Swaping engine internals opinions, and does this look bad to you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Spend $1,000 minimum. Find a 350 that has a good block, turn the crank, get a valve job on the heads, order a stock cam and lifters, timing chain and gaskets and put it together yourself. That's about the only way to get a long lasting, decent power motor and save money. Save money all you can, used parts are fine, but certain things have to be done, or you will be disappointed with the end product. Doing it yourself is satisfying as well.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Machine shop isnt really an option for me. Nearest one to me, thatd maybe do it, is like 150 miles away, and I dont have that sorta money.

Have you asked them what it'd cost? I had a 350 crankshaft turned a couple years ago. They took 0.010" off the main and rod journals to clean it up. Cost me $150 with the undersized bearings. That did not include shipping, since the shop was local to me, but they are very competent and willing to ship. They do crankshafts from all over the country.

turn the crank

It really is the right thing to do. And you may not need to turn the rod journals either.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
numbers matching in squares is not a value thing. find a good running small block and keep the 305 in the garage for a future owner or better financial times.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
numbers matching in squares is not a value thing. find a good running small block and keep the 305 in the garage for a future owner or better financial times.
That was my original thought exactly

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I may have another option too.
My buddy has a really sweet 350 goodwrench crate engine in his service truck, that hes had for 10+ years and has been a greay engine. Its snappy, fires right up, runs great. He really wants to big block swap it. I have a big block he really really wants for it. Might ask him if hed be willing to trade one for one.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
If I had the money to buy a deuce and a half off of you, then you could build/buy any engine you wanted.
Haha.
I'm hopefully soon to sell my first one, and make some money back. My second one is way kice anyway, so win win.
And I may be buying a 3rd.... uh boy where does it end, lol

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Haha.
I'm hopefully soon to sell my first one, and make some money back. My second one is way kice anyway, so win win.
And I may be buying a 3rd.... uh boy where does it end, lol
I could really use one where I live, when the mud is bad, nothing moves, and one of those would get me out and in.
I might end up screwing up the road badly, but then again, it's so horrible already I don't think anybody would notice.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I could really use one where I live, when the mud is bad, nothing moves, and one of those would get me out and in.
I might end up screwing up the road badly, but then again, it's so horrible already I don't think anybody would notice.
I get that, my driveway is the same way when its rainy.
Whatcha need is a jeep... with a grader blade. Jeeps go anywhere, never get stuck, and if ya have a have an agrijeep, you can grade the road after you messed it up.
Oh yeah, I got one of them btw, lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You are going to have big problems trying to use the rods from the used engine. The pistons are press fit and probably not survive getting off and on the rods. If the pistons in your parts engine aren't trashed but I bet they are swap pistons and rods after you inspect the cylinder bores and hone them xheck the big ends of the rods make sure they still have cross hatch in them. Reground crank,all bearings an oil pump and new rings . It will last a while,probably ought to get a valve job while it's apart.Provided the cams good put a timing set in it. Lookie there you've about rebuilt it at that point. I think I'd just rebuild it. What I told you would get you by awhile but man that's so close labor wise to just doing it right

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
You are going to have big problems trying to use the rods from the used engine. The pistons are press fit and probably not survive getting off and on the rods. If the pistons in your parts engine aren't trashed but I bet they are swap pistons and rods after you inspect the cylinder bores and hone them xheck the big ends of the rods make sure they still have cross hatch in them. Reground crank,all bearings an oil pump and new rings . It will last a while,probably ought to get a valve job while it's apart.Provided the cams good put a timing set in it. Lookie there you've about rebuilt it at that point. I think I'd just rebuild it. What I told you would get you by awhile but man that's so close labor wise to just doing it right
That's an old thread there. I gave up on that idea a long time ago, as I should've. My 86's 305 got oiled and wrapped in plastic for "someday". The other 305 went out in the junk pile where it belongs. Was useful for a few good parts, so it was worth the $50 I paid.

I since found a nice L98 350 out of an 85 Corvette that I spruced up and put in my truck. Much better engine. So that problem is solved.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My bad,sorry didn't notice it was old. And congrats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84