TH350 help plz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78ScottsGirl

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
350 small block
Okay y'all this Tennessee gal needs some reliable info. How in the world do I get my transmission spring (the one the the kickdown cable hooks to in the tranny) back into the tranny after fixing the leak? I've chased every forum and searched till my eyes are crossed and my head is hurting. I'm at my wit's end here. I need this settled so I can get it fixed today and filled back up with fluid and bouncing back. I've had it apart for a week now. Help?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If your asking about the hairpin shaped clip the lever pivots on, it helps to clamp it in a pair of vise grips. It helps if you unhook the cable up at the carb, the extra slack helps.

If that’s not what your working on, post a pic.

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
umm well... she said "in the tranny" and "back into the tranny"

and so this would be the cable/end to the kick down link/wire connect-to-kick down/"passing gear" control valve spring thats inside the tranny.. inside the pan area end of the cable. pull the pan off. to get to that spring and put it back where its supposed to go, in there. for now you can drive it just without it without any issue at all,, as it simply is just for your "passing gear"

How in the world do I get my transmission spring (the one the the kickdown cable hooks to in the tranny) back into the tranny after fixing the leak?

Last edited:

78ScottsGirl

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
350 small block
Thanks y'all. I got it figured out. Took off the valve body and found out the problem. I haven't had any forward motion from my th350, SOooo I've done all the "checks" to determine what was causing the problem. AND this is what I've got down to, have determined the intermediate clutch band has came off or is broken. So my next step is removing the transmission and fix the band. Yay this just came at the wrong time of the year! Well I'll keep y'all posted on my achievements. This is going to be a little battle for me to get this transmission out. I'm now trying to figure out if I've got to remove the np203 with the tranny or not. Any help with removable tips is welcomed and much appreciated.

78ScottsGirl

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
350 small block
See here, it shows the band is displaced inside the transmission

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The band is only used in manual second gear. It has nothing to do with forward gear. You could leave the band out and the truck would still move forward.

The only function of the intermediate band is to provide engine braking when you downshift into second gear.

if the truck won’t move in forward, the forward clutch or low/reverse roller clutch failure is the most likely cause. If you put the shifter in 1st gear and the truck moves, the the roller clutch has failed.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Have you ever pulled a transmission?Are you going to be on the ground or on a lift?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, you have more severe problems other than the band displaced. I'm curious how the band gets displaced. It hooks on lugs that make it about impossible to move to far. Of course that's just on one end. The other end depends on the servo pin to hold it in place. But do pull it and tear it down. We're curious to see what it was. My guess is going to be forward clutch pack is done. How did the fluid look?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120