What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well I didn't have much time to work on it today...That damn work thing. I did get the back window down, and Cleaned out the back. I don't know what in the Hill have eyes $hit this was for, but it was all dried out, and all over the freaking place. Lucky no dead bodies of any kind...LOL

Let me through this out to the site...Keep the spare tire rack? Or pull it and sell it? I'm pretty sure it's all there...maybe missing a piece or two.
My 2 cents... Get rid of it. Not sure what size tire you are going to run or how valuable inside storage space is to you but I always liked the factory spare carriers that were in the cargo space.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've been searching for the last hour and can't find it. Didn't someone in here (or one of the other threads) post a picture of their tailgate trim and it was an aluminum piece with clips? Rather than the vinyl/soft stuff? Was that you @Grit dog ??
The long piece across the tailgate was never hard mounted on the 81+ trucks. The 2 rear corners are/were though. But the kits are cut long enough to wrap all the way around. I chose to do that at leave the OE tin corners off. That trim doesn’t really like bending that tight and the “chrome” wrinkled a little at the 90deg bend. But good for now.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The long piece across the tailgate was never hard mounted on the 81+ trucks. The 2 rear corners are/were though. But the kits are cut long enough to wrap all the way around. I chose to do that at leave the OE tin corners off. That trim doesn’t really like bending that tight and the “chrome” wrinkled a little at the 90deg bend. But good for now.
That's what I thought too but I SWEAR somebody posted a picture of a hard, aluminum piece with clips recently. And it wasn't '73-80 cuz it was right at the bottom of the gate. This is really gonna bother me now lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's what I thought too but I SWEAR somebody posted a picture of a hard, aluminum piece with clips recently. And it wasn't '73-80 cuz it was right at the bottom of the gate. This is really gonna bother me now lol
Ha, idk. Only thing I can think of like that is the back of cab trim. It's always been and still is clipped.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Ha, idk. Only thing I can think of like that is the back of cab trim. It's always been and still is clipped.
Nope, was definitely a bed piece haha. I was telling one of our R&D guys about it this morning, idk why I didn't save the picture or bookmark it. Dang it

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Nope, was definitely a bed piece haha. I was telling one of our R&D guys about it this morning, idk why I didn't save the picture or bookmark it. Dang it

You must be registered for see images attach
On my ‘86 the factory corner and tailgate trim is aluminum, the vinyl is going down the side of the truck.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
On my ‘86 the factory corner and tailgate trim is aluminum, the vinyl is going down the side of the truck.
Yeah! That's what I was talking about. That's not the picture I saw (this one was off the truck and you could see the mounting tabs) but that's exactly what I mean. I've never seen one in person and didn't know that was a thing until I saw that. We're developing our own kit and even he (he's been in the classic truck biz for 25+ years) didn't know about it either. I wonder if that was only certain trucks/plants or what? My truck just has the vinyl but they put all new trim on it when they cut the bed down.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You're exactly right, I have no doubt it's something minor. I knew I shouldn't have tried to do this last minute before heading out of town for a show, but it's so hot I wanted to try lol. I'll suffer this weekend and then probably take it to someone who knows more than I do about them.
I like SIMS Radiator in Lawrenceville. Been using those guys for over 20 years. Never a problem. I do buy them all a sausage biscuit from the Red Barn across the street tho before the work starts.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Yeah! That's what I was talking about. That's not the picture I saw (this one was off the truck and you could see the mounting tabs) but that's exactly what I mean. I've never seen one in person and didn't know that was a thing until I saw that. We're developing our own kit and even he (he's been in the classic truck biz for 25+ years) didn't know about it either. I wonder if that was only certain trucks/plants or what? My truck just has the vinyl but they put all new trim on it when they cut the bed down.
That pic. is my truck, I would take it off and get a pic. of the clips and tabs for you but I am afraid I would bust the clips holding it on. But I have seen several with the aluminum piece on the tailgate. The only problem is they get milky looking with age and most people just use the vinyl as a replacement. It was built in Canada if that helps.

But if AMD wanted to pony up a little and need to borrow it for some research, we might can work something out. lol

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
That pic. is my truck, I would take it off and get a pic. of the clips and tabs for you but I am afraid I would bust the clips holding it on. But I have seen several with the aluminum piece on the tailgate. The only problem is they get milky looking with age and most people just use the vinyl as a replacement. It was built in Canada if that helps.

But if AMD wanted to pony up a little and need to borrow it for some research, we might can work something out. lol
Haha oh no, I wouldn't ask ya to do that! We just now found out about it, so I highly doubt they'd wanna tool that piece up. I've already asked around to several friends of mine and none of them knew about it. But if they do want to pony up, I'll definitely let ya know!

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Haha oh no, I wouldn't ask ya to do that! We just now found out about it, so I highly doubt they'd wanna tool that piece up. I've already asked around to several friends of mine and none of them knew about it. But if they do want to pony up, I'll definitely let ya know!
Just backing up @Lugnut , my 1987 also has the aluminum corner piece with the vinyl everywhere else. Mine has clearly seen better days but here is a pic:

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Just backing up @Lugnut , my 1987 also has the aluminum corner piece with the vinyl everywhere else. Mine has clearly seen better days but here is a pic:

Those aluminum corners are easily restored, here’s a restored set of original ‘84 trim

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I believe it was @Craig 85 that posted those pictures.

I had no idea that some of the trucks got aluminum trim on the tailgate until I saw it here. I'd really like to know why some were aluminum and some were adhesive-backed vinyl.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well, 3rd lighter play netted this.

I pushed it back together and it held for one more.

Got home and Gorilla super glued it - we will see if it holds. Plastic knob press fitted - kinda sorta - on a plastic stem.

:emotions34:

Attachments

• 20220714_064933.jpg
    20220714_064933.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 42

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
86 here with stick on from the factory. No holes or repairs in the tailgate.
(Except the 15 other holes I repaired…. None under the belt line trim though)
Very interesting.
I’m certain my dads 83 was stick on from the factory too. It fell off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes