Mechanical temp gauge in head?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dustin86

Reaction score
First Name
dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c1500
Engine Size
383 stroker
I’m wondering if a mechanical temp sensor installed in the driver side head is going to pick up on header heat or if it will give me an accurate reading. I was going to put it in the intake port but I also have a sensor for the electric fans and of course the heater hose in the passenger side intake port. Would it be best to put my mechanical gauge in the head and fan sensor in the intake or will it be fine either way? I’m mainly worried about false readings and was hoping someone here knows a little more about it.
86 sierra c1500 383 stroker

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Personally I'd run it in factory location( cylinder head ) ps. you don't put temp senders in an intake port. Any ways there are so many SBCs running around with headers,never once have I heard of it throwing a gauge off,but readings in the head will be higher due to closer to combustion chamber. I want to check the hottest spot not some meh spot. If you are concerned about it see if your manifold is,or can be drilled for 4 corner cooling. Matter of fact I'd be more interested in doing 4 corner cooling than worrying about gauge sender location. Manifold with four corner cooling pictured. I'll try to find a pic of one plumbed. Too many pics to choose from, Google SBC 4 corner cooling plumbing pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-26_201337.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-26_201337.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 11

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had a mechanical temp gauge in the left head on a 350 SB. Ran around 20 degrees hotter than the thermostat approx 220 with a 195 stat. Just used 220 as the baseline normal temp.