The last pre-emmisions diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You must be registered for see images attach
This came up for sale near me and I decided to jump. This will me my tow pig for tractors and equipment. Hopefully I will find a decent price on a gooseneck equipment trailer soon. It has the typical dodge clear coat stuff going on, but otherwise fairly clean and completely unmolested. I’m going through every system in this truck to bring it back to a fresh state of maintenance.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
In my area second gen 97s are the last pre smog. Where abouts are you located?

Is that the nv5600?
I’m jealous of your power train

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yep, NV5600. 97 and older diesel vehicles are smog exempt in California. The emissions equipment for diesels such as cats and DPF and eventually DEF didn’t start for most diesel trucks until the early mid 2000s. The truck is pre-emissions in the sense that it doesn’t have any emissions equipment, but still would require inspection every two years if I lived in a different zip.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It still has a cat? (Or should in Cali?)
If it doesn’t and turns out you need one, I cut the cat off my 07 Cummins. Dunno if it’s a valuable one. Right now it’s just trapping leaves next to the shop.
Thought it was getting plugged but my egts basically stayed the same.
Fwiw, 07 models were the last non dpf light duty trucks.
07.5 - up (mfg after Jan 1 07) were the first Tier IV emissions.

Nice truck! 5600 and an exhaust brake = a pulling machine!

Couple things, if you replace the serpent belt, only use OEM or Continental (used to be gator back ) belts. All others squeal as soon as the first bit of contamination hit them.
Lift pump, if by chance it still has the one on the side of the engine, they s uck. But the in tank pumps are very reliable and the expensive aftermarket ones like fass and airdog are hit and miss for quality.
If power steering pump goes out and it’s the original design one, don’t bother replacing it in kind unless you’re in a pinch. The 07.5 and up “ZF” designed pumps are 1000% better.
Those trucks are like an old squarebody, there’s a pile of tips and tricks and a bunch of upgrades parts that are compatible and much better.
Congrats on the score!

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
For all things Dodge diesel, look to Turbo Diesel Register (TDR) and their corresponding store "Geno's Garage".

I've got 15 or 20 years of their magazine you're welcome to have, but you have to fetch them in person, unless you want to spring for shipping. My zip 76238.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I always thought diesel was non emissions until 2007?

Either way that's a nice truck, love how it's a standard. My Dad had a new '02 (I think that was the first year of that body style, it was gas and auto 1/2 ton fwiw) when I was in high school and I loved driving it, seeing that interior brings me back. I would've picked that up too if the price were right, looks like you got yourself a nice tow rig there!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I always thought diesel was non emissions until 2007?

Either way that's a nice truck, love how it's a standard. My Dad had a new '02 (I think that was the first year of that body style, it was gas and auto 1/2 ton fwiw) when I was in high school and I loved driving it, seeing that interior brings me back. I would've picked that up too if the price were right, looks like you got yourself a nice tow rig there!
I think you’re right. Around 07 they had most of the emissions stuff they have now. This truck being an 04 doesn’t have cats. Starting in 04.5 they got cats, a different piston shape, a slightly different cam and three injector events per cycle to reduce NOx.

It’s probably splitting hairs, but the 03-04 piston design is said to be better than the later 5.9 Cummins. They went back to the 03-04 piston shape in the 6.7s. Apparently there were issues of the other design melting pistons. Then again, there are many examples of the 04.5-07 trucks with 400,000+ miles.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Nice score!

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think you’re right. Around 07 they had most of the emissions stuff they have now. This truck being an 04 doesn’t have cats. Starting in 04.5 they got cats, a different piston shape, a slightly different cam and three injector events per cycle to reduce NOx.

It’s probably splitting hairs, but the 03-04 piston design is said to be better than the later 5.9 Cummins. They went back to the 03-04 piston shape in the 6.7s. Apparently there were issues of the other design melting pistons. Then again, there are many examples of the 04.5-07 trucks with 400,000+ miles.

Wow, I can't believe that I missed this thread when you first posted it. Glad to see that you joined the 3rd gen Cummins family.

I have a 2007 5.9L 6-speed. It was an October 2006 build. I purchased it new in May of 2007. I will continue to fix mine as long as I can still turn a wrench. I absolutely love it.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m stuck here for now. Waiting on more parts. I’m going to reseal the timing cover and put in a new front main seal. Then I’m going to replace every single hose under the hood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL