Trans Temp gauge, in factory bezel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm needing to put a Trans Temp gauge on my 700R4 trans. I was hoping to get a gauge that I can put in my factory cluster/bezel and it still be accurate.

I was wondering if this can be done? and what size/brand do people recommend to use? Also for the sensor placement, I'd like to keep it simple enough so should I place it in line before the trans? I believe I have the hardlines still if that matters.

If I can place it in the cluster I can get rid of the analog clock that is currently in there.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had a spare temp gauge, placed it where clock goes and connected using autometer probe in the pressure test port. Used a potentiometer + temp gun to calibrate
You must be registered for see images attach

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh dang. So If I cant get an OEM gauge. is there an aftermarket option that will fit the bezel?

I do like the idea of keeping everything stock and clean looking, and have never really liked a lot of add on stuff hanging from my dash.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Shoot, if you really wanted to, you could even use a factory coolant temp sender in the trans pan if you weld in a bung, that way it would match the factory coolant (now a trans temp) gauge perfectly.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Shoot, if you really wanted to, you could even use a factory coolant temp sender in the trans pan if you weld in a bung, that way it would match the factory coolant (now a trans temp) gauge perfectly.

That is my next step, i have installed a pan with a bung a little while ago, but have not transfered the wiring/installed new temp sensor yet. It works the eay it is, and low on priority list.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Mr. foamypirate beat me to it.

But rather than welding a coupling into the pan, consider mounting the sensor in the transmission cooling line (transmission to radiator). This would provide the most accurate indication of highest ATF temperature. And fabrication of the mounting port would be easy. Just insert a 3/8" stainless tee into the tube. Use a couple of bushings and pipe to tubing adapters to plumb it into the line.

You could keep the clock and the coolant temp indicator as stock too. Just mount a SPDT switch on the dash and wire as shown:

You must be registered for see images attach

watertreatpete

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Years ago 1995ish B&M made a small gauge that I adapted to fit in lower left corner spot. It looked close to factory. It came with a sender that installed in the out line of the transmission. I was very pleased with it.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dang, all kinds of ideas are flowing now. I'll probably go with the T in line. and run the gauge up. I don't care much for the clock as I'll have the time on my stereo. well I guess its time to start a build thread as I am starting to see some problems arise with my newly acquired 83. Thanks for the advice everyone :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1