The last pre-emmisions diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I don't know the size of your trailer, but I get a consistent 11-11.5 mpg towing my 5500 lb, nearly 12' high Jayco with my '07 with 65 mph highway speeds.

I have to agree with you on the hotels. I have a short 4 night trip coming up at the end of the month that I will be at a hotel. Not looking forward to it at all.
Our little one is 3500lbs dry and only 7’ wide. It should tuck back there pretty good. The 2020 Cummins with the Aisin auto got a tad over 14 on the lie-ometer towing it 6 hours home from my last work assignment through fairly flat terrain. It’s a heavier 3500 with all the computers, 732 speakers(lol), and 3 cows worth of leather being a Laramie Longhorn.

The 2003-04s are supposed to be the cream of the crop for mpg and Cummins with the exception of maybe a stock 97 12v. This one has a 6 speed manual, so we’ll see.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@Frankenchevy , define "decent"...............is that where they wash your car for you............lol, but really, I know what you mean. Some places you don't want to even drive by
Decent means they have a Tesla destination charger in the parking lot, lol! We take a tarp for the bed and bring our own pillows and sleeping bags.

I’m the opposite of a germaphobe, but I have a serious problem with jizzaphobia.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
With that trailer, that 12.5 mpg is definitely a reasonable guess, especially with the early common rail 5.9.
My '07 is an early AD (lower gear ratio) G65 manual with 3.73's. It is definitely gear limited for great MPG at highway speeds.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The front axle shaft u joints on my 04 2500 were by far the sketchiest u joints I’ve popped out. It took way more force with my 20 ton press than anything I’ve done.

When the stub shaft finally relieved itself of the u joint, the u joint popped with so much force that it left a chingas on the inside of the yoke from where the body of the u joint struck it. All four contact points left a pretty decent burr. I thought about filing, but I might just get new axle shafts from summit. What brand would you guys get or would you file it down and send it? I was looking at Yukon.

I’m about $30k into the truck at this point. I wasn’t looking to spend another $1000 on shafts, but I plan on keeping it forever…

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How many miles on this truck? Those look to be the original factory joints I believe.

I've done so many of those joints that I've lost count. They tend to eat them pretty regularly, especially if you use four wheel drive on a regular basis. I'd personally smooth out those burrs, reassemble, and call it a day. If it makes you feel any better, they come out a whole lot easier the second time around....LOL

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
How many miles on this truck? Those look to be the original factory joints I believe.

I've done so many of those joints that I've lost count. They tend to eat them pretty regularly, especially if you use four wheel drive on a regular basis. I'd personally smooth out those burrs, reassemble, and call it a day. If it makes you feel any better, they come out a whole lot easier the second time around....LOL
I believe they are original. 200k on the truck. I’m worried I may’ve spread the ears and I’ll be throwing good ujoints at it.

I found Yukon axle shafts; $650 for both. All the websites are listing 12- bolt 9.25” for a Cummins when it’s a 14 bolt. Is this a common typo?

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's a great question. I did a search using my vin# and it came up with this Yukon set.

Are you showing the same? I would definitely give them a call direct to confirm.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That's a great question. I did a search using my vin# and it came up with this Yukon set.

Are you showing the same? I would definitely give them a call direct to confirm.
That’s for the more trick cro-mo set. The ones I’m looking at are more of a stock replacement and come with u joints pre-installed.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So, more like this one?

Yep, that’s what I came up with. I was just concerned from typing that into summit and a couple other sites they’re listing it as a 12-bolt vs 14. Is the AAM 9.25” a 12-bolt R&P? I figured they were counting the diff cover bolts, but maybe it the ring gear bolts…

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't honestly remember off the top of my head. I think that is the right one but I would definitely call and make sure.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I ordered them from a vendor that had them in stock. Worst case scenario, I can return them.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Nice truck. Don't know how I missed this thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1