What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
i'd kill to have a skilled mechanic/Square Body veteran like you <2 hours from me haha

Meh, im not really a veteran. Ive been playing around with squarebodies since i was a little **** with my dad.

I learned how to run a milling machine, cut and weld ****, change oil, sparkplugs, set timing, and bolt on **** at a very young age.

I just maybe have a more in depth understand of mechanics and physics than others on a general level.
Im a machinist for a living, but not the button pusher type, everything is 1 off parts, so it hones my skills in all that. Tolerances, clearances, endplay, thrust, backlash, etc etc are all required knowledge in the life of a tool and die maker.... so its EZ to apply in these old trucks... i work in .0001 tolerances, these old trucks work in .005-.015" tolerances.

Some people think im a some sort of genius here, im really not. Im just practicing basic, 101, general, rules and tolerances that have been around 6x longer than me. That knowledge just got lost in this "push button" world we live in.

Im 27 (in 2 more days), so im not really old, jusy maybe done alot of stuff

I intentionally call it "b-rate" (as my title states) because im working literally in my backyard, from a 18x16 building with heat and ac and power, and ALOT of tools ive bought since i had a job as a teen, with a carport butted up to it, all the while fueled by ALOT of miller high life.

My life, and story in a short post. Im really a nobody lol, not a veteran

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Meh, im not really a veteran. Ive been playing around with squarebodies since i was a little **** with my dad.

I learned how to run a milling machine, cut and weld ****, change oil, sparkplugs, set timing, and bolt on **** at a very young age.

I just maybe have a more in depth understand of mechanics and physics than others on a general level.
Im a machinist for a living, but not the button pusher type, everything is 1 off parts, so it hones my skills in all that. Tolerances, clearances, endplay, thrust, backlash, etc etc are all required knowledge in the life of a tool and die maker.... so its EZ to apply in these old trucks... i work in .0001 tolerances, these old trucks work in .005-.015" tolerances.

Some people think im a some sort of genius here, im really not. Im just practicing basic, 101, general, rules and tolerances that have been around 6x longer than me. That knowledge just got lost in this "push button" world we live in.

Im 27 (in 2 more days), so im not really old, jusy maybe done alot of stuff

I intentionally call it "b-rate" (as my title states) because im working literally in my backyard, from a 18x16 building with heat and ac and power, and ALOT of tools ive bought since i had a job as a teen, with a carport butted up to it, all the while fueled by ALOT of miller high life.

My life, and story in a short post. Im really a nobody lol, not a veteran

all great traits to have though, no doubt about that. not to mention the tools and garage. and let it be known that not just anyone can build a K5ton, let alone from scratch and working. something like that at age 26 deserves an atta boy

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well not square but mini square. Had a real bad u joint causin a bad shake and crunchy noises so today i bit the bullet and replaced 2 of the 3. Sucked! Took me about 5 hours with a food break in the middle. But now shes quiet n smooth. The grease zerks are annoying on these btw!

You must be registered for see images attach

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Keep it short, got the front driveshaft in finally and got the completely new (refurbished) gas tank back in. More in my construction thread, linked below

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Alright I guess but I still stand by my yay and am glad your brakes finally work. That **** kept snowballing on you like crazy. I couldn't bring myself to like any of your other posts leading up because each one seemed to be the light at the end of the tunnel but ended up being a head banging into a brick wall.:banghead:

Remember I'm pulling for ya, were all in their together.

Thanks. Your always making smart ass comments (hence the name) it's hard to tell the difference. But, thank you it has been one thing after another with the brakes. Lol

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Topped off the oil, the washer fluid, sprayed the bird poop off , and added MMO to the tank yesterday.

Drove it today. :) ( to work )

Had to slam on the brakes on the Beltway - watched some Tundra move over and cut off a SUV that then drifted in my lane. Could see it happening, but did not slow down before I had to.

No one got hit, but ****** - pull your heads out of your asses , people, and look before you change lanes ... :mad:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Got the truck pulled into the shop after removing the bed and cleaning up the back end with the pressure washer.

The removed the rear end and leaf springs. Got the rear end completely disassembled and cleaned up. It will be getting a full rebuild including all bearings, brakes, hardware, and a Yukon Grizzly locker.

This thing was completely filthy and lots of metal shavings in the oil... not sure why it had so much metal. Took a solid 2 hours of scraping to get all the caked oil and dirt off the outside of the case.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Also, started refurbishing the old leaf springs from the 1997 Suburban donor truck. Springs on the left are the original springs from the 1980. Ones on the right are the 97 60” springs.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Forgot to post the picture of my spiffy new diff cover I added on Sunday when I changed the fluid. Going to clean/paint/undercoat the rear half of the frame and the underside of the bed this summer so it all jives with the front half of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
With our weekend cruise-in starting this Friday, I took the week off to start the cleaning process and in between try to get some more work done on my backyard project.

I was going to spend the day under the hood polishing and touching up anything painted. Tuesday, for polishing & waxing exterior. Wednesday, cleaning the interior. Thursday would be used to recoup and rest.

Was going to get started around 7:30 and my plans went to crap...literally. The the next 30ish minutes, I had 4 rds of explosive spraying from the rear lower exit and 5 from the top upper. Went back to bed and stayed til 12:30. Couldn’t make it to my bathroom so I was forced to use Tina’s. Another 2 rds of lower. I hope I’m able to clean hers before she gets home.

A few minutes ago I suddenly had to get up again, but made it to mine, before 3 more rds came up thru the top again.

There’s a nasty stomach virus going around here. If there’s something to catch...I usually do. Only good thing about this is it’s not the day before or the starting day. Hopefully this will be over tomorrow & I can get started. If not...it’ll have to be run what ya brung.

So, I didn’t get anything done on my square today.:puke:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Topped off the oil, the washer fluid, sprayed the bird poop off , and added MMO to the tank yesterday.

Drove it today. :) ( to work )

Had to slam on the brakes on the Beltway - watched some Tundra move over and cut off a SUV that then drifted in my lane. Could see it happening, but did not slow down before I had to.

No one got hit, but ****** - pull your heads out of your asses , people, and look before you change lanes ... :mad:

Hmm, @Mr Clean drives a Tundra and lives in Texas :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad