WARNING - These pictures can cause violence and vomiting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well, here goes. While I have been under the Burban the past few weeks tinkering I have been taking pics of some lovely rust repairs I need to start attacking soon. This is not my area of expertise. Any and all body repair tips will be greatly appreciated here. I live pay check to pay check, so I will be buying a replacement panel here and there and pick away at it. I used to weld, but sheet metal is very intimidating to me. Is there another option like brazing or something? If it's too involved I will just be relying on screws and pop rivets and doing a half assed job. I don't need it show room quality, just funtional and keep the inspection dude off my back. Help me please. :baby:

You must be registered for see images

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
One tip....rather than pop rivets and screws you'd be better off using panel adhesive which you can buy at any auto parts store and is very strong. MUCH better than rivets and screws:)

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Ouch, damn man. I don't miss that ****.

If it were me, I'd honestly see about getting a cheap rust free truck down here and putting all the goodies from yours on it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
One tip....rather than pop rivets and screws you'd be better off using panel adhesive which you can buy at any auto parts store and is very strong. MUCH better than rivets and screws:)
That bit of advice right there was well worth the razzing I am sure is coming to me for posting these pics, lol. Thank you my friend. :High 5:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I ssen panels for most of these areas pictured. But I can't find anything for the body mount rail above the rear axle or an inner panel for inside the rocker at the back door ther at the wheel well. I gues that can be fabbed, it's mostly flat. Also, the to insiide of the rear wheel wells, what do I do there?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've actually heard several welders and body men suggest the panel adhesive too because of it's strengh and sometimes where you weld can create a spot where rust will start in the future.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ouch, damn man. I don't miss that ****.

If it were me, I'd honestly see about getting a cheap rust free truck down here and putting all the goodies from yours on it.
:baby:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
For that I would suggest a Donor body to cut pieces off. Your tools of choice will be a small wire feed welder that runs off 110 volt and a small 4 inch angle grinder with cutoff wheels. Chop and replace, I seem to remember a thread on here where a guy with a suburban did the same thing your looking into doing.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I give you props for attempting to fix it, but if you're not that attached to it...Getting one and having it shipped from here to there will probably be less than trying to fix that one between time and money involved.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
sorry man but I highly doubt panel adhesive is tougher or stronger then rivets or screws, I've never seen it at any local parts store either. Only the body shop supply and requires a $500 gun to apply the crap. I tried some I found online and it was worthless, rivets held better then it did. It would not hold crap.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've seen it sold a auto zone, o'reillys and advance auto parts. Not used it myself but have seen it work and hold up well.

Anywho, from the pics I'm seeing that the fender(s) will need completely replaced along with the rockers and barn doors. Out of that the only thing that will need welded is the rockers. If you cut the old rockers out you can get a mobile welder guy to weld in the new rockers for a couple hundred or less. At least you can around my area.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
hmmm I need to look at AA and AZ more, I've never seen it. Looking to go there sometime soon anyways. I got a welder now so no real need in worrying over panel adhesive. Mines just a cheap flux cored wire feed and works great. I did the cab corners on my 88 and the idiot hit it and dented the one in bad, never came loose or anything.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Have you seen that bondo with metal in it? That's some sneaky **** right there.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I agree with Irishman, get a donor, and cut the pieces off you need plus a little more for fitting, and just get after it. Get your self a good welder, I had the one from Harborfrieght, and burned it out in about 2.5 spools, and plus it didn't make a good weld. I up graded to a Hobart, and have been very happy with it. Once you get you welder, practice with it! Practice makes perfect. I'm not a great welder, but I don't think I'm to bad.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I skinned my tail gate, and than cut out the license plate box, and welded it all up. as far as fenders and replicable parts, just buy new and replace it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottyray