The last pre-emmisions diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Here's a couple pics of how I have my aux 2 micron filter mounted.

You must be registered for see images attach
Nice clean installation!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So the pre-emission smudgepot got ya feeling a little guilty huh? I assume that's the reason for buying the Tesla? LOL

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So the pre-emission smudgepot got ya feeling a little guilty huh? I assume that's the reason for buying the Tesla? LOL
Something like that, lol! I drive 2500 miles a month and saw the writing on the wall with fuel prices. The fact that it’s fast as hell doesn’t hurt either.

Crazy thing is, it’s gone up considerably in value. I guess a 12-18 month waiting list for a new one will do that to the used inventory.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I made good progress when I got home from work today. I have the passenger side completely disassembled ready for new control arms, unit bearings, ball joints, coils, shocks track bar, end links, etc… I need to pull the exhaust to make the UCA bolt easier to get to.

I ordered a new stainless exhaust too. Unfortunately the box showed up like this. The mating surface for the turbo down pipe had a dent and a few other pieces were beat up. Summit is sending me a new one.

I order a few other parts, but the one I’m most excited about is the 1-piece aluminum drive shaft.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I made good progress when I got home from work today. I have the passenger side completely disassembled ready for new control arms, unit bearings, ball joints, coils, shocks track bar, end links, etc… I need to pull the exhaust to make the UCA bolt easier to get to.

I ordered a new stainless exhaust too. Unfortunately the box showed up like this. The mating surface for the turbo down pipe had a dent and a few other pieces were beat up. Summit is sending me a new one.

I order a few other parts, but the one I’m most excited about is the 1-piece aluminum drive shaft.

You are going to love the MBRP exhaust. I have one on both my current 2007 and the 2004.5 that we have sitting in the weeds. Both were installed when the trucks were new and other than replacing a few hangers over the years, have been absolutely flawless. Absolutely no drone, even when towing.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You are going to love the MBRP exhaust. I have one on both my current 2007 and the 2004.5 that we have sitting in the weeds. Both were installed when the trucks were new and other than replacing a few hangers over the years, have been absolutely flawless. Absolutely no drone, even when towing.
Are the hangers made of the same stainless as the exhaust tubing?

I’m building this to be my wife’s tow vehicle. I want it to be low key, but upgraded and reliable. I think it’ll ride great with the front end completely rebuilt and all the Carli suspension goodies.

Though I must admit, all of the stuff I pulled off has been oem and seemingly original. The unit bearings seemed to be in good shape, as did the ball joints. Still has the original Chrysler stamped shocks. Leads me to believe it’s lived a fairly easy life if all that stuff is still holding up.

I think we might take it on a nice long road trip through Nevada, Utah and Wyoming this summer to make sure every is good to go for her.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are the hangers made of the same stainless as the exhaust tubing?

I’m building this to be my wife’s tow vehicle. I want it to be low key, but upgraded and reliable. I think it’ll ride great with the front end completely rebuilt and all the Carli suspension goodies.

Though I must admit, all of the stuff I pulled off has been oem and seemingly original. The unit bearings seemed to be in good shape, as did the ball joints. Still has the original Chrysler stamped shocks. Leads me to believe it’s lived a fairly easy life if all that stuff is still holding up.

I think we might take it on a nice long road trip through Nevada, Utah and Wyoming this summer to make sure every is good to go for her.
Yes, the hangers appear to be stainless like the system. I've never had any issues with them rusting, only the welds breaking off from abuse on the plow truck. There have been a couple of times that we've slid it off the road and or high centered it and most likely they just broke loose eventually from that. The one on the 07 hasn't been any trouble at all.

Sounds like you have great plans for your truck. I've never used the Carli stuff personally. But I've never heard a negative comment from anyone that has.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Diesel is now $5/gallon here. If my wife uttered the word "roadtrip" I'd slap her!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Diesel is now $5/gallon here. If my wife uttered the word "roadtrip" I'd slap her!

Same here. We’re figuring on a 2500 mile loop at a conservative 12.5 mpg towing our smaller camper; or about 200 gallons. Even at $6/gallon it’s worth the $1200 to see the sites and get outta Dodge for a couple weeks.

At least to us. We haven’t had a vacation like this for a long time.

…it’s either that or we take the Tesla and stay in hotels and sleep in beds saturated with other human’s bodily fluids and probably spend more on the hotel stay. It’s $200-400+ a night at decent places now.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Same here. We’re figuring on a 2500 mile loop at a conservative 12.5 mpg towing our smaller camper; or about 200 gallons. Even at $6/gallon it’s worth the $1200 to see the sites and get outta Dodge for a couple weeks.

At least to us. We haven’t had a vacation like this for a long time.

…it’s either that or we take the Tesla and stay in hotels and sleep in beds saturated with other human’s bodily fluids and probably spend more on the hotel stay. It’s $200-400+ a night at decent places now.

I don't know the size of your trailer, but I get a consistent 11-11.5 mpg towing my 5500 lb, nearly 12' high Jayco with my '07 with 65 mph highway speeds.

I have to agree with you on the hotels. I have a short 4 night trip coming up at the end of the month that I will be at a hotel. Not looking forward to it at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128