What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It's nothing special from what I've figured out so far. It's a truck motor, 2 bolt main, peanut port heads. It has been enlarged to a 468 and has a slightly bigger cam from what I've been told. It came from a friend's dad's truck so I know it is a pretty solid runner with less than 5000 miles since it was rebuilt. It came with a Demon carb but not sure what size it is. Overall I'm pretty excited to hear this thing run.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well it should be torquey. I'm a big block fan I kinda hoard them. The LS is a nice small package but you can't beat the sound of a BBC. I have a roller crammed 407 sitting in my frame now it sat on my run stand for over a year getting fired up once in a while I'm ready to hear it again but got lots to do before that happens.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
cleaned up the harness more for the LS swap. Today I soldered in the 3 pin connector for the Camaro temp sending unit. 3rd wire goes to the gauge.

Also went ahead and ordered the adapter to screw in an old school oil pressure sender in the back of the engine. I figured one day I will do that radiator upgrade that has coolant/trans/oil cooling all in one. I could have drilled out the adapter plate by the filter, but thought put it where it belongs to save a bit of expense/work later on. Sucks the damn thing was $17 though lol.

I'll stop by a JY to pick up 98 windstar fan harness for $25. Maybe I'll get lucky and get the fuse block n all. That's what I'll be using to cool the LS.

Opinion question here, you think 2" exhaust on a stock 2006 truck LS will be fine? The calculator I found online says yes, but doing the math others show I need 2.5"....which is what was on the original vehicle. Part that sucks, is I didn't budget for any exhaust upgrades for the swap.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'd say 2.5" LS' like to be spun your rpm curve will thank you for it. GM put 2.5 " on it for a reason it isn't like they had **** laying around. Lol

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Installed the ebay trans cooler that @Rusty Nail linked to a while back. First thing I had to do was make some brackets and mount them on the core support. Was wishing I had one of those cool dimple die stamps while making these, would have been a nice touch.

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't trust having just hose clamps holding the rubber hose onto the hard line so after removing a small section I installed some 5/16" compression to 3/8" barbs. If I did my research right, the top line on the radiator is the return. I connected it to the bottom fitting on the cooler so any air is purged out the top and back to the trans.

Had to move the previously installed power steering cooler down to the bottom to get enough room for the trans cooler. It takes up a lot of space. Factory engine oil cooler sits by itself on the driver's side.

Started it up, checked for leaks, and everything was good after adding some atf.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Installed the ebay trans cooler that @Rusty Nail linked to a while back. First thing I had to do was make some brackets and mount them on the core support. Was wishing I had one of those cool dimple die stamps while making these, would have been a nice touch.

I don't trust having just hose clamps holding the rubber hose onto the hard line so after removing a small section I installed some 5/16" compression to 3/8" barbs. If I did my research right, the top line on the radiator is the return. I connected it to the bottom fitting on the cooler so any air is purged out the top and back to the trans.

Had to move the previously installed power steering cooler down to the bottom to get enough room for the trans cooler. It takes up a lot of space. Factory engine oil cooler sits by itself on the driver's side.

Started it up, checked for leaks, and everything was good after adding some atf.

:wave: skysurfer !!! You made all that look like it goes there from the factory. So did you have to draw up a set of blue prints to get all those coolers in there? :shrug: Where's the brake fluid cooler going to go?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Dammit, I knew I was forgetting something.
Hmm... lots of space up there on the roof rack. :hmm:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dammit, I knew I was forgetting something.
Hmm... lots of space up there on the roof rack. :hmm:

Now you're thinkin' !!! May as well add an auxiliary radiator too with an electric cooling fan up there. :grd:

I do see a little space above the oil cooler. You might be able to sneak it in there. :shrug:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I do see a little space above the oil cooler. You might be able to sneak it in there.

Nah, saving that space for the turn signal blinker cooler.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
@skysurfer; wouldn't you want the lowest line on the cooler to be the return? If you happened to get a leak in the cooler, you wouldn't be pulling air through the lines to the trans.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
@skysurfer; wouldn't you want the lowest line on the cooler to be the return? If you happened to get a leak in the cooler, you wouldn't be pulling air through the lines to the trans.

I don't know if there's a right or wrong way to route the cooler lines. Getting a leak is a long shot at best, but if there was one I'm not sure if air getting to the transmission would be that big of a deal. Isn't there some air above the fluid inside the trans anyway? As long as there isn't a major loss of fluid the trans will continue to work. I thought I should go with what is the most likely scenario, and that's air trapped in the cooler. Forcing the fluid up gets rid of the air and I'm thinking it might cool better if the fluid is pushed rather than having gravity speed it down from the top. Since the primary cooler pushes from the bottom I figured some engineer designed it that way for a reason so I went with that. I dunno, I'm not a transmission guy so I took an uneducated guess at what seemed right.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I don't know if there's a right or wrong way to route the cooler lines. Getting a leak is a long shot at best, but if there was one I'm not sure if air getting to the transmission would be that big of a deal. Isn't there some air above the fluid inside the trans anyway? As long as there isn't a major loss of fluid the trans will continue to work. I thought I should go with what is the most likely scenario, and that's air trapped in the cooler. Forcing the fluid up gets rid of the air and I'm thinking it might cool better if the fluid is pushed rather than having gravity speed it down from the top. Since the primary cooler pushes from the bottom I figured some engineer designed it that way for a reason so I went with that. I dunno, I'm not a transmission guy so I took an uneducated guess at what seemed right.
Alright no worries. Was just curious about it. Never even thought about the routing of the original setup either.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Top line on the tranny goes to the top of the radiator, the return is the bottom line.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
That's almost right. The flow direction at the case of a th400 is out the bottom and in the top. The top line is the return so the aux cooler should be plumbed so the flow is out the bottom of the tranny to the bottom of the radiator, out the top of the radiator to the bottom of the cooler, out the top of the cooler back to the top side of the tranny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg