Three on tree and steering refurbish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Selo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
New here, hope everyone is doing good.

I have a 1984 C10 250 I6 with three on the tree. The column shifting mechanism needed to be cleaned and greased etc and the link between the starter switch and key lock was screwing up to where I could not turn the key enough to engage the starter. SO to make a long story short I found a company that could rebuild/restore the column and all components. I will receive it back next week (Feb 6).

In the mean time, after removing and shipping the column, I noticed a steering box leak and the intermediate shaft and flex coupling could use replacement. So I have a AcDelco reman. box, a new coupling (from Summit)and new intermediate shaft (Borgeson).

Last night I installed the flex coupling and today hope to reinstall the new box and then new Gates PS hoses (Rock Auto). Have had a heck of a time confirming the pitman arm nut size. A 1 5/16" socket seems loose at the parts store and 1 1/4" is too small. I think it is 33mm. The torque setting is 185 ft. lbs. so I don't want to install it with an adjustable wrench.

Typical project creep. Next project is looking for a Muncie three speed used in these model trucks.

JS

richard A lindner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard lindner
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Good luck on the trans ,i have been looking for one myself. I have an 83 like yours

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Hang on to the ps gear. It may be better leaking ,than your new box is. Being a 2 wheel drive ,the new one may be ok. ymmv

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A 33mm socket is easy to find, due to it being a common truck lugnut size.

Also, I love that you are sticking with the 3 on the tree!

Selo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Richard, yeah, you'd think those 3 speeds would be easier to find.

Charlie, thanks for the welcome from way out in Euless.

Idahovette, I'm not sending my original gearbox back for that very reason. I may rebuild it.

Bucket, Might be easy socket to find somewhere, but the local auto parts stores, Tractor supply, HF, Lowe's etc sure don't know it.

To Bucket and Shorty, yeah, I like the six with column shift and just can't bring myself to cut a hole in the floor.

Saw it said the other day, a three-on-the-
You must be registered for see images attach
tree is a Millennial theft deterrent device :D.

Thanks again, I'll keep y'all posted on my progress.

Selo

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
NAPA should have the socket, in their Carlyle brand.

Selo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks Bucket. I checked Carlyle tools at NAPA and they did not have a 33mm in stock. I did not go to other NAPA stores as I went home and ordered it online with my Amazon Prime. It will be here tomorrow which is good because I made some progress tonight.

I got the gearbox threads chased, then installed the box with new grade 8's. I will torque them when I get everything installed (do you think I should put locktite on them?. Tomorrow I hope to get the new hoses and intermediate shaft installed and the pitman arm nut on. Here are a few pics. The one of bagged hoses is for anyone needing PN's.

The picture of the air filter housing"tube" which connects the air cleaner housing to the grille for cooler air is so far impossible to find. Guess I'm going to have to rig something up.

Later.

Selo

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
For what it is worth, the "hole" you would need to cut in the floor is only a slot about 1" wide by maybe 3 1/2". It has been many years since I have put in a shifter, but the cutout needed in the floor is minimal.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
For what it is worth, the "hole" you would need to cut in the floor is only a slot about 1" wide by maybe 3 1/2". It has been many years since I have put in a shifter, but the cutout needed in the floor is minimal.

Keeping it stock is way cooler though.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I like what you're doing here. Very nice. Three on tree is a theft deterrent. When I take Crusty Biscuit to get any work done like tires or alignment, I have to drive it for them because they can't wrap their head an H-shift pattern that isn't on the floor.

Selo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
rt66paul, I appreciate the info, but regardless of size I don't want to cut the floor.

Doubledingo, I hear you. It ain't stock but once. The column shift difficulty is hard to understand, I don't remember having any trouble with it in my first three on the tree.

Cheers

Selo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Update: the pitman arm nut on my 84 C10 is definitely 33mm.

I got the pitman arm started on the gear box shaft and the nut with washer started with no problem. Is it standard procedure to use the nut to push the arm completely on the shaft? I plan to loosen the gearbox mounting bolts a smidge to allow a little wiggle room to help get the arm on the shaft. Pointers would be very appreciated and welcome.

Cheers

Selo

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model