Three on tree and steering refurbish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Don't know if it really makes a difference or not, I usually lock the steering wheel in the middle somewhere with the key (if it works) and tighten the pitman arm nut. Keeps from jamming the gear at the end of travel.

Selo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey all,

My rebuilt column was shipped today. I'll probably get it Monday. Been trying to have everything ready for the re-install. In the picture, any of you fellows know a source for No's 20, 21, 22 ?

Appreciate the help,

Selo

Attachments

• Manual linkage.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 209

Selo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Doc,

Thank you. I think I may have found the clips. Will let you know when I find the sleeve. I'm hoping to find it in nylon, my guess is the OEM was steel.

Cheers,

Selo

Doc_Ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500 shortbed
Engine Size
Actually mine are nylon. Old, cracked nylon. They’re doing the job for now, but they’re the only part of the assembly I haven’t been able to freshen up.

The biggest challenge I had was my #5 bushing was completely worn out, it’s fairly critical to not have play there and I couldn’t find a replacement anywhere.
I’d thought of having one made, but I decided to fabricate a new bracket for the frame that accepts a spherical bearing instead. Works like a charm.

Selo

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help and advice. I have the rebuilt gear box installed with a Borgeson intermediate shaft and my rebuilt column with three speed manual column shift. Steers and shifts like a new truck. I replaced the PS lines and so once installed put about a quart of new fluid in. Plan to flush and replace all the fluid very soon.

I posted a thread in the Brakes section as my brake lights stayed on. They there helped me correct my mistake as I had moved the brake light switch and now all is good. Only two small things I am not fully happy about. One of the steering gear bolts stripped in the gear housing as I was attempting to torque it to torque specs. The other is the steering wheel is not perfectly centered. Off just a bit.

A question: if I have questions about the carburetor should I start another thread in the carb forum? Been wondering what carb this is on my 250 ci I6.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Cheers,

Selo

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Typical project creep. Next project is looking for a Muncie three speed used in these model trucks.

Any particular reason you're looking for the three speed Muncie and not the Cast Iron three speed Saginaw these trucks came with? They aren't difficult to rebuild if it needs that kind of attention.
The Saginaw boxes only had two rows of needles on the countershaft so the four speeds countershaft tended to wear... probably the three speed suffered from the same deficiency but it's not really a terribly big deal.

The shift linkage bushing on the column shifter arm is the same piece as on the automatic transmission columns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep