What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Chuck n #16419 Grit dog #16423 I've seen more than 1 car burn from fuel lines like that. Just trying to help. At the very least run as much hard line as possible with very short rubber lines as connectors. Like the plastic tube rubber connector vacuum hose arrangements.And I'd run a metal fuel filter,down low, so A leak would be under the truck instead of spilling fuel on the motor.
That’s why I hard mounted a 5lb fire extinguisher in the bed!
No, I understand your warning 100% and agree with you. It’s one of the few things that got hack jobbed when whomever put the big block in it.
Coincidentally I just learned approximately when that engine went in it and it’s been like that for around 15 years now!
Regardless, it’s also on the list to redo with a safer fuel line setup.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I used it to drag my little trailer to pick up a few boards for my Dad. Pop doesn't say much about the Old Truck but he gets in it every time and rides along. I am not sure he understands how much attention it gets. At the lumber yard folks kept coming over to ask about it. I almost ran over one guy who was looking underneath it...

For you folks that live where there are plenty of these trucks, my '87 is a Big Deal down here in Swampy Flatlandistan.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I installed the nifty headlight relay yesterday. Have had it for a while but no convenient or clean way to hook it up until I took care of the battery connections and accessory power situation I posted a couple days ago.
Well I can say definitively that the $29.99 Scamazon special harness may be a complete pile of junk.
After gettin it wired up before I buttoned everything up and reinstalled the grille and headlight trim, I gave the ole headlights a test.
They worked. They ALL worked at the same time! Whether on low or high beam. Made no difference….
After a little diagnosing I discovers that the trigger plug that plugs into an existing low beam plug literally had 0 of the 3 pins in the correct location. The little kid in Malaysia who got paid a 1/4 cup of rice for assembling it and putting the “checked over” sticker on the wire bundle couldn’t have got it more wrong if he tried….
A quick re-pin of the plug and the system worked as designed. (at least they kept the wire colors consistent in the harness or it would have been more difficult to diagnose, lol)
However now there’s a little stray voltage going to the high beam when just the low beams are on….looks kinda cool like a weird second set of parking lights in the dark but it is certainly not right.
Considering this condition was/is not present with the existing OE wiring my superior detective skills can definitively pin point it to another issue with the cheap defective relay harness.
Oh well, get what you pay for…. I guess when I recalled thinking “I couldn’t even buy the relays plugs and wire to do this for the purchase $ of the harness” there was a good reason that was the case.
3rd world manufacturing 1. Grit dog 0.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry, Todd for the "like", but the way you wrote it, it's kinda funny
All good. It was meant to be funny. I got all done and thought “well, that $30 and 2 hours of my life would have reaped far more rewards at the local bar than trying to upgrade my truck!”

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
That’s why I hard mounted a 5lb fire extinguisher in the bed!
No, I understand your warning 100% and agree with you. It’s one of the few things that got hack jobbed when whomever put the big block in it.
Coincidentally I just learned approximately when that engine went in it and it’s been like that for around 15 years now!
Regardless, it’s also on the list to redo with a safer fuel line setup.
15 years, I'd at least be changing the fuel lines out for new ones. Almost the exact situation as my 66 chevelle, P.O. did an edelbrock with a performer manifold,using a rubber line and fuel filter up top. Hey if it ain't broke ,don't fix it. So it stayed that way until it got a pin hole in the rubber line and caught fire. If I had regularly inspected and changed out the line it probably wouldn't have been a problem,I just didn't think to do it.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
15 years I'd at least be changing the fuel lines out for new ones. Almost the exact situation as my 66 chevelle P.O. did an edelbrock wuth a performer manifold,using a rubber line and fuel filter up top. Hey if it ain't broke ,don't fix it. So it stayed that way until it got a pin hole in the rubber line and caught fire. If I had regularly inspected and changed out the line it probably wouldn't have been a problem,I just didn't think to.
For sure. The line in the pic is in good shape though, it’s newer and from the OE fuel pump location back, it’s all metal to the electric pump.
I need to get a piece of tubing and a couple flare nuts and a junction block and make a nice piece to eliminate the shade tree solution.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yep. I learned the hard way. Remember when I said expierience comes right after we needed it,that was one of them situations.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep. I learned the hard way. Remember when I said expierience comes right after we needed it,that was one of them situations.
Lol! Sure does!
And I was serious about the fire extinguisher thing!
Told the kid, this thing doesn’t have full coverage yet. If you see smoke under the hood, here’s the order in which you spend the next 30 seconds of your life.
1. Pop the hood release.
2. Get extinguisher from the truck bed. (I Put it in back in case it’s something electrical inside the cab that catches fire.)
3. Run around front and pull the pin.
4. Duck behind the grille while you pop the hood up.
5. Stand up and start spraying!

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
remember when I said I put the dynamat in, and fixed the whistling window, and rattling brake release? Now with the truck so quiet, I think I hear transmission noise.. Is it my imagination? I think I'll change tranny fluid with Red Line MTL.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
remember when I said I put the dynamat in, and fixed the whistling window, and rattling brake release? Now with the truck so quiet, I think I hear transmission noise.. Is it my imagination? I think I'll change tranny fluid with Red Line MTL.
Snowball effect...

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
So I installed the nifty headlight relay yesterday. Have had it for a while but no convenient or clean way to hook it up until I took care of the battery connections and accessory power situation I posted a couple days ago.
Well I can say definitively that the $29.99 Scamazon special harness may be a complete pile of junk.
After gettin it wired up before I buttoned everything up and reinstalled the grille and headlight trim, I gave the ole headlights a test.
They worked. They ALL worked at the same time! Whether on low or high beam. Made no difference….
After a little diagnosing I discovers that the trigger plug that plugs into an existing low beam plug literally had 0 of the 3 pins in the correct location. The little kid in Malaysia who got paid a 1/4 cup of rice for assembling it and putting the “checked over” sticker on the wire bundle couldn’t have got it more wrong if he tried….
A quick re-pin of the plug and the system worked as designed. (at least they kept the wire colors consistent in the harness or it would have been more difficult to diagnose, lol)
However now there’s a little stray voltage going to the high beam when just the low beams are on….looks kinda cool like a weird second set of parking lights in the dark but it is certainly not right.
Considering this condition was/is not present with the existing OE wiring my superior detective skills can definitively pin point it to another issue with the cheap defective relay harness.
Oh well, get what you pay for…. I guess when I recalled thinking “I couldn’t even buy the relays plugs and wire to do this for the purchase $ of the harness” there was a good reason that was the case.
3rd world manufacturing 1. Grit dog 0.
I have about 50 relay and plug kits, along with a bunch of cross link wire of various colors and gauges.
Like these...

You must be registered for see images attach

I can build an entire harness if I need to...

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Chuck n #16419 Grit dog #16423 I've seen more than 1 car burn from fuel lines like that. Just trying to help. At the very least run as much hard line as possible with very short rubber lines as connectors. Like the plastic tube rubber connector vacuum hose arrangements.And I'd run a metal fuel filter,down low, so A leak would be under the truck instead of spilling fuel on the motor.
Yer not wrong about that! I’m actually starting to look for a correct hard line for it, but not sure where to start- catalogs are full of them and my experience with a prior project was that it was hard to find the one with the right bends (even though it claimed to be correct for the application). If you have a link for one for a standard pump to an Edelbrock 1406, feel free to share. Thanks in advance!

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Lol! Sure does!
And I was serious about the fire extinguisher thing!
Told the kid, this thing doesn’t have full coverage yet. If you see smoke under the hood, here’s the order in which you spend the next 30 seconds of your life.
1. Pop the hood release.
2. Get extinguisher from the truck bed. (I Put it in back in case it’s something electrical inside the cab that catches fire.)
3. Run around front and pull the pin.
4. Duck behind the grille while you pop the hood up.
5. Stand up and start spraying!
I almost had that experience last night in the garage. I heard a random ZAP and saw some sparklers from behind the alternator. Mind you, I’m a trail runner but I don’t think I’ve ran as fast as I did to get a wrench and take off the battery cables. The red wire had come out of the alternator clip and was trying to ground out. That’s taken care of now.

Hey, what was that you guys were saying about replacing that fuel line that’s less than stellar? THAT GOES RIGHT BY THE ALTERNATOR WIRING?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54