Torque converter connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's common for used ones to look yellowed like that. Hi heat and dirty fluid will discolor them.

So without going way back, are you getting this ironed out yet? Got it locking up yet?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I got the new solenoid in, I was gonna get ready to button it up, when I decided to put a new filter in. I threw my old one away and bought another, turned out it didnt seat properly for some reason. The old one was falling out by its own weight, new one wont even go in past the grommet. And it was too late to go exchange it (every store was closed). I also didnt order a new pressure switch along with all the rest of my parts, cause I didnt know which one it was, im hoping the one thats in there is good. Hopefully tomorrow ill have it working at least with a temporary toggle switch, until I decide which vacuum switch to get.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I got the new solenoid in, I was gonna get ready to button it up, when I decided to put a new filter in. I threw my old one away and bought another, turned out it didnt seat properly for some reason. The old one was falling out by its own weight, new one wont even go past the grommet. And it was too late to go exchange it (every store was closed). I also didnt order a new pressure switch along with all the rest of my parts, cause I didnt know which one it was, im hoping the one thats in there is good. Hopefully tomorrow ill have it working at least with a temporary toggle switch, until I decide which vacuum switch to get.

IIRC, there is an Oring that goes over the plastic tube to the filter. That will help hold it in place. Also, I've had that problem too in the past. I used 2 O rings on the tube and that gave it extra holding power and did the trick. You might give it a try.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
The pressure switch that I have, its a silver two prong, is that a 4-3 normally open? And the wires are they supposed to be heat resistant?
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahh Geez, Don't get to me to lying. I've actually seen both. 2 prong and single. I think it really matters what other switches and wiring harness you have in the trans. I normally just put them back together the way they came apart, or went with an aftermarket kit for retrofits into 3 speed auto vehicles. And I'm talking about the 82-86 models in up to 1990 when I was doing those.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Question, If the 4th gear pressure switch only allows(energizes) the torque converter to lock up in 4th gear, why do you need a vacuum switch?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Because it's actually the vacuum switch that is telling the converter when to lock and unlock, as in motor speed level off, you're cruising not pulling hill or pushing the throttle to the floor or even partial throttle picking up speed. So the Vac switch reads the motor and tell the converter when to lock up, BUT, before the converter will lock up, it has to get permission from the pressure switch first, telling the converter, yes were now cruising in 4th gear, not 3rd, 2nd or 1st, so it's OK to go ahead and lock up now.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I so totally understood that explanation, kinda like a chain of command type thing. Thanks HotRod.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I so totally understood that explanation, kinda like a chain of command type thing. Thanks HotRod.

Yeah kinda like going to the bar. You know you want to go, you know you have a few bucks in your pocket but you have to get permission for the pressure switch... I mean the wife to go. Without her permission, it doesn't matter if you want to go or how much money you have on you, you're not going. :rofl:

That's for those who didn't understand the real explanation.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Well, I got the new solenoid in, new case connector, new connector, and wired it with a toggle switch. I checked the 12 volts going to the connector it was going on and off with the toggle switch. However, at the pressure switch, I jumped the two stubs to make sure the solenoid was clicking, when I hit the toggle switch, it blew the fuse. I then switched the wires on the pressure switch, put in a new fuse, jumped it, and whalla, I got a click from the solenoid with the toggle switch. Do the 2 prong pressure switches have a specific side where the 12 volts go in??? I put the new filter and pan back on, buttoned everything down and took it for a spin on the freeway. No lock-up whatsoever! (**** me sideways)! The only thing it could be is a bad pressure switch(the new one hasn't yet arrived in the mail), or the lock-up clutch on the converter itself is bad, or it has a non-locking converter. Oh, almost forgot, after the short run on the freeway, after I got back, I crawled under the truck, and the tranny was extremely hot to the touch.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Can anyone tell what kind of converter I have by looking at it?

Attachments

• TORQUE3.jpg
    TORQUE3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 116
  • TORQUE4.jpg
    TORQUE4.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 112
  • TORQUE1.jpg
    TORQUE1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 110
  • TORQUE5.jpg
    TORQUE5.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Ok, so I should be getting the new switch in the mail today or tomorrow, and I'm thinking about moving it over to the 4th gear pressure port.
You must be registered for see images attach

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Did you notice if the trans was shifting faster than before? Also do you have a big trans cooler?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Question, If the 4th gear pressure switch only allows(energizes) the torque converter to lock up in 4th gear, why do you need a vacuum switch?

Its my understanding that when climbing a hill in 4th and stepping into it that you actually want the converter to unlock and be able to slip in order to up pressure and keep you going up the hill. Thus the vacuum switch will shut off power to the lock up solenoid when manifold vacuum drops due to throttle increase. After enough throttle the TV cable will down shift to 3rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83C30dually