What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I'll probably eat my words later when you post a new thread about the truck you bought.... but that thing is awful. Just part the plastic stuff out, toss the rest lol

If the body is that bad, the frame has to be structurally unsound and really unsafe to drive

If you're wanting yourself a burb for a couple grand, i can look around on my local listings and fwd whatever i find to you, just tell me what you're looking for in a suburban... and..... it'll be 95% clean steel, 0% bondo, 5% rust

Actually the underside is really clean, the floors are perfect, and it runs like a top.

That's why I'm actually considering getting all new sheet metal for it (I can get it as wholesale since I'm an employee).

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It was like -5F out when I dropped the oil pan to fix this, so I didn't feel like doing more than replace 2 rod bearings that were physically loose.

Sent from my SM-G889A using Tapatalk

I kind of get it, but if you are already going through the effort and time to pull 2 of them, you might as well do all of it. A cheap pop-up or mobile garage type structure(or even a harbor freight tarp over the top of the truck) and a propane blast heater could probably be done for under $100 and make it bearable to have fixed it somewhat right. Unfortunately it's too late now, but for future reference... always replace all the bearings if you feel that ANY of them need to be replaced. The time consuming and difficult part is getting to the bearings. Once you are there it is a trivial amount of extra time to just change them all.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I think that thing embodies everything Maaco is all in one vehicle... lol. If they GAVE you that thing, it still wouldn't be a good deal.

Yea, this maaco used to be really sketchy up until about 10 years ago when it got bought out, now we do pretty good work.

This truck hasn't seen the light of day since then.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I kind of get it, but if you are already going through the effort and time to pull 2 of them, you might as well do all of it. A cheap pop-up or mobile garage type structure(or even a harbor freight tarp over the top of the truck) and a propane blast heater could probably be done for under $100 and make it bearable to have fixed it somewhat right. Unfortunately it's too late now, but for future reference... always replace all the bearings if you feel that ANY of them need to be replaced. The time consuming and difficult part is getting to the bearings. Once you are there it is a trivial amount of extra time to just change them all.
Yea, I already had the 292 that I'm going to put in at that point, so I didn't want to invest any more time than I had to into this junk engine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just enough to get the truck to last through the winter.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Needed a key chain for the square. Had just a ring. So found this one on Amazon for 6 bucks and it come with valve stem caps. Win, win. Lol

Also found out that the screw head that holds the pin in place for the spider gears is all beat up and can't get a socket on it without beating it on. I'm gonna try that with some heat and see what happens. If idk. Vice grips didn't work either. Figures lol

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds

When I said that this thing is about 60% bondo, I wasn't joking.

It's got even more bondo than the '74 had when I bought it.

And rust in a lot of weird places.

I'm still not quite sure if I want to embark on a project like this since it pretty much needs a new body.

What does the interior look like? I would tackle the hell outta that!!!!

I LOVE suburbans! I am still searching for my dad's 78 2WD trailering special 454......it was local, but no luck yet.

If I were to do that suburban I would probably put on a clip from a 77/78 Suburban. Or even the 74/75 style as I love that deep inset grill.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
What does the interior look like? I would tackle the hell outta that!!!!

I LOVE suburbans! I am still searching for my dad's 78 2WD trailering special 454......it was local, but no luck yet.

If I were to do that suburban I would probably put on a clip from a 77/78 Suburban. Or even the 74/75 style as I love that deep inset grill.
The interior is there but not perfect (just normal wear).

I'd love to put a 73-80 clip on that truck as well (Like my '74).

I also like the early facelift style grilles.

I'm probably not going to end up with the truck though.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
The interior is there but not perfect (just normal wear).

I'd love to put a 73-80 clip on that truck as well (Like my '74).

I also like the early facelift style grilles.

I'm probably not going to end up with the truck though.

What are they asking for it?

