Water-logged 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I finally got a cool day to tear apart my 350 that the PO left sitting out in the rain. NOT pretty. :eek: :whymewhyme:

What do you all think of this rocker arm? Suppose it was too loose? I've never seen one do this...

You must be registered for see images attach

This looks REALLY bad, but I started cleaning a couple of the cylinders out and it doesn't look like it pitted the walls any. Guess I'll see what it looks like after I get the pistons out...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you find why that rocker was offset? Bent pushrod?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I don't feel so bad anymore, lol.... :popcorn:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
May have been hydrolocked instead of "left out in the rain", you may want to measure valve lift, especially the one where the rocker arm was sitting off the stem.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I couldn't figure out why it was offset. Pushrod looked straight. What should I be measuring?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
looks to me like the valve is bent on the rocker arm that's off to the side. The spring and all looks crocked to me. I think bent valve.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
looks to me like the valve is bent on the rocker arm that's off to the side. The spring and all looks crocked to me. I think bent valve.

I suppose a bent valve would cause the rocker arm to cut into the stud like that. Anything else I should look for as far water damage?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I suppose a bent valve would cause the rocket arm to cut into the stud like that. Anything else I should look for as far water damage?

Electrolysis, lol...

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I couldn't figure out why it was offset. Pushrod looked straight. What should I be measuring?

Valve lift. If it hydrolocked the cam may have some wiped lifters. Bolt the heads back on, install the pushrods, set up a dial indicator over the valves, rotate the motor over by hand and take notes of all their measurements. If you have variances greater than 0.005" (intake vs intake, exhaust vs exhaust) the cam lobes with the lower numbers are wiped and the cam will need replaced. If you plan on using a different cam I wouldn't even bother. If it were me I know I wouldn't bother lol one of those cylinders looks like it had mushrooms growing in it!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
no I'm not sure on bent valve(meaning the stem) causing the rock to ride sideways, now if the stud it mounts to is bent then yes most definately. Although that is what got cut/worn by the rocker was that stud correct?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Valve lift. If it hydrolocked the cam may have some wiped lifters. Bolt the heads back on, install the pushrods, set up a dial indicator over the valves, rotate the motor over by hand and take notes of all their measurements. If you have variances greater than 0.005" (intake vs intake, exhaust vs exhaust) the cam lobes with the lower numbers are wiped and the cam will need replaced. If you plan on using a different cam I wouldn't even bother. If it were me I know I wouldn't bother lol one of those cylinders looks like it had mushrooms growing in it!

Damn, damn, damn. Oh well, I guess the I didn't get hurt on the deal. $100 for a motor, tranny, t-case, frame, and axles. I kinda planned on the motor being junk, but I was hoping to be proved wrong. Lol. At least I got a good Edelbrock intake and carb.

I would be using a different cam anyway, and possibly Vortec heads if I could get my hands on a set cheap enough. Didn't really want to dump a ton of money into it. Lol. :bawl: Guess I'll have to go find another motor.

I'm going out in a bit to take the pan off and see the rest of the carnage. :popcorn:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would imagine that motor would need a **** ton of machine work.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
after re looking yes the stud is what is cut, so I don't know about it being bent.

worst case if you wanted to use them, drill them for new screw in studs, or have the machine shop check it to be sure, and then check the valve or really just change it to be sure. Heads don't look too aweful because that.

Block, not sure, clean it up, maybe have it honed or just bore it.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
no I'm not sure on bent valve(meaning the stem) causing the rock to ride sideways, now if the stud it mounts to is bent then yes most definately. Although that is what got cut/worn by the rocker was that stud correct?

Yes, that stud was cut into by the rocker arm

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
after re looking yes the stud is what is cut, so I don't know about it being bent.

worst case if you wanted to use them, drill them for new screw in studs, or have the machine shop check it to be sure, and then check the valve or really just change it to be sure. Heads don't look too aweful because that.

Block, not sure, clean it up, maybe have it honed or just bore it.

I'm gonna clean up the block and see what the machine shop says. I planned on boring it over a little. Looks like .040 might clean it up. I'll probably take the heads to him and let him look em over too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS