What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Dug out some parts I had stashed away. Cleaned under the truck so I can crawl around on clean concrete instead of dirt that has collected over the last few months. Charged the battery. Checked the coolant level, and the radiator is dry. Interesting. The system is sealed last time I checked. Need to investigate the lower hose first. May be the radiator has a pinhole leak somewhere. I don't recall seeing any leaks while it sat, though. Worked on my other square (1991 Jeep Cherokee) instead. https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/double-dingos-1991-jeep-cherokee.31093/post-706572

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Finally got around to getting my visors covered. Been putting it off because I was NOT going to use the local guy that did my dash. Found a dude in Elgin, east of Lawton that quoted $50 for the pair with me supplying the vinyl. Just picked them up & thought he did a great job. He basically rebuilt them. All new cardboard & foam headliner material before stitched up. Waiting for Heath & KD to come over so won’t get around to getting the arms in & mounted. Should tomorrow hope. Anyhow...
You must be registered for see images attach
are OE ones inherently rare or sought or did you just want to preserve your OE ones by making them like new?

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
are OE ones inherently rare or sought or did you just want to preserve your OE ones by making them like new?
Several companies offer them for our trucks. I do business with Stock Interiors & they price them @ 118.95. Since I had enough vinyl left over it was a no-brainer way to go for me.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Pulled the heater blower motor off my CUCV, its been blowing the fuse every time I turn it on. Seemed to spin free, so I bench checked it, and it works fine. It has been replaced before, because there is a NAPA sticker on it. So now I am not sure what is causing the fuse to blow. Really need a defroster since this is my plow truck! I'll trynto chase the wiring down later and see if I can find anything there. Thought this was going to be a quick fix :confused:

Not an electrical expert in the slightest, but ...

What size is the fuse? Can you bench test the blower motor to see if it is pulling more amps than the fuse rating ?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not an electrical expert in the slightest, but ...

What size is the fuse? Can you bench test the blower motor to see if it is pulling more amps than the fuse rating ?
I think I'm going to check the resistor first. Snowed today, luckily not enough that I had to plow. Hopefully
I can get to it tomorrow.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
cut a piece of Plexiglas for the 3rd tail light

i see you have a auto dim mirror. source from a mid 2000s chevy truck? temp and compas? blue LCD

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
i see you have a auto dim mirror. source from a mid 2000s chevy truck? temp and compas? blue LCD
I think I pulled it from a 01 Tahoe ? but yes Gentex auto dim with compass and outside temp. If you get one dont forget to get the temp sensor behind the grill

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I ask lol because

My car has one and one is laying in my pile of parts as welll as a rainsense sensor but that is only taped to it. But, sadly, its not the same mirror. Its got compass, and its got dim. my HVAC has the temp and gm couldnt toss us a bone and just use two places for it. Dummmbbb. BUT they work and were with cars so who am I to complain right.

Anyway, sadly, the mirrors even tho they have same display the circuitry cant be activated as it doesnt exist for temp. Worst is, the harness in grille literally exists too. just used for hvac. Like its actually wired to it even !!!

But since i have the free one with compass at least I figure I would buy a button and install it on one of the trucks. both need a mirror. f150 has a suction cup one but it does get used at night so its kinda senseful there. but Meh. Electra needs one. The OE mirror was like 15, 18 inches or somewhere in there.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I ask lol because

My car has one and one is laying in my pile of parts as welll as a rainsense sensor but that is only taped to it. But, sadly, its not the same mirror. Its got compass, and its got dim. my HVAC has the temp and gm couldnt toss us a bone and just use two places for it. Dummmbbb. BUT they work and were with cars so who am I to complain right.

Anyway, sadly, the mirrors even tho they have same display the circuitry cant be activated as it doesnt exist for temp. Worst is, the harness in grille literally exists too. just used for hvac. Like its actually wired to it even !!!

But since i have the free one with compass at least I figure I would buy a button and install it on one of the trucks. both need a mirror. f150 has a suction cup one but it does get used at night so its kinda senseful there. but Meh. Electra needs one. The OE mirror was like 15, 18 inches or somewhere in there.
does my temp display being high compared to actual temp have anything to do with what your talking about? I've got one, and ran one sensor under the cab.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welded up the mirror holes on the passenger door (there were 6) and then moved up my dumbo mirror just a bit to correct my error when installing them the first time.

Also realized the door needs replaced because a previous owner felt like thick bondo was a better repair then metal working the door so I’m just going to track down a new door here soon.

Next up for this door is converting it to crank window (which will happen to all 4 doors as I move around the truck).

Pictures posted in my build thread (link in signature)

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Also realized the door needs replaced because a previous owner felt like thick bondo was a better repair then metal working the door so I’m just going to track down a new door here soon.

Lol exactly why I need to replace my doors. Both are like this.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
does my temp display being high compared to actual temp have anything to do with what your talking about? I've got one, and ran one sensor under the cab.
I would think if you ran the sensor under the cab and not in front of radiator with some sealing between its spot and the road isheating it up. the sensors were designed with airflow over them in mind. IF Its the one I AM thinking of. GM Used multiple gen-tex sensors and It appears to also depend on HVAC needs.

my car has the similar sensor maybe similar where that sensor is both in the direct airflow int the condensor visible from the from of car through grille, its right on the edger of thjat line. the car has a plastic shield between road and engine.
if the one on my car doesnt match, thats okay since It doesnt read on mirror but the HVAC does. fairly accurate.

But based on the plastic shield and distance from ground and the sensors data is ignored for various reasons to ensure accuracy, I would find out if your mirror has that kind of feature built into it or the sensor , if it does, it’s prob the road. If it’s not, the best way to get a reading would be to find a place like maybe the air going into the core support for your intake. That would be high up , but not takin engine heat because the air would basically move one way enough to not radiate back I would think.

If your temp then ultimately reads a consistent but wrong temp, an electronic wiz could change resistance with a little work lol. But I would make sure high quality wires are for sure not adding any resistance over the run.

And they do make more sensor types so I would after all that and issue, maybe just try a similar year replacement if yours is gm truck blue on display

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I would for sure make sure under the area you mount the sensor is a plastic barrier so an air damn or seal or something that would just block radiating heat from below. A smaall thing preventing radiator too unless you have a condenser.

No direct light on the sensor or touching anything with the probe esp metal. I suspect under the cab may even catch a lot of rays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef