What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Just looked it up. Looks basically like the pump I have, except would need hose adapters.
Maybe more reliable? Several smart people told me those pumps don’t live long pulling fuel a long ways. They’re pushers and ideally gravity or at least siphon fed (lower than pickup). Will see how long it lasts.
If I knew this engine was staying in it forever or was planning on EFI, I’d replace them now.

That's why they're mounted on the frame. Under the truck, close to the tank. The kit comes with several size hose adapters. Also comes with a mounting bracket.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I think the 454 Qjet is a 600cfm carb. But I could be wrong.

On the 750 the primary / secondary apear identical. The 600 has significantly smaller primaries but secondaries seem to be the same size as the 750.

Ive found its best if you are not giving it a full pump shot and its really easy to adjust the acceleration pump on the eddy carbs. If your engine is not "built" a full shot is likely lugging your motor. Or thats at least how it seems.
Early Qjets are 750 cfm and the later ones are like 795/800 cfm. Properly tuned, they are really hard to beat for an all-around carb.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
You can keep on posting photos of your truck.
I keep saving them for screen backgrounds.

It is a beautiful thing sir.
Good work on shining it up.
You should have no issues at all drawing a crowd.

that is a hell of a compliment, yet great idea at the same time

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
removed the door moulding from the replacement passenger door and used the 3M wheel to get rid of the sticky and the pinstrips. Sanded with 80 grit. 120/220 and primer coming tomorrow. Also dug out the spare dash and threw some more total boat on the front by the window.

Also ordered some Monroe Load Adjusting shocks for the rear. Hopefully it doesn't mess with the rake on the truck. It's pretty level now and I like the stance it has. May have to return to Amazon if it lifts it too much......then call Monroe to figure out what size I need.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
As is turns out, everything is perfect, exhaust clears, factory 3 speed x member works for th400..
Im happy..

I got some light on the subject as to why i havent gotten the transmission parts.... the shop has struck out with 5 different suppliers... theyre really struggling to find a 6 clutch 34 element sprauge direct drum for th400 im gonna build.....
Sheesh.

SO, someone did send him a rollarized 6 clutch drum, and he is getting a 34 element 5 clutch drum (so close), i told him about me having a machine shop at my finger tips, and if all it takes it remachining a different snap ring groove, milling a floor out, or taking some off the apply piston to accept 6 clutches, it was no problemo!

Hes gonna compare the 5 and 6 clutch drums and let me know if i can just do the work at home.....

In other news, i was needing another reaction carrier...(mine was damaged), HotRodPC sent me one that was NICE.

I chucked her up on the lathe, turned .005" off of it, and polished it to a fine FINE finish.....

Trans shop said they have my steels, clutches, bushings, shims/bearings/washers and all ready.... just waiting on that drum... so im very close to assembly. Still need to buy a 2500 stall tc, and shift kit.
I decided against the transbrake... thats a bit harsh on my front pump with maxed out 200 psi pressure just sitting and idling....

On a side note, the "Under Construction" projects dont appear in recents... so if youre wondering why i never post..... its because you can't see it unless you go straight to it....

Link is here if anyone wants to watch it: (if not, i dont care either lol) just throwing it out there....

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/vinces-79-c10-shortbox.32993/page-5

You must be registered for see images attach

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Rained here all day so nothing fir me. But, got a guy wanting to look at the SS tomorrow if the weather is good. So that's good, we'll see if he does.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
As is turns out, everything is perfect, exhaust clears, factory 3 speed x member works for th400..
Im happy..

I got some light on the subject as to why i havent gotten the transmission parts.... the shop has struck out with 5 different suppliers... theyre really struggling to find a 6 clutch 34 element sprauge direct drum for th400 im gonna build.....
Sheesh.

SO, someone did send him a rollarized 6 clutch drum, and he is getting a 34 element 5 clutch drum (so close), i told him about me having a machine shop at my finger tips, and if all it takes it remachining a different snap ring groove, milling a floor out, or taking some off the apply piston to accept 6 clutches, it was no problemo!

Hes gonna compare the 5 and 6 clutch drums and let me know if i can just do the work at home.....

In other news, i was needing another reaction carrier...(mine was damaged), HotRodPC sent me one that was NICE.

I chucked her up on the lathe, turned .005" off of it, and polished it to a fine FINE finish.....

Trans shop said they have my steels, clutches, bushings, shims/bearings/washers and all ready.... just waiting on that drum... so im very close to assembly. Still need to buy a 2500 stall tc, and shift kit.
I decided against the transbrake... thats a bit harsh on my front pump with maxed out 200 psi pressure just sitting and idling....

On a side note, the "Under Construction" projects dont appear in recents... so if youre wondering why i never post..... its because you can't see it unless you go straight to it....

Link is here if anyone wants to watch it: (if not, i dont care either lol) just throwing it out there....

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/vinces-79-c10-shortbox.32993/page-5

Vince, you might want to try Sonnax. They have a lot of performance stuff for the th400. They don't sell direct to the public, but you can get thier products from Summit if your transmission shop doesn't have an account. Good luck

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Early Qjets are 750 cfm and the later ones are like 795/800 cfm. Properly tuned, they are really hard to beat for an all-around carb.

Really? Thats nuts. I was WAY wrong. Idk what I read that led me to believe they were 600 cfm. Any good threads on this topic?

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Check this out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Vince, you might want to try Sonnax. They have a lot of performance stuff for the th400. They don't sell direct to the public, but you can get thier products from Summit if your transmission shop doesn't have an account. Good luck

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I looked.... there didnt seem to be a whole lot.

Wtf?

If anyone here has a th400 out of a 1 ton truck, or pieces from one.... please contact me

It needs to be 88 or newer

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Why do you prefer a mechanical to the in-tank route? I'm still learning theory behind all of these systems and am genuinely curious.

Tbh......i think I'm more likely to go the in-tank route. My reasoning is that i'm kind of considering swapping the carb for an EFI set up. Pretty sure I would have to go back to an electric pump if I do end up doing this. The fancy Holley unit requires some 58psi.

This thing needs to be daily drivable and get better than 5mpg (like she is). I'm driving her for work. Already yanked the eddy 750 off and went to a 600. I do believe 750 is EXCESSIVE for an unbuilt motor.

I do have access to a lift and all the fancy tools you could ever want....so dropping the tank is not quite as much of a suck fest. Ive also got zero adversion to "installing" a service hatch for ease of future repairs. This truck has been molested every which way....so it cant "hurt" the value.
Because it’s only $15 for a decent mechanical pump and it doesn’t rule out doing anything in-tank in the future. For a good quality in-tank setup you will need the 87 TBI tanks with baffling, 87 TBI sending unit, and a high pressure pump like the EP381 that was stock in the 96-2000+ trucks that also run on the 4bar(58psi) fuel pressure. That’s going to run you many hundreds of dollars and will also require different fuel lines and connections depending on what you are connecting to. I would just do the mechanical, clean all that garbage out and drive it with peace of mind until you decide to do EFI, at which point you can change it all around for that.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Because it’s only $15 for a decent mechanical pump and it doesn’t rule out doing anything in-tank in the future. For a good quality in-tank setup you will need the 87 TBI tanks with baffling, 87 TBI sending unit, and a high pressure pump like the EP381 that was stock in the 96-2000+ trucks that also run on the 4bar(58psi) fuel pressure. That’s going to run you many hundreds of dollars and will also require different fuel lines and connections depending on what you are connecting to. I would just do the mechanical, clean all that garbage out and drive it with peace of mind until you decide to do EFI, at which point you can change it all around for that.

.....I believe that they have allready pretty well messed up the fuel lines.....but im sure I could figure out how to hook it up. I'll buy one and keep it handy. Instilation looks like it should be pretty straight forward.

Just pulled my distributor.....tbh im kinda suprised that it ran as well as it did.

Boy....i love learning lessons the hard way.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'm going to change diff gear oil today. What weight do yall use? 75-90 or 75w-140?

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Axle u joint, some prepping and bumper guard cleaning in my thread linked below