What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Quick question on that:
First time pulling an engine out of a square that still has its cab, is it possible the get to the bell housing bolts without pulling the engine and trans together?

A long extension and a good swivel socket or a regular swivel on the end of the extension (with some electrical tape keeping it from flopping around so much) will get right to the bellhousing bolts from behind the trans. even went at them that way when the body mounts were shot. Auto and manual transmissions both. But i'm talking like a 3 foot extension, I spent the money after fighting it one time for a good snap on extension. It's the go-to now and have friends ask to borrow it when doing that kind of work.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Quick question on that:
First time pulling an engine out of a square that still has its cab, is it possible the get to the bell housing bolts without pulling the engine and trans together?

Should be able to from underneath.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
on my quest to find the correct EGR valve for the 350 TBI, I replaced the TPS, EGR solenoid, and EGR valve (2 times, 2nd time with the correct part).

I also replaced the leaking windshield washer pump with a NOS I found on ebay. made in England!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
A long extension and a good swivel socket or a regular swivel on the end of the extension (with some electrical tape keeping it from flopping around so much) will get right to the bellhousing bolts from behind the trans. even went at them that way when the body mounts were shot. Auto and manual transmissions both. But i'm talking like a 3 foot extension, I spent the money after fighting it one time for a good snap on extension. It's the go-to now and have friends ask to borrow it when doing that kind of work.

Got them all out last night. Got them the old fashion way, didnt have to move the engine out or undo the transfer.
I used a box end wrench to get the top 3, and used a ratchet to get the rest.
It's funny you say that about the extension. I used every extension I own and a swivel to get to them. Ended up being about 3 foot of extensions.

The only thing that's holding my engine in now is gravity. Just need some nice weather and some time.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
on my quest to find the correct EGR valve for the 350 TBI, I replaced the TPS, EGR solenoid, and EGR valve (2 times, 2nd time with the correct part).

I also replaced the leaking windshield washer pump with a NOS I found on ebay. made in England!
i heard those tbi egr can be finicky to find the right one. do you have an older tbi or a newer one, older prob didnt use electronic controls but the newer would

I believe 91 or 92, maybe even.. 90? Was gms starting to use electronic egr. i think it coincided with enhanced evap systems and electronic trans controls because they were able to dial in when those systems operated as to be seamless and more efficient, such as better times to purge evap

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
i heard those tbi egr can be finicky to find the right one. do you have an older tbi or a newer one, older prob didnt use electronic controls but the newer would

it's a 1990 350 TBI (v1500 suburban). I posted about it in a separate thread, and included the correct Delco part number. hopefully it will save somebody a headache.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
it's a 1990 350 TBI (v1500 suburban). I posted about it in a separate thread, and included the correct Delco part number. hopefully it will save somebody a headache.
i know my uncle has a 90 van and he trried using it on his 95 van and he had a headache. obd1.5 was prob the biggest reason, calibrations and pcm specifc controlling the other

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Quick question on that:
I can tell you after all the motor n trans swaps ive done yes you can get the bell bolts in the truck. 18" extension and a swivel works well. From undernieth and behind that is...

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Needed something above the blacked out badges. Alaska flag.

You must be registered for see images attach

That is most excellent. I like how subtle it is.

I could never put the flag of this $#ithole state on anything except toilet paper.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I can tell you after all the motor n trans swaps ive done yes you can get the bell bolts in the truck. 18" extension and a swivel works well. From undernieth and behind that is...

Thank you. Yeah, I figured that out once I got out there and looked at it. I'm just a noob to pulling a motor on something other than a rolling chassis. I'll usually just take the whole cab off and work on it standing over it. I like this truck too much to tear it apart.
Ended up using every extension I had, about 3 feet, lol.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
A couple saturdays ago, I started my morning by dropping a freshened up engine into the gmc, new flywheel, new starter, made a new engine harness and got all my gauges working except the voltmeter. Had it driving by 4pm.
New neutral safety switch got put on after cleaning up the NSS wiring and got all my back up lights working, still need to tap into the rear light harness for the addition of the stepside fender marker lights/sockets

Waitin on some parts to get here before the weekend, but should have this truck just about rebuilt by the end of the weekend

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
A buddy took a pic of me doing the same exact thing. Impact with a 3ft extension, 9/16th swivel. Makes life so much easier

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Fan Shroud came today and in seeing how it fit, I found out the water pump needs to be replaced. The screw hole is stripped out now. Guess when I replaced the clutch on the fan I got longer screws that that was the last time they'd hold. Lol

I have to do some fabbing to the shroud but I think I can get it to work. So now got an extra job to do this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody