What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Finally got to do most of the clean up of the truck today, after manure hauling last weekend.
Below Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

Still need to do the interior, and under hood. If not tomorrow then on the weekend.

Also need to replace the starter this weekend, and whenever we get a dry spell I need to fix the tears in the bedliner..... Again!
Good looking truck, sir.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Good looking truck, sir.
Thank you very much. PO was a friend of mine, he bought it in the mid-90's. He installed a dump kit on the factory box, which I very much enjoy using. I got the truck 5ish years ago after he passed. So it's unrestored, but been owned by two guys that use it for a truck, but own have also taken care of it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
playing with the AStro 1142 rivnut installer on old rusted fenders. I figured out real quick you can over tighten it. Broke the 10-24 mandrel :(

As for assisting water sealing rivnuts, should I put silicon or an o-ring before installing? This is on the top of the cab for the visor.
I cheaped out and cheated and just used larger diameter screws to reinstall the visor. Still sorta wish I’d done riv nuts. (Still can I suppose)
If I did, I was planning on using a small amount of seam sealer or something like 3M 4200under the flange. Any urethane sealer/adhesive is better than silicone imo. The threads I’d seal with something non adhesive like silicone or rtv sealant.

Since I cheated, I “glued” a neoprene or rubber washer to the roof with rtv over each hole with another layer on top of the washer and some on the threads. And another rubber washer on top of the visor under a stainless flat washer.
Think I would have done that part similarly whether riv nut or not.
The sandwich from bottom to top was:
Roof skin
Rtv
Rubber washer
Rtv
Visor
Rtv
Rubber washer
Rtv
Stainless washer
Screw

Maybe overkill maybe stupid, idk.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I cheaped out and cheated and just used larger diameter screws to reinstall the visor. Still sorta wish I’d done riv nuts. (Still can I suppose)
If I did, I was planning on using a small amount of seam sealer or something like 3M 4200under the flange. Any urethane sealer/adhesive is better than silicone imo. The threads I’d seal with something non adhesive like silicone or rtv sealant.

Since I cheated, I “glued” a neoprene or rubber washer to the roof with rtv over each hole with another layer on top of the washer and some on the threads. And another rubber washer on top of the visor under a stainless flat washer.
Think I would have done that part similarly whether riv nut or not.
The sandwich from bottom to top was:
Roof skin
Rtv
Rubber washer
Rtv
Visor
Rtv
Rubber washer
Rtv
Stainless washer
Screw

Maybe overkill maybe stupid, idk.
It's a visor anything will hold it up there practically. As long as it DON'T rattle. I can't stand rattles!!!!!! For that reason alone the RTV sounds like a good idea.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I've got visor issues on yellow. I like the rtv idea.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
New power steering hoses. Had to have high pressure hose custom made because parts houses didn't have a clue for the 6 cylinder

Attachments

• Power steering hoses.jpeg
    Power steering hoses.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 38

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's a visor anything will hold it up there practically. As long as it DON'T rattle. I can't stand rattles!!!!!! For that reason alone the RTV sounds like a good idea.
Except that it is subject to pretty big forces from the air/wind at highway speeds I feel. My shakedown test was 90mph down Hwy 18 for a few miles so I think she’s good, however riv nuts are far and away the more secure, professional option.
I decided to just not fck with the existing holes and jam a larger diameter screw in them. Even then a few of them stripped out and I had to redneck heli-coil them with some copper wire cutoffs…
But imo it was all or nothing. Chose to not spend the time to enlarge the holes and install riv nuts and didn’t want to fill the holes and re-drill because that is a recipe for frustration trying to drill through weld globs and sheetmetal potentialy at the same time.

chevyguy333

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
A pair of these 73-80 bumper guards came in today...turns out green jewelers rouge cleans up the hazed our chrome and gives it a nice polish too. Here’s a before + after

Where did you get those?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Grit dog I didn't even think of that, but you have to keep in mind I removed my visors to install a home made shelf similar to the commercially produced "shelf it". I'm a Washingtonian so I've no idea what the sun is lol.
Sorry I was talking about the aftermarket visor on the roof, not sun visors.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Got to do the interior this morning. Feels good to get her all cleaned up again. Even took the drink holder out and sent it though the dishwasher. I'd like to replace the carpet one of these days, but it just hasn't happened yet.

Next project sitting on the seat. This will be my first Duralast starter. Nobody else seems to be selling new starters for these truck anymore except Autozone under the duralast brand. Everyone else is selling reman'd. From what I can tell it looks like this is either going to be manufactured by Valeo or Bosch. So I'll get that in either this afternoon or tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230408_104740.jpg
    20230408_104740.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 36

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Sorry I was talking about the aftermarket visor on the roof, not sun visors.
Oh, see that's what happens when I stick my nose in an already going conversation lol. That makes a lot more sense. By the way I really like that look. Those aftermarket roof visors look awesome!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
RTV sealant is a very good vibration dampener.
Old snowmobiler trick, the springs that are used to clamp the exhaust parts together tend to break due to vibration and/or wear out the metal loops welded to the exhaust.
A nice toothpaste sized blob of rtv across the spring coils after they’re stretched (pieces attached together) virtually eliminates both issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB