79 k10 th350 major leak help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79K10Step

Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just finished a two year restoration on my 79k10 stepside. There is a huge trail of transmission fluid leading up the driveway to my truck. Seems to have blown out all of the fluid while parking the truck in my garage. I searched for the leak, transmission cooler lines fine, speedo cable was disconnected fixed that, checked torque on drain pan nuts, checked detent and dipstick. After snugging up a few things put about 2 quarts transmission fluid back in no leak until I put it in reverse and backed up, blew out all the fluid. Tried to find the leak again on the TH350 and appears to be just above the 4 wheel drive shift levers as there is a 1/2 diameter tube with shinny appearance that may have blown out???

I can work on motors ok transmissions not so much? Any ideas would be appreciated as it seems I may have to tow it to a local shop?

79K10Step

Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Was not the shinny tube I saw, checking the vent today for blockage. If so hope it will be fixed.

gsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Just finished a two year restoration on my 79k10 stepside. There is a huge trail of transmission fluid leading up the driveway to my truck. Seems to have blown out all of the fluid while parking the truck in my garage. I searched for the leak, transmission cooler lines fine, speedo cable was disconnected fixed that, checked torque on drain pan nuts, checked detent and dipstick. After snugging up a few things put about 2 quarts transmission fluid back in no leak until I put it in reverse and backed up, blew out all the fluid. Tried to find the leak again on the TH350 and appears to be just above the 4 wheel drive shift levers as there is a 1/2 diameter tube with shinny appearance that may have blown out???

I can work on motors ok transmissions not so much? Any ideas would be appreciated as it seems I may have to tow it to a local shop?
YouTube has a top notch trans shop called Precision Transmission in Amarillo, TX. Richard & Theresa run the shop and after a few videos of the various rebuilds, you will see what I'm referring to. He now works from his home shop. First class shop plus he has tons of core parts in stock. Well worth your time to see his abilities. There's another shop in TX run by Hiram called Automatic Transmission. He is knowledgeable as well.
https://www.youtube.com/@PrecisionTransmission/videos
https://www.youtube.com/@richardteresacricheducatio3542

79K10Step

Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info.

Latest posts