There is a 77 Burb locally for sale, looks rust free, 454 & TH400 trans, 2WD with barn doors (which I dislike), and they are asking $2,500 for it. I would love to get it, but don't want the wrath of my wife coming down on me!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
added washer fluid today. The crack I had repaired worked its way up and leaked fluid. Said screw it and ordered a replacement reservoir.

Was half tempted to make a fitting to screw on the jug the fluid comes in and use it as a reservoir, but thought am I really that cheap? lol

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I was cleaning the SS engine bay when a guy that I haven't seen since high school show up. He found me on Facebook and lives just down the road. I had told him I was going to have to change the spider gears in the truck. Told him I was work on it tomorrow and try and get that rounded bolt out.

He said show me. Got under there and he looked at and said I'll get that with a small channel locks I got. I Said I'll take any ideas because I tried vise grips. I was thinking that's not gonna work.

So went to his house and looked at his 2011 Shelby stang with supercharger. Got 17k in miles on it. We take it back to my house. It's quick!

Get back and we get under there and he starts to try and turn it. It moves a little then it doesn't. I jump up to see if I could find my butane torch for some heat. I'm in the garage a minute. Next thing I know he's walking up to me saying it broke. ****!

But,he's got the bolt out, it broke back at the end.
I couldn't believe it. He said I told you I'd get it. So now this mf saved me a ton with a God dam pair of small channel locks. Lol

Long story short we git the pin out and other gear and washer.

Lol I still can't believe he got it that fast. That's another Facebook hook up I've gotten. It got me my 454 and transmission and my rally wheels and tires. Batting 1000 there. Lol

Think I need to get another pinion gear, Mines chipped. But, for now it's beer drinking time.

:cheers:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
not on the square, but the wifes 2019 Equinox. We got it in 08/19. Well she hasn't driven it much....damn thing has only 5,400 miles on it. She's not making the 3 hour trips to TN anymore.

Anyway, the damn change oil warning came on about 1,500 miles ago. I said no friggin' way I'm changing the oil. So here we were at 5,300 and she said, you should prolly change the oil in it. It's synthetic.....should be good for 7,500!!

But ya'll know the drill, yes I changed the damn oil on a vehicle that only has 5,400 miles on it lol. Was going to put Amazon basics into it like I do the truck, but Mobil 1 was the same price so I went mobil.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
not on the square, but the wifes 2019 Equinox. We got it in 08/19. Well she hasn't driven it much....damn thing has only 5,400 miles on it. She's not making the 3 hour trips to TN anymore.

Anyway, the damn change oil warning came on about 1,500 miles ago. I said no friggin' way I'm changing the oil. So here we were at 5,300 and she said, you should prolly change the oil in it. It's synthetic.....should be good for 7,500!!

But ya'll know the drill, yes I changed the damn oil on a vehicle that only has 5,400 miles on it lol. Was going to put Amazon basics into it like I do the truck, but Mobil 1 was the same price so I went mobil.

I don't know which engine they had in '19 but the wife's '11 was rough on oil. If you didn't use full synthetic it would turn to tar before the oil change interval. And synthetic didn't look so great by then either.

Her '20 has the 1.5 turbo, and I wouldn't push the interval with that one either. Although at least they had the good sense to water-cool the turbo's bearing housing. But that 0W-20 makes me nervous.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I don't know which engine they had in '19 but the wife's '11 was rough on oil. If you didn't use full synthetic it would turn to tar before the oil change interval. And synthetic didn't look so great by then either.

Her '20 has the 1.5 turbo, and I wouldn't push the interval with that one either. Although at least they had the good sense to water-cool the turbo's bearing housing. But that 0W-20 makes me nervous.
@Blue Ox .yeah Derek I know what you mean. My Bride's 2015 Tahoe, 5.3 runs 0-20. We have 92,000 on it and everything is good, so far, knock on wood. But really ? "0" -20 ??? Been real religious about servicing it, every 3k to 4k miles or so,(old habit). We will keep this one til it drops or I do!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84