Talk me out of cutting my dash

Cut the dash?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WomenandthePolice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Char
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Cut. Cut. Cut. I'm in the process installing a new dash. I just aquired a radio and trying to figure out speakers now. Having some issues figuring out gauges too.

You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Holy Christ mother of God!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'm going through this dash cutting issue myself. While I don't have issues changing stuff on a vehicle I am having a hard time cutting the dash to fit a modern radio.

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I say do it,but do a good job and make it look and fit nice,don't just hack it.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I feel like my leg is being pulled.......

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I have been struggling with a situation similar to this. My '85 K5 came cut with an Alpine CD player in it that spits out CD's. It won't play CDR's or regular CD's, either. I was going to buy an old Pioneer Super Tuner cassette deck and have an old electronics repairman I know clean the head, align the tuner, and replace the belts. For digital music I was going to get one of those FM transmitters that plugs into your cig lighter that hooks to Bluetooth. Then I could broadcast music from my phone into the FM transmitter via Bluetooth and into the tape deck via the FM transmitter. Sounds a lot more confusing than it actually is. I even had the specific model of tape deck I wanted to get picked out in my mind - a Pioneer KP-500. These things are badass. I actually restored one about 10 years ago. I bought it in a pawn shop for five bucks, found new belts online for another five bucks, and had my stereo guy repair it for $15. I had a grand total of $25 in the thing and ended up selling it on eBay to a guy in Australia who was going to put it in a '79 Trans-AM he was restoring. I got $700 for the thing. Looking back, I should have kept it because they still come up on eBay from time to time and sell from anywhere from $200 (needs repair) - $500 (NOS). I was seriously thinking about getting one again and running the phone>>>FM Transmitter>>>tape deck setup, but I just couldn't bring myself to drop $500 on old stereo tech - which sucks because these things are so damn cool. The analog stereo dial is round like a clock face instead of linear like most analog tuners and the dial lights up orange and the numbers light up this really cool aqua blue color. The face is brushed aluminum. I can't think of a head unit cooler than these, modern or not. Here's what they look like:

Anyway, since my Blazer has already been cut (I do have 2X extra dash bezels, though) I got a Pioneer Bluetooth (no CD) head unit from Walmart for $50. I bought two 3.5" speakers for the front to go under the dash pad and two 4"X10" for the very back for a little over $50 new at my local pawn shop. They are those cheap BOSS Audio speakers. I also bought an Alpine amp model MVR-F300 to push them that will be going underneath the passenger seat.

My Blazer is just too far from "original condition" to worry about cutting a stereo hole now. It's had a color change to black, had the 305 and smog stuff yanked out in favor of a 350 and straight pipes, and the 10 bolt rear end that came with it swapped out for a 12 bolt from an '81 Suburban.

I would have preferred an all original truck, but since it's already been messed with it kinda gives you a "blank canvas" to work with and do some stuff you wouldn't normally do to an all-original ride.

mshawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10,jimmy,k10
Engine Size
Why? I've never understood this. Unless you are doing a full stock restore and everything has to be perfect. I don't see why it matters. Would it be a deal breaker when you were looking for a truck if they put in a MUCH BETTER radio and sound system?

Man I Would be bought that truck but, some idiot cut the dash and put in a CD deck. Said very few people ever. Lol

Guess I just don't get it. I could give zero ***** if the dash was cut or not. Because if mine wasn't cut(which it already is)I'd cut the MF myself without hesitation.

I'm not spending $300+ on a radio that fits in it uncut. When I can get a Kenwood deck with CD, mp3 CD, input for phone or other device,usb and Bluetooth with a remote for $100 brand new at Wal-Mart. Then you have money left for amp and speakers.

Guess it just matters how good of a sound system you want. I like a ******* loud one with plenty of clarity and bass but, that's just me. Lol
Thank so much for solving his problem!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128