Transmission filter bolt leaves filter loose/floppy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hillybilly

Reaction score
First Name
h
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I removed the tranny filter and didn't pay close attention to how it was put on the case (I know-STUPID!). Anyway, this is a filter that has a plastic spout that press fits into the transmission case, and it ALSO has a bolt (in about the center of the filter) that bolts through the filter>through a bushing/sleeve/spacer on the other side of the filter>and into the case.

My problem is that this bolt does NOT secure the filter! It doesn't really tighten down all the way onto the filter, it leaves about a 1/4" space and the filter then can flop up and down that 1/4". I have the old filter and tried re-using it (Just to see if there was a difference in filters/learn how to put it back on/etc.) But same floppy-ness.

My concern is that when I drive it, this flopping up and down will eventually loosen the plastic spout and that will slip out of the case.

Any advice/help/opinions!?

I'm new here/first post.
THANKS!

1984 GMC Sierra 2500, 5.7L

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
In my experience, that's how they are?....

hillybilly

Reaction score
First Name
h
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank idahovette! So does that mean that the bolt doesn't really do much more than allow the filter to 'hang' off of it? The bolt doesn't really 'hold' the filter at a solid/fixed distance from the case then? (I almost feel like there's another spacer that should go between the filter and the bolt head).

hillybilly

Reaction score
First Name
h
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks! It shall dangle! :)

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My dingythingy doesnt dangle.Turbo 350 anyway....my turbo 700 either

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Did you check to see if the o-ring is on the neck of the new filter?

hillybilly

Reaction score
First Name
h
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeppers! The o-ring is on the filter and the plastic spout is connected to it. (kind of a bear to get that o-ring/spout to connect without the o-ring popping out of the filter - but finally got it to stay put)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
It's normal. Did you put two o-rings on it? I learned that it is normal and to put two o-rings on the filter from @HotRodPC

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
When I did mine, it was a hard push to get the filter to seat in the valve body with the o-rings. I have a 700 r4

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I removed the tranny filter and didn't pay close attention to how it was put on the case (I know-STUPID!). Anyway, this is a filter that has a plastic spout that press fits into the transmission case, and it ALSO has a bolt (in about the center of the filter) that bolts through the filter>through a bushing/sleeve/spacer on the other side of the filter>and into the case.

My problem is that this bolt does NOT secure the filter! It doesn't really tighten down all the way onto the filter, it leaves about a 1/4" space and the filter then can flop up and down that 1/4". I have the old filter and tried re-using it (Just to see if there was a difference in filters/learn how to put it back on/etc.) But same floppy-ness.

My concern is that when I drive it, this flopping up and down will eventually loosen the plastic spout and that will slip out of the case.

Any advice/help/opinions!?

I'm new here/first post.
THANKS!

1984 GMC Sierra 2500, 5.7L
Yours is likely a TH400 with a deep pan. Mine is the same from the factory(it still has the original VIN stamped into the trans). I also have the plastic tube and the space with the longer bolt that lets the filter be a bit loose, it has never been a problem and all of my stuff looks to be original.

One thing to be careful of, is that the heavy duty application of the TH400 with the deep pan will have issues if you use a parts store filter that has the full cloth media in it. You need to use the high flow filter with either a screen or the media that is inside the filter body, not visible through the inlet. If you use the wrong one, it will be too big of a restriction and it will cause the pump to suck air through the plastic spout O-ring. This is bad for the transmission and can cause it to prematurely burn up. You'll know you put the worng one in because you'll hear a loud whine on cold startup for a few seconds.

The correct filter kit is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9TWR6/

Or for just a filter you can get the one that is listed for an TH400/AT540 with the stainless steel mesh https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0767MHHWT/

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yours is likely a TH400 with a deep pan. Mine is the same from the factory(it still has the original VIN stamped into the trans). I also have the plastic tube and the space with the longer bolt that lets the filter be a bit loose, it has never been a problem and all of my stuff looks to be original.

One thing to be careful of, is that the heavy duty application of the TH400 with the deep pan will have issues if you use a parts store filter that has the full cloth media in it. You need to use the high flow filter with either a screen or the media that is inside the filter body, not visible through the inlet. If you use the wrong one, it will be too big of a restriction and it will cause the pump to suck air through the plastic spout O-ring. This is bad for the transmission and can cause it to prematurely burn up. You'll know you put the worng one in because you'll hear a loud whine on cold startup for a few seconds.

The correct filter kit is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9TWR6/

Or for just a filter you can get the one that is listed for an TH400/AT540 with the stainless steel mesh https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0767MHHWT/

I've got them for TH400 that had the dacron media as the filter media. The pump would whine if I shifted manually. Went through two filters before I bought the brass type filter and no more whine.

hillybilly

Reaction score
First Name
h
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks Bextreme04! I wish I'd asked this forum before I bought the parts, those amazon prices are better than O'Reily's. I'll keep an ear out for the loud whine on cold starts to see if I've messed up or not. (fingers crossed)

hillybilly

Reaction score
First Name
h
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Did you check to see if the o-ring is on the neck of the new filter?
The parts kit just came with one O-ring (for the filter). I believe there might be an o-ring up in the case where I stabbed the plastic spout. The 2nd time I pressed on the plastic spout it went up/in about another 1/2" and felt like it popped into a ring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20