Water-logged 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, here it is. Has some nasty creamy lookin oil coming out the dipstick hole. Turns over fine though. I made him give me the a/c compressor, dist., exhaust manifolds, and the fan too. Lol.

I peeked in the exhaust ports and it looks a little rusty in there. Can't wait to get it apart and see if anything's actually any good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit reason: moved photos in Photobucket

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool. Sounds like blown head gaskets at the minimum. Hopefully not cracked heads, but if so, still got a deal. But knowing that, when and if you do the serpentine conversion, I think I'd just use the water pump as a core. Creamy junk, usually a sign of an overheat.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Score!!

The creamy nasty oil could just be from toasted intake gaskets.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Score!!

The creamy nasty oil could just be from toasted intake gaskets.

Yep, it sure could be, I'm trying to think of worse case scenario's. Hopefully that's all it is, if so, he got a steal. Hope so. Where do you get a set of Vortec head cores for $75, or a Serpentine Set up, or a Roller Motor, and how about if he got all 3? That would be pure awesomness.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got the motor unloaded into my ghetto shop and on the engine stand.

Pretty nasty in there. :doublepuke: Only had time to take one head off and a quick once over didn't reveal any cracks in it. Fingers crossed!

Oh and I learned something new today. I never realized that Vortec blocks weren't drilled for a mechanical fuel pump. Pretty interesting.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Id take the caps off and spray everything down and clean it real good and use engine assembly lube on everything again. Maybe even since your tearin it down just put all new bearings in it. Cheap, easy to do.....

I found a set of Vortecs for $550 they got big valves, guide plates, screw in studs, big springs, and the guides have been milled for a bigger cam. STEAL!!!!!!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Keep in mind, cracks can be anywhere and very small, and not even noticeable by eye. Sometimes they don't show theirself till heated up too. Best just to have them hot tanked and magnafluxed. Magnaflux will make 98% of cracks very profound and visible to the human eye and most will look them over with a black light too.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Keep in mind, cracks can be anywhere and very small, and not even noticeable by eye. Sometimes they don't show theirself till heated up too. Best just to have them hot tanked and magnafluxed. Magnaflux will make 98% of cracks very profound and visible to the human eye and most will look them over with a black light too.

Yup, gonna get the other one off and take em to the machine shop to be checked out.

Oh, and they're 062's.

And the other set of heads are casting #14079261. I couldn't find any info on them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Awesome. I'd be tickled shitless for you if all this turns out to be good. You know if it does, you may as well just build that motor. It will cost you a bit more to build, but you know roller motors put more horsepower to the ground. They have alot less friction absorbed when parts are on roller. This is why motors last longer today, why they are more efficent, why tolerances are tighter etc. Granted there is other technology that goes along with all that, but for an old school motor, you don't get better than roller motor and vortec breathing heads as far as an OEM set up. Go Carbed Vortec OEM, you'll be spankin all the guys that buy that GM crate motor. It's probably cost you about the same too as a buying a crate motor. And you got a price on your core, so other than your own labor, you're way ahead of the game. Or , just do the heads for now and piece that other motor together. As time and funds permit, build this Vortec shortblock, when done, you'd have your low mileage Vortec heads to throw on your Vortec short block and you'll be rockin.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And WTH, if those cylinders spec out, just rering the Vortec motor instead and rock it. No rust in it yet right? Just the mikly **** huh?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It has a little rust in it. Looks like it would clean right up with a hone. You can kinda see it in #7 in the pic.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Took the Vortec heads to the machine shop today and told them to magnaflux them and resurface them if they turned out to be good.

Annnnnd......

They were BOTH good!!

:big_banana_Dance::big_banana_Dance:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm pretty happy about it! I thought for sure at least one of them would be cracked.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's cool ****. And the odds of the block being cracked sicne both heads are good, is slim to none. Heads and head gaskets are the weak link in heat. So if the heads did good, I'd say the block did too. This is was probably nothing more than bad intake gaskets. And the owner was smart enough to just handle it before just trashing it. Cool !!! You got a steal 3x. Good Heads, Good Block, and Serpentine system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt