Lower steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skidrew32

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I need to replace a steering column. I have a good one, but the lower shaft is missing. The column is all still assembled. Is this a 2 piece shaft? Is it possible to pull the lower shaft from old and slide it in the replacement?
You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I need to replace a steering column. I have a good one, but the lower shaft is missing. The column is all still assembled. Is this a 2 piece shaft? Is it possible to pull the lower shaft from old and slide it in the replacement?
Not sure about your question BUT....

While your there, look at replacing your intermediate shaft with a Jeep Cherokee shaft. It eliminates the rag joint and play. link below.

87chevy_com

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
L83
From what I remember taking mine apart, no, it will not just slide in / out. To replace it you would need to disassemble the column 100%.
that shaft is similar to the intermediate shaft that connects the column to the gear box. assembled and set with plastic to make it solid, yet can collapse if enough force is applied.
clint

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@skidrew32 I think you have to pull that out from the steering wheel side due to the way the bearings are installed.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
By lower shaft do you mean the part from firewall-ish area down to the steering box with a joint on both ends and a collapsible center? Or just the lower half of the collapsible section?

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
The whole thing needs to be disassembled, and the poster above is correct- must be pulled out via steering wheel end

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad