What have you done to your square lately??

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Ouch...
Just spent 2k on a brand new 350 crate engine for my 86.
You must be registered for see images attach

And finally got to the junkyard to pick up the blown up 350 so I can get my core charge back. Should be able to strip some good parts of it before I give it back.
that may be normal for these days, been out of the 350 engine for a few years......but for that price, I'd spent another $1k for an LS swap. It can be done.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
We just keep turning the key and it just keeps thumping along.
Knock on wood it stays that way.

Soon though, it will get new tires.
These were pretty well done in August of 2019 when we bought the wheels.
Now they are bald because Max likes big block burnouts...

Just have to figure out what ones I want.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Just knocked out a huge punch list for the 79 today …did a transmission felt gasket and filter service, new front shocks, new leaf springs, put a new printed circuit in, and while the cluster was out I gave the backing plate a light dusting of paint, all new 168 bulbs went in, and now after successfully chasing all the electrical gremlins out and all my factory gauges are working as intended…

After 12 hours I called it a day, but tomorrow I’ll be putting an oem radio/speaker harness and speakers in, and buttoning the dash back up after today’s cluster adventure.

Also got a Mar-k bed wood kit in last week so that’ll get started maybe next week and with that, I think I’m maybe done restoring this truck?

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic SB
Engine Size
Danged ol' 305
Nothing today.......
Made the 550 mile round trip to Nashville Super Speedway and drooled at all the nice trucks !!
Great show that fortunately, dodged the rain there. Will try to post some pics tomorrow.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just knocked out a huge punch list for the 79 today …did a transmission felt gasket and filter service, new front shocks, new leaf springs, put a new printed circuit in, and while the cluster was out I gave the backing plate a light dusting of paint, all new 168 bulbs went in, and now after successfully chasing all the electrical gremlins out and all my factory gauges are working as intended…

After 12 hours I called it a day, but tomorrow I’ll be putting an oem radio/speaker harness and speakers in, and buttoning the dash back up after today’s cluster adventure.

Also got a Mar-k bed wood kit in last week so that’ll get started maybe next week and with that, I think I’m maybe done restoring this truck?
Wow. That’s a busy day. Hell of a job

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
Not a square, but still a Chevrolet. Earlier this week i Swapped out the single reservoir master cylinder for a dual reservoir, freshened up all 4 drums- new hardware, new shoes, new drums, new cylinders, front flexhose, made some new stainless lines to account for the additional reservoir on the MC, and then re-plumbed the entire brake line system for good measure.
I’ve gotten so proficient with drum work yall… I’m averaging about 23min to take everything off, clean em up, install new hardware and shoes, and readjustment

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
Now I’m gonna sit down at the jewelry bench and engrave these GSI machine and fab billet 73-87 doorhandles

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not a square, but still a Chevrolet. Earlier this week i Swapped out the single reservoir master cylinder for a dual reservoir, freshened up all 4 drums- new hardware, new shoes, new drums, new cylinders, front flexhose, made some new stainless lines to account for the additional reservoir on the MC, and then re-plumbed the entire brake line system for good measure.
I’ve gotten so proficient with drum work yall… I’m averaging about 23min to take everything off, clean em up, install new hardware and shoes, and readjustment
Nice '64 :)

@78C10BigTen

Mr Clean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 82 2WD Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker

I don't want to be the barer of bad news.................You'll never be done......ever!!!!! LOL

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
ordered bedsides for the K10. Will be here Tuesday. Sucks it's $1,060 for both sides.....but would have been worse online. Got 'em from a guy I know that I found on craigslist years ago not far from here.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Nice bel air!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
305ci V8
Made some big leaps on my 78 k20 engine.
Got the heads torqued down, the starter in, the starter all wired up and working, the harmonic balancer and crank pulley wheel on, the exhaust manifolds on, got lifters, pushrod, and rockers in and lash preset, spun the oil pump until oil came out of the rockers, got the intake manifold on and torqued down, the thermostat and water inlet bell installed, the distributor plopped in and set perfectly to exactly like it was when I took it out, the water pump, power steering pump, and fuel pump in, the water pump pulley and fan on, a couple little sensors in place, and the main positive and negative cables redone and in.
Made my own starter switch, got it to crank over happily.
Hopefully tomorrow I can get the carb on, some fuel lines hooked up, and steal some plugs and wires from my 305, and maybe get it to fire up.
For the truck, first time in like 5 years, for the engine, first time since 1998. Thatd be nice.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hmm, that's what I suspected. I need more of a "manifold shrinker".
Might be able to take the ones of my core engine. They've been bolted up all this time, hopefully there still the same size.
the only difference between them fitting and not is how much pressure you need to ram that square peg into the round hole. God made you the hammer and everythign else is nails. you know what to do

and when they break or you break or crack some bolt holes on the head...... what do you do, those old smog heads ya know they just keep findidng ways to disappoint. yup. the heads. Can you show us the alignment of your manifolds? if they arent THAT bad you should be able to ream a hole straight if it was slightly pointed outward but like almost fit, because the angle of attack may be the problem more than how far to one side.. but this would be a flatness thing not so much warp outward like pivot wise from the center part.
have an AC mount like that green brace frommiddle to front? Maybe could be used to encourage discourse in those,,, bolt receptacles(that sounds less bad but its still gonna make someone giggle... well call it a draw) .maybe
then there is that upside down U shape piece at the back. No idea what the **** that is for but the two SBC have them between someebolt holes. Maybe it does something

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
305ci V8
Hmm, that's what I suspected. I need more of a "manifold shrinker".
Might be able to take the ones of my core engine. They've been bolted up all this time, hopefully there still the same size.
So today I rechecked all 3 sets manifolds I had laying around. None fit, still fighting me, even with the persuasion of a prybar.
Took the ones off my core motor. They fit just fine. Got everything bolted up with no issue. Those were still bolted up to the engine, so I guess in the time it took me to swap them over, they didn't change size, haha.
Only problem is, they're from a 98 Tahoe, so they don't fit my premade chevy header pipes I had, so now I'll have to make something different, and the drivers side has a hole in it for an EGR line, so I'll have to find a cap for that. But they bolted up, so no big deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somjef