What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Here’s a first for something I’ve done with my square...let my girl sit in the drivers seat and let her drive around the parking lot at our homies shop.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cab scraped down now too.
Could use some input now though.
Got some minor bondo work to do and 73 holes to weld up before primer, but thinking just scuff the tan primer that’s on it and build primer from there.
That stuff is adhered to to substrate very well. Can’t hardly chip or gouge it off the sheet metal.
Question is, block sand out the tan stuff then prime, leaving a fair amount of bare metal, (I have good dtm primer) or don’t fix what ain’t broke and leave the old primer on as the base coat?
I 100% believe the issue with paint peeling on these rigs is due to the top coat not bonding, not the primer. As the original black primer doesn’t peel either just the paint.

Note the pile of paint on the hood! Lol

Marv

Reaction score
First Name
Marv
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
383 Stroker
Today I got some caddy seats I'm gonna throw in after football. Got the dye ordered as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DebraM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Debra
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Replace a brake line yesterday on my GMC Sierra,Stepped on the brake pedal last night to move it and no brakes,The brake line going to the rear blew finding the leak real easy.Plus I wanted to take the previous person tools away whom replaced it,two compression fittings used.I fixed it right using a 50 foot roll of brake line with double flares done.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Replace a brake line yesterday on my GMC Sierra,Stepped on the brake pedal last night to move it and no brakes,The brake line going to the rear blew finding the leak real easy.Plus I wanted to take the previous person tools away whom replaced it,two compression fittings used.I fixed it right using a 50 foot roll of brake line with double flares done.

The first time I ever attempted to fix a brake line on my '95 Burb, I tried using compression fittings, and they didn't hold very long at all. I then did it semi properly by flaring them (WITH A BALL PEEN HAMMER AND VIDE GRIPS) and it actually worked.

Now I actually have the proper flaring tools, but I've not needed it lately since I've just been buying the pre-flared lines at the auto parts store and bending the excess out of the way.

Somehow the only vehicle I have not needed to even touch the lines on is my '74. All the original lines are still really nice somehow, yet the body is gone.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ive used many compression fittings and never had a problem.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
No, on brake lines. My old celebrity wagon had compression fittings on the brake line, never had an issue. My s10 had them when i bought it but the line blew after the fitting twords the rear so i ran all new nicop lines instead.
I can't like this.

I hope you mean on transmission cooler lines.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I recently pulled out my instrument panel to look at a light bulb issue. Decided to dismantle the whole thing and rebuild from the ground up. I epoxied all the broken pieces back on to the backing plate, removed all the electrical pins, and painted it white. I cleaned all the electrical connectors and twist plugs. Using a small tool I re-tensioned all the twist pins for better connections and installed new super bright led's. I installed a new circuit board. I have a new lens cover on the way. I painted the gauges cover a hammered black color. The hardest thing so far was disconnecting the oil line from the oil pressure gauge. What a pain. A couple of the gauge retaining screws didn't want to tighten up all the way so I ended up cutting about a 1/2" off a toothpick and put them in the holes for the screw to have something to hold onto.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No, on brake lines. My old celebrity wagon had compression fittings on the brake line, never had an issue. My s10 had them when i bought it but the line blew after the fitting twords the rear so i ran all new nicop lines instead.
I ran a copper compression fitting on my 75 chevy van and it worked okay Copper line pieces are never recommended either.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
This all falls under what the NTSB and the FAA, or any other organization that investigates accidents would call "normalization of risk."

Just because you get away with it doesn't mean it's safe or okay. Don't use compression fittings on brakes.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This all falls under what the NTSB and the FAA, or any other organization that investigates accidents would call "normalization of risk."

Just because you get away with it doesn't mean it's safe or okay. Don't use compression fittings on brakes.
Sometimes the folks gotta do what the folks gotta do.Regardless of government or otherwise.My ferrules were great and guaranteed.lol

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You would if you lived here. Those fittings will guarantee a failure on the inspection and you will get no sticker.
In my state the bootleg safety stickers were so prevalent that the gov. decided to screw us with emissions stickers instead.But where I live we don't need them anyway in my county.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly