swb to lwb bed interchange help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRCKISS

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
c/k10
Engine Size
i just purchased a 75 K10 LWB without a bed and my wife suggested she would like a SWB stepside bed, is it possible with out too much fabrication? or would i get luck and just be able to bolt it in? i found a SWB bed, i was just wanting the group ideas and opinions first

TIA

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
You have ot cut somewhere around 16" out of the frame of the longbed (just behind the cab) and another like 4" off the rear of the frame for the shortbed to fit.
Then you have to adjust your brake lines (hydraulic and parking) and driveshaft.
Wiring can be looped.
You'll also need 16 gallon fuel tank(s). But I don't think the fuel lines need to be adjusted.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
While scary to cut your truck in half, its actually a fairly easy job. If you look at my build thread, you can see where my 15yo did it with no experience with cars, tools, women, etc. and my neighbor and I welded it all up. Just don't rush it.

Rather than make your own or z the frame, buy the conversion brackets.

Metalox sells/ manufactures brackets and he has probably shortened more than anybody out there. He has videos for sale that walk you through it.
Other vendors are the brothers above, but I used the brackets from "Built by Brooks". You can find him on instagram. His brackets are longer, heavier and tie in to the front spring mount as well.

I believe the kits tell you to cut 6" off the rear of the frame to match the swb frame dimensions but you can cut less. I believe I only cut 5" as I want as much frame for protection as possible as my gas tank is mounted in back.