Well crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
OUCH!

I tack welded my pickup tube to the pump, screen to the pickup tube and safety wired the screws on the pump plate. Overkill?

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
OUCH!

I tack welded my pickup tube to the pump, screen to the pickup tube and safety wired the screws on the pump plate. Overkill?

I was going to suggest the same thing.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
They're not cheap, but I really like the Melling Select pumps. I have used the #10552 small block pump a couple of times with the #12558 3/4" diameter bolt-on pickup, which you can adjust for pan clearance.

Description: Melling's years of experience are apparent in these Performance oil pumps. They boast a CNC-machined body and cover, and hardened steel gears that are up to 25 percent longer, providing additional flow to performance engines with wider bearing clearances. Their drive and idler shafts have been extended into the cover to provide additional support, to eliminate dynamic shaft deflection.

Pump: https://motorsportsunlimited.com/me...-over-stock-volume-3-4-pick-up-tube-diameter/

Pickup: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-12558

Seems like I paid about half the current prices around 15 years ago. Talk about inflation. Wish my income had doubled since then!

cland13

Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350 w/ corvette 113 aluminum heads
I had that very same thing happen to me when I bought a truck I needed for work.
I dropped the pan and lowered the crankshaft and rods, cleaned both and sprayed brake cleaner through the crank passages. I installed all new bearing with assembly grease, and torqued crank and then rods. I replaced the oil pump, with the pickup welded to the pump. Cleaned the pan, new one piece gasket, new oil and filter and drove it another 75k miles.

IceBurb

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
7.4L
That stinks for sure!

I went through the same thing with an AMC 360 once. Looked over a short block I picked up cheap and remembered it being mint. Couple years later I was in a bind and needed to pull it out and build it over a weekend to swap into my Javelin and drive to work on Monday. All was good until it started knocking about 200 miles later. I thought I had pulled a couple caps, but I guess I didn’t. Crank bearings were hammered.

IceBurb

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
7.4L
I had that very same thing happen to me when I bought a truck I needed for work.
I dropped the pan and lowered the crankshaft and rods, cleaned both and sprayed brake cleaner through the crank passages. I installed all new bearing with assembly grease, and torqued crank and then rods. I replaced the oil pump, with the pickup welded to the pump. Cleaned the pan, new one piece gasket, new oil and filter and drove it another 75k miles.

I didn’t have a truck for a couple of years and was just building hotrods. I had a time or two I really needed to take a look at a crank and remember wishing it was a truck so I could actually drop the pan without pulling the entire engine or suspending it and dropping the suspension and crossmember.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76