Tire Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagnumT/A

Reaction score
First Name
Enoch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
305 SBC
I have 44 inch Dick Cepek fun country tires that won't hold any air and it seems that they don't make these tires in this size anymore. My truck also has a 12' lift, is it ok to go with a slightly smaller tire? I'm kind of a novice to the big truck world. Any help, advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, it's fine to go with a smaller tire. I know you are new to the "big truck world", but what do you think the results will be by going to a smaller tire?

Is this your Blazer that is lifted? Pics!

MagnumT/A

Reaction score
First Name
Enoch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
305 SBC
Just want it to be a little more driveable honestly. I sit up as high as a fire truck lol. I'd honestly leave these tires on but they wont hold air for more than a week. I'll post up a pic in a few

MagnumT/A

Reaction score
First Name
Enoch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
305 SBC
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

MagnumT/A

Reaction score
First Name
Enoch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
305 SBC
That's after a good wash and some tire shine. Pics are a couple years old

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice Blazer! It looks like there is very little clearance between the tires and body. Here is what I would be looking at if I was needing new tires for it. Is there a body lift on it? If there is, I would be removing it. This will make it safer if ever in a accident, lower the C.O.G. for a whole host of benefits, and I just don't care for them in general. This will effectively bring you down 3" by removing the body lift, bringing your tire size down from the current 44's to 41's. I would also be looking at creating some more clearance while I am at it, so I would be looking at 38's or 39's for it. This also makes buying tires easier on the wallet.

If you just want new tires and that's it, I would look at 39's or 42's for it.

What tranny and gears are you running? Smaller tires also put less stress on your drivetrain, another consideration. Hope this helps.

MagnumT/A

Reaction score
First Name
Enoch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
305 SBC
It's actually all suspension. The guy had a six inch body lift he sold me with it too, but that would just be WAY too much for me right now. Current tire is 18.5 44 15 so im looking for something that can go on the wheels I have now. I know im gonna have to pony up for new tires so im looking to keep my current wheels. Do you think the 12" suspension lift will ride alright with 39's? I think that is probably the size I'd like to go with. Thank you for your input....I don't personally know anyone who is into squarebodies or big trucks , so this site is my only reference right now;)

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
39's would be a good match.

MagnumT/A

Reaction score
First Name
Enoch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
305 SBC
I'd get fun country tires in 39 but cepek doesn't seem to make them anymore. Any recommendations? Looking for a tire that will be somewhat quiet on the road, and the Fun Country's have spoiled me as far as noise level.Once again, I appreciate all the help.

MagnumT/A

Reaction score
First Name
Enoch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
305 SBC
I'm not going mudding at all with it at this point. I bought it strictly because I love Squarebodies. So I guess the objective would be just for personal enjoyment, to take off the top and enjoy the summer fun and keep it in the family so when my little girl can drive it'll be hers. I do want to do an engine swap this summer though for a little extra giddyup. I have an LT1 and a turbo set up that I was going to put in a turbo regal I had but I chose the K5 over the Regal and I think I'm gonna drop it in the blazer:pimp:

My objectives for this truck are probably not what you'd expect by looking at it. I was looking at K5's burbs etc... and this one was in the best running condition but the ride height has always been just a little too much for me, so I'd like to bring it down 4-5 inches and I can do that with a tire swap

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
These days the selection for 40"+ size tires to go on a 15" wheel are limited to the hardcore mud tires, not something you are looking for. If it were me, I would look to sell your current wheels and tires. Buy some 17" tires and mount up some 40x13.5R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. A guy I work with has these in the 37" variety on his D-Max and loves them. Here are a couple of links for reference...

Tires... http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/40...spx?t_c=13&t_s=159&t_pt=10129&t_pn=NIT205-980

Wheels... http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/S...?t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pn=PXA7069-7983

Simple black wheels with 40" tires. It will cut down on your width, relieve stress on your steering components, give your truck a little more peppiness, and probably make the driving experience better for you.

Before you go through the trouble of swapping in that LT1, figure out what gears you have and make sure you get some in there that are more suited to those huge tires. I would say at the very least you should be running 4.88's or 5.13's. Getting this right will make your transmission last longer and be happier in the long run. After that you might still want to swap in that LT1, but you might not be in such a big hurry to do it.

BTW, your objectives are exactly what I thought they were going to be, and that's not a bad thing.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
You could get the super swamper sts all terrain's , they stiil make those in 38's and 39.5's and they are fairly mellow and big

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
With that size tire I would not even waste the money on gear's for half ton stuff , I would jump up to 8 lug before anything. Another thing if you do a lot of freeway driving you need to be careful with low gear's. The pinion get's small with low gear's and it spins faster with low gear's and over heats the gear oil. I have 4.88's in my crew cab with 44's and in the summer going down the hwy. at 70 for say 40 miles it spits out the vent tube a bit and you can't even put your hand on the diff cover. I was told by my gear guy that 4.88's was max for freeway use because I was going to go with 5.13's , glad I did'nt

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I haven't heard many great reviews on the STS's, and I have no personal experience with them, that's why I didn't mention them.

I definitely agree with what hirschdalechevy says. Good info on the gears too, I never really thought of those aspects of it. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06