What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
Been working on getting the computers and all the other swap harness junk mounted under the dash. There is ENTIRELY too much **** to hide and NOT enough room. I used a combination of industrial strength Velcro and zip ties

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What harness did you go with?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
[QUOTE="Skidmark97, post:

Why not get a rear license plate holder that flips down, to access the fuel filler, from an earlier car. It should bolt straight on. I know my '67 Buick has one and I'm sure there were plenty of other GM vehicles that had the same thing. I used one for the rear plate of my C10, to access the spare wheel winder hole and mechanism I installed.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
started tinkering around with paint repair on the old girl. Seen lots of people in the last few years doing the whole "patina" thing or preserving their real patina/weathering on their trucks, and since repainting the entire truck is another year off or so... Most you guys know the drivers side is the "good" side of my truck and the passenger side has lots of clear coat peeling and flaking from being exposed to the sun on that side of the barn it was stored in for years. So long story short, I got a few supplies and my little spot gun and decided I wasn't going to bring the truck out of the garage in the spring looking the way it does now so I spot sanded, prepped and spot cleared a few parts of the truck to see what it would turn out like, my wife and I both agree this is the direction its going to go for the time being and with a little more time spent on the prep work I think I can sand and clear the body from the chrome trim line up and make her look a little less ugly for the time being! In the last picture where you can see I got into the primer a touch, I left the upper half above the line alone to see how much transition there would be. I think I can make it about 90% less noticeable once i'm done.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
it makes quite a bit of difference, this is with 2 coats of clear on that top right side of the tailgate.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
it makes quite a bit of difference, this is with 2 coats of clear on that top right side of the tailgate.

I did something similar.

sanded 400 grit first, then 1000 grit(I think?), then sprayed with a Rustoleum 2in1 rattle can. There was a Rose color that was an amazing match. Not perfect.

You can see the top of the left front fender was beaten up by the sun. My truck had a good side and a bad side as well. Stored in an attached carport for 9 years.

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
My weekend was supposed to be spent pulling my intake and sealing a leak im suspicious of after i purchased a data logger from 1320Electronics, and ALDLDroid and saw my idling map pressure was 26-27 kPa.......

in reality it was spent pulling my 700r4 that had less than 5k miles on it for a mysterious whine coming from it. allegedly rebuilt, and it WAS built with 600hp parts, but as it turned out, the builder thought it to be ok to reuse the front planetary housing with a .036" deep groove in, a ****** scoured up fluid pump housing, and a chattery pump rotor.
It sent brass shavings thru the transmission, so i had to break it down, clean it all internally, replace bushings, and several other things. I had good serviceable parts on the shelf, so the total cost was my beer, my time, bushings, a front TC seal, and some various 700r4/4l60e hard parts i had chilling on my shelf.

Read about it here:

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/another-mysterious-30-year-old-truck-noise-thread-lol.32137/

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I feel your pain.I completely re-wired a 1980 Chevy truck.Even with the kit being GM specific,not Painless,it was still pretty tedious.Super nice after it’s done though.It’s something I’ll be doing in mine in the next few years.I like Dakota,but will probably go with auto meter’s version.It’s 500$ cheaper too.Not as nice though.
Yeah, wiring is my arch nemesis. Especially cuz it’s somewhat hard to track down good wiring diagrams for each year of these trucks. I finally found one on the forums that was the pin-out for the cluster plug. That was my saving grace.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
What harness did you go with?

I went with a PSI harness and stock computer setup. But by the time I bought a new trans computer and a few other things, I’m near Holley money. If I ever do this again, I’ll go with the Holley setup. Not that the PSI is bad, but the Holley is much more capable

radio2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
83 and 88
Truck Model
83 C10 and 88 R10 Burb
Engine Size
I went with a PSI harness and stock computer setup. But by the time I bought a new trans computer and a few other things, I’m near Holley money. If I ever do this again, I’ll go with the Holley setup. Not that the PSI is bad, but the Holley is much more capable

I've been planning on going PSI as well, but I'll look into the Holley now.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Livin' life, ya know.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Damn Vince... that’s the brain surgery of auto mechanics!
Can tell it’s the brains. See all the squiggly things there? Lol

I admire your knowledge and patience.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In the spirit of @QBuff02 and @Kim Burke, I’m neck deep in fixing peeling paint.
This would have been 1000% easier if GM could have made their damn paint stick to their cars 30 years ago! Lol
95% of the bulk stripping and sanding is done. Still gotta fix the windshield frame and lead in the holes from the visor, some detail sanding around windows etc, little bondo in the dings, paint the chassis and core support, remove 1 more door panel and back window, about 200’ of seam sealer.....
Yeah just about ready for paint....lol

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow, you're more game than me !

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just ordered new electric fuel pumps for the truck, current ones are not up to the job !
Stay tuned, will keep ya's posted.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Damn Vince... that’s the brain surgery of auto mechanics!
Can tell it’s the brains. See all the squiggly things there? Lol

I admire your knowledge and patience.

Thankfully im literally.... eh... done?

Doesnt look like it, but all the hard work is done now. I need **1** bushing for the front pump snout, or the stator i guess.

I didnt have it, my buddy doesnt, and im not dealing with the low lifes at the parts store ro find it

Going to the trans shop today to get that, and THEN, i can slide the pump in, put the aux valve body feed line, solenoid, slap a pan and THROW IT at the ******' truck.
This **** is getting old. Trans was supposed to be DONE and DONE. Oh well i guess. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave