What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ive never had a working E brake and honestly never cared if it did..

They are nice with a manual transmission. But a wheel chock with a rope tied to it works decently.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ive never had a working E brake and honestly never cared if it did..

They are nice with a manual transmission. But a wheel chock with a rope tied to it works decently.
One roll away vehicle changed my mind on E-brakes, and like I said that vehicle had an autotrans. Turns out a linkage bushing was worn out so it wasn't fully engaging in park. However after I wrote my initial comment I remember having a class c motorhome without a working E-brake and I did the block of wood thing, but it was just a pain in the ass to me, but that's me, we are all different.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
One roll away vehicle changed my mind on E-brakes, and like I said that vehicle had an autotrans. Turns out a linkage bushing was worn out so it wasn't fully engaging in park. However after I wrote my initial comment I remember having a class c motorhome without a working E-brake and I did the block of wood thing, but it was just a pain in the ass to me, but that's me, we are all different.

Somewhat related funny story... I was an M1 mechanic and recovery guy in 1st Cav at Ft. Hood in the early 2000's. We were out in the field in between deployments and we had a tank catch on fire. The crew popped the fire bottles and shut it down, no big deal. Turns out there was a manufacturing defect in a fuel system component and ALL M1's worldwide were marked non-op until they could be inspected. Well, we were in the field so all our tanks had to stop where they were and shut down until we could go pick them up and bring them in for inspection of the bad part. Rather than try to tow in 14 tanks, one at a time, from all over Ft. Hood, with our recovery vehicle we decided to send out the transportation guys with low-boy trailers to haul them in.

The first one came in and it couldn't be started to unload from the low boy. So we got our recovery vehicle behind it and pulled it off the trailer. To stop it after it unloaded, we had a tanker in the drivers seat and he was just going to hit the parking brake when it had rolled all the way off the trailer. This was sketchy to everyone, but we couldn't think of a better way, so we got the recovery vehicle about 150 ft away and used the main winch to do the pulling.

Well.. we start pulling and the tank rolls off the trailer, at the top of a hill. Everyone yells for the guy to hit the brakes and his eyes get big and it just starts picking up speed down the hill. Everyone starts running after it screaming for him to hit the brakes... it just barrels down the hill and right into a bunch of mesquite and trees. The poor PFC's platoon sergeant and everyone else in his chain of command just starts laying into this kid while we try to figure out what the heck happened. He keeps repeating that he DID hit the brakes and it just kept going.

Turns out they had pulled the final drives to load it onto the trailer and then replaced the caps so we couldn't see they had been pulled. The parking brakes for an M1 are INSIDE the transmission, so with the final drives pulled, there is no brakes... period. Thankfully no-one was behind it.. there is nothing like 71 tons of freedom barreling down a hill backwards to make you appreciate brakes.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Finished up drivers side patch work last night. Now need to do a small sized hole patch on the driver side passenger door rocker. Need to finish up seams now. Then will use rust converter, and throw in some good paint.

I did start a thread in the "Under Construction" section too where there are a lot more pictures if your interested. Trust me, I will need some help & advice!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
turning off the truck in gear is fine with me.

it's when i want to keep the truck running and open my gate.
my driveway is an incline so the truck rolls away faster than i can catch it.

:)

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Holy crap....what is that engine!!!!!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Gen II 5.7L .030 over.....Edelbrock E-tec heads and cam.....got an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 FI to sit right in the middle (they talked me into the heads because they're CNC port matched to the FI). The heads are huge - have to use their head bolts...must be about 1/2 - 3/4" thicker than stock. Got a pair of long tube stainless headers too. Guy at Edelbrock has 3 speed shops in SoCal - said he's built this setup so many times he could tell me HP and torque numbers it will run. More than double the old and tired stock setup. Pretty psych'd. :hat:

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Gen II 5.7L .030 over.....Edelbrock E-tec heads and cam.....got an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 FI to sit right in the middle (they talked me into the heads because they're CNC port matched to the FI). The heads are huge - have to use their head bolts...must be about 1/2 - 3/4" thicker than stock. Got a pair of long tube stainless headers too. Guy at Edelbrock has 3 speed shops in SoCal - said he's built this setup so many times he could tell me HP and torque numbers it will run. More than double the old and tired stock setup. Pretty psych'd. :hat:
That looks like fun! Now to not pick. I'm pretty sure that the Gen II sbc was the LT1 and LT4 used in cars in the middle 90's as a precursor to the LS series which is considered Gen III

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35