TBI related Q

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just curious, how much upgrade work can I do before the TBI isn't able to keep up? Reason why I'm asking is I am sorta planning a top-end upgrade. With 82K on the engine, it still pulls hard enough to break the tires loose. Basically, all I want to do is replace the heads, intake manifold, cam shaft and exhaust, and dizzy. Or, am I wasting my time trying to rejuve a high-mileage engine?

Thanks

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just curious, how much upgrade work can I do before the TBI isn't able to keep up? Reason why I'm asking is I am sorta planning a top-end upgrade. With 82K on the engine, it still pulls hard enough to break the tires loose. Basically, all I want to do is replace the heads, intake manifold, cam shaft and exhaust, and dizzy. Or, am I wasting my time trying to rejuve a high-mileage engine?

Thanks

IF you find that you need more CFM due to mods, just get a ported throttle body. It will have 2" barrels like on the TBI 454.
It all really depends on what you are trying to do.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
IF you find that you need more CFM due to mods, just get a ported throttle body. It will have 2" barrels like on the TBI 454.
It all really depends on what you are trying to do.

Basically, just want to make my daily driver a bit more fun to drive.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Basically, just want to make my daily driver a bit more fun to drive.

Build your top end the way you like, and get a custom chip tune, and you should be good. I would still get the ported TB though. Also, a roller cam from an l31 vortec really works good with TBI heads.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I don't have a clue about any of this. What I am wanting to achieve is similar to an '85 fleetside I had a couple years ago. Basically a 355 with a MutherThumper cam, heads, and exhaust (already installed when I bought the truck). The heads on that motor were from a 305 (601 head). It had an edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb. However, what I want to avoid is having to use higher octane gas like that motor needed.

Am I asking too much? How far can I go on upgrades before I need to use higher octane gas?

I'm still in the planning stages. Primary goal here is to achieve the best performance and still use 87 octane gas.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I consistantly get a lot better mileage using the higher octane fuel.
With over 250,000 miles on the engine and it still idles real smooth and it will still break the tires loose and I contribute that to most always using the higher grade of fuel.
Still has original cat. on it and I have had to change the O2 sensor once, right after I got the pickup with just over 100,000 miles on it.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't have a clue about any of this. What I am wanting to achieve is similar to an '85 fleetside I had a couple years ago. Basically a 355 with a MutherThumper cam, heads, and exhaust (already installed when I bought the truck). The heads on that motor were from a 305 (601 head). It had an edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb. However, what I want to avoid is having to use higher octane gas like that motor needed.

Am I asking too much? How far can I go on upgrades before I need to use higher octane gas?

I'm still in the planning stages. Primary goal here is to achieve the best performance and still use 87 octane gas.

Thanks!
You can change your rear gearing. It will help a lot on your take off. You might want to consider a new limited slip carrier also depending on which gear ratio you change it to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69