Torque converter connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Ok, so I pulled out my connector yesterday and found this.
You must be registered for see images attach

The plastic legs have broke off inside the female part of the connector(I don't know what you call that part) its on the tranny itself. I bought a new connector with the 3 wires on it. How hard is it to replace the female part in the tranny? and where can I get it?
Here's a pic looking down at the connector where the legs broke off inside it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Did you see this:

BTW - I hope I have not given the impression that I am an expert on this subject.

Because trust me, I'm not.

Everything I know is only what I have picked up since stumbling across this thread... what - like 3 days ago.

Also, something to be aware of; all the "advice" I post on TCC's comes entirely from what I find while reading schematics and service manuals. I have never even seen a TCC solenoid or a low vacuum switch in my life. All my trucks have been very basic - and they all came from the factory without O2 sensors, catalytic converters, EST/ESC.

So remember, as the saying goes - "When it comes to advice, consider the source".

I really couldn't tell you.

But for what it's worth; while the actual case connector may snap in and out of the rubber seal - that's not the issue. You are still going to have to somehow cut the old one off the internal wiring and solder on the new one.

The actual solenoid valve coil is probably a few inches away from the casing penetration and the wiring may have some slack. If so, you might get lucky and be able to make the replacement on the outside of the casing - without opening it up.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Well I received my parts today, I was looking at the case connector, doesn't it supposed to have a rubber O-ring on it? gonna tackle this on Sunday. I'm gonna need some help guys. I still don't know how the actual solenoid comes out and new one goes in. Seems pretty straight forward, but I have never, ever messed with a transmission before.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Believe it or not, I think once you dive in on this, you'll be able to figure it out and see how it all goes together. It is straight forward like you said. Once you get in it, you'll be able to see how it all goes together.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Lets start inside the transmission ...
There are 2 styles of solenoids used in the 700R4.
first is a 1 wire self grounding unit that only requires positive (12v) feed to it.
The other is a 2 wire unit that requires a ground and a positive feed.
Either 1 or 2 wire will work but changes what pressure switch is required.

There are 4 different pressure switches used in 700R4s & there might be as many as 4 in the valve body.
For this wiring you will need a NO (normally open) pressure switch.
To test if a pressure switch is NO use an ohm meter ).
On single post (self grounding) unit touch one lead to the base and the other to the button connector; if there is no resistance then it is a NC switch but if there is resistance then it is a NO switch.
For a 2 post unit instead of connecting one meter lead to the base connect one to each button connector.

Now that that's covered you need to choose if you are going to use a 1 wire or 2 wire solenoid (I just stick with what's already in the 700R4 I'm working on to simplify things)
If you're using a 2 wire solenoid you will need a single post NO pressure switch (if you choose to order new GM part # 8642473 or 8627332).
If you're using a 1 wire solenoid you will need a 2 post NO pressure switch (if you choose to order new GM part # 8643710).

Next I'm going to cover what you will need outside the transmission.
At this point it doesn't matter which way you picked for wiring inside the transmission because this will be the same either way.
Start with a switched 12v source (key on hot) then hook up an inline fuse (10-15amp).
Next hook the fused wire to a brake interrupter switch (used for cutting power to cruise control when brake is pressed) this step can be a bit annoying as not all vehicles have this to start with (my S10 has it built into the brake light switch even tho it never had cruise). If you have cruise (or at least the wires under the hood) in your vehicle you are lucky because you can test and find the switched power wire under the hood and tap into it adding the inline fuse at this point. If you had to add the brake switch run a wire to under the hood from it.
Next you will need a low vacuum switch GM # 14032087 or 14014519 (this will cut the power feed if vacuum is too low like when under heavy acceleration). Myself I get them from the junkyard (found on early 80s full sized trucks, subs & vans for the lockup normally mounted by the brake booster) but you can also order aftermarket units that are adjustable if you have a cammed engine with low vacuum. You then need to run manifold vacuum to the switch.
Finally you will hook the wire from the vacuum switch to the transmission pigtail. Be sure that the wire is matched to the correct connector in the transmission.
You also could replace the 4 plug connector for a single-pin TH400 kick-down connector GM # 24205373 (this seems silly to me but is a bit less bulk).

Now back inside the transmission...
Install the NO pressure switch into the 4th gear pressure port.
Now be sure the positive wire from the connector is hooked to the wire that will feed the solenoid.
For 1 wire solenoid / 2 post pressure switch connect the feed wire to one of the button connectors on the pressure switch; then run a wire from the other button connector to the solenoid wire.

For 2 wire solenoid / single post pressure switch hook the black wire from the solenoid to the pressure switch connection. Then hook the red (may be discolored) wire from the solenoid to the correct wire to connect to the positive feed to the 4 plug connector.

At this point snip any extra wires from the connector both inside and out of the transmission. If you wish to remove any extra pressure switches you can and replace them with 1/8" pipe plugs.

Now here's pictures to show how simple the wiring is because I know just reading the instructions can sound complicated.

Me speaking now.

Here is the link - this guy did a real nice write-up:

http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31223

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great Pic as usually Jerry. I'm fairly certain that switch you have question marks by is probably part of an emissions system. There are certain emissions systems that are dependent on what gear the transmission is in. Even some Th350's had that in Cali cars way back when.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Well, I finally got around to opening up the tranny today, and this is what I found. Also, when I pull off the pan, the filter came down with it. A while back I installed an aluminum deep pan, I was wondering if when the filter came off, was it starving my tranny of fluid? I tried to put the filter back in place, and it just kept slipping out by its own weight, I wonder if the rubber grommet grommet shrunk with the heat?

I pulled out the old case connector and it just broke apart it was so brittle.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If you got a deeper pan make sure you have the filter to match or an extension for it. No it's not supposed to just drop out and if it was starving you'd prob be looking at another trans as we speak. Also I found that a lil crimping of the plug that connects to the case connector will insure a tight connection that won't slip off that solenoid has two nuts holding it up and an o ring at the part that slides in. Pretty simple. Side note I only use the cork pan gasket

Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
My tranny has been shifting normally, I think the grommet on the filter neck got hard & shrunk with the heat. I have a deeper pan but maybe just a half inch deeper than stock.
So I'm guessing it was still pulling fluid. I bench tested my solenoid and it was a bad(no clicking sound).

I'm trying to find a way to test my pressure switch. And I'm still looking for an adjustable vacuum switch.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Here's a pic of my original solenoid( the one that's bad). I've never a yellow one before. I wonder if the heat cooked the plastic on it and changed colors.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yup it's been heat treated

Latest posts