What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well this morning i put in the E3's but not without a fight, between dropping the socket, one plug not wanting to screw in to arguing with the headers i got them in. But i see a few concerning things... all the driver side plugs had this crud build up to some degree, anyone know what causes it? Also i noticed it looks like the paint on the intake between the 3 and 5 cylinder appears to be burned off making me wonder what that would indicate? Anybody have ideas? But all in all the runs super smooth now and im happy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The burned spot is the exhaust crossover. Naturally, it gets hot.

The plug,... I don't know, but are you losing any antifreeze?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
The burned spot is the exhaust crossover. Naturally, it gets hot.

The plug,... I don't know, but are you losing any antifreeze?
Yes but its been leaking from the radiator. I was wondering about antifreeze because of the crust color

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yes but its been leaking from the radiator. I was wondering about antifreeze because of the crust color

I think you can get a test kit to check for exhasut in the coolant. If it's going one way, it's probably going the other. But gasoline engines are not my forte, so maybe someone else will jump in.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Well this morning i put in the E3's but not without a fight, between dropping the socket, one plug not wanting to screw in to arguing with the headers i got them in. But i see a few concerning things... all the driver side plugs had this crud build up to some degree, anyone know what causes it? Also i noticed it looks like the paint on the intake between the 3 and 5 cylinder appears to be burned off making me wonder what that would indicate? Anybody have ideas? But all in all the runs super smooth now and im happy.

Do you run any fuel additives? I've heard that some can lead to crusty stuff on the plugs

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Do you run any fuel additives? I've heard that some can lead to crusty stuff on the plugs

I do but not often. If i do its the orange bottle of stp

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

But why just one bank? And I admit a head or head gasket unlikely to affect an entire side.

Kyle Childress

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size

Yeah this is something other than fuel, rich the plug would be black and nasty with oily fuel build up, Lean it would be chalky and light tan to white and if had been lean for a long time it would have already caused major problems. That's something else entirely, it almost looks like antifreeze stop leak.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Yeah this is something other than fuel, rich the plug would be black and nasty with oily fuel build up, Lean it would be chalky and light tan to white and if had been lean for a long time it would have already caused major problems. That's something else entirely, it almost looks like antifreeze stop leak.
Ive personally have never put stop leak in it. I wouldnt

cooperhw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
1978, 1981, 1983
Truck Model
C-10, K-20, C-20
Engine Size
5.7L
Drove it for the first time ever this last week. to the gas station then to a c10 truck club meeting

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

I'd almost pull the e3's and stick some crap plugs in there and flush everything. Seafoam the **** outta it. Oil and fuel side (vacuum and as fuel additive). That almost looks acidic. Correct me if I'm wrong on the acidic part guys.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd almost pull the e3's and stick some crap plugs in there and flush everything. Seafoam the **** outta it. Oil and fuel side (vacuum and as fuel additive). That almost looks acidic. Correct me if I'm wrong on the acidic part guys.

Hard for me to say, other than deposits of some kind. Could be coolant getting burnt, or it could be something rather insignificant. If it continues to happen though, those E3 plugs are going to retain the buildup much easier than a standard plug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL