Stock TBI and Vortec heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I need to throw a motor together for the '88 Burb. I had grand plans to build a nice 4 bolt main, 383 roller motor with Vortec heads, but my builder engine was recently stolen. I just want to stick something in that makes a little power over stock and will last at least a couple more years.

I'd like to put together a basic 350 with stock TBI cam, Vortec heads, a basic 4bbl intake and an adapter to run a stock TBI. I'd like to run a 454 TBI with the 350 injectors in it. Mostly because my 350 TBI is shot and I've got a couple nice 454 units. Will the thing run OK with the stock tuning or will I run into issues? I just want to keep it simple, there's too many other projects going on right now and I want the Burb reliable again. If the Vortec heads won't work with stock tuning, I guess swirl ports will have to do.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Why not grab Biff's out of his '89? It runs pretty well and would be an easy swap :)

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You would need it tuned to run vortecs. Runs like **** till 2000 rpm if not. runs way lean and timing goes all over the place.
Greasedog knows this first hand.
The 454 TB will be a good boost, even for swirlies. Big thing with any sbc head is a mild porting job to the exhaust side. A full head port job is always best though, especially if things are kept conservative on the intake side....maybe just polishing.

Another good piece is a TBi performer manifold if you have the means to get one, and port it for the bigger TB. If you compare the stockmto the Eddy, you will notice how the intake runner kinda reach out in a smooth curve to each port, where the Stock intake does all kindsa wierd ****, most pronounced on the front where 3 and 2 are fed...kinda like a slanted T.
The other thing to watch out for, is the throttle linkage on the bigger TB if you are running a 700 r4. may be worth $25 or so having bushings done and have them throw in the 350 throttle shaft.
I seem to remember FAST305 on FSC getting 300 hp from swirlies...lemme see iffin Mys can find it.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is the performer TBI going to be any better than just running a decent 4bbl intake with an adapter?

I haven't actually looked to see what's involved in modifying the TB linkage for use with the 700r4, but I can probably weld something up in a jiffy.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Is the performer TBI going to be any better than just running a decent 4bbl intake with an adapter?

I haven't actually looked to see what's involved in modifying the TB linkage for use with the 700r4, but I can probably weld something up in a jiffy.

Imo, yes, the void under the adaptors have been known to cause dead spots, which companies like Howell have tuned for.
there are proper geometry kits for the TV, but i would just go ahead and swap shafts, they are both 3/8 for the sb and bb t bodies.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
You would need it tuned to run vortecs. Runs like **** till 2000 rpm if not. runs way lean and timing goes all over the place.
Greasedog knows this first hand.
The 454 TB will be a good boost, even for swirlies. Big thing with any sbc head is a mild porting job to the exhaust side. A full head port job is always best though, especially if things are kept conservative on the intake side....maybe just polishing.

454 tbi, performer rpm intake, Vortec heads,and a good tune. Skip the flat tappet cam, and go for the Vortec roller cam. Youwill love it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
454 tbi, performer rpm intake, Vortec heads,and a good tune. Skip the flat tappet cam, and go for the Vortec roller cam. Youwill love it.

Did you finally get your tune figured out?

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Did you finally get your tune figured out?

No, it's been parked since September. Bought my Taurus since I drive over 100 miles a day to and from work now. Needs a flexplate, and if I come across a deal on a set of front lead springs for a square, I'm going to straight axle it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
No, it's been parked since September. Bought my Taurus since I drive over 100 miles a day to and from work now. Needs a flexplate, and if I come across a deal on a set of front lead springs for a square, I'm going to straight axle it.

Saweet..BTW, welcome back, you must be workng your ass off.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Saweet..BTW, welcome back, you must be workng your ass off.

Thanks. And yes I have been extremely busy. Started working at a Ford dealership in sept as a parts manager, despite zero Ford parts experience. Flying totally by the seat of my pants 95% of the time. Had to purge a lot of inventory, including over $10k in aftermarket parts, as well as removing the core parts and used parts off the shelf (mixed with new parts), and take an accurate inventory, accounting for everything on the shelf. A month in, we fired my "help" after several instances where he went home and fell asleep, not returning until I called and woke him up. Hired a new guy who is awesome, though zero Ford parts experience, but tons of GM. Shortly after fired the service manager after he told one customer that if she didn't have her brakes done, she was going to kill her children, and told a racist joke to another customer. I got put on service desk, and am currently doing both, while shooting for the now vacant service manager position. Last month we made money for the first time in the 2 years since the company bought the dealership, and I've got every tech in the shop on board with me. Must be doing something right.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks. And yes I have been extremely busy. Started working at a Ford dealership in sept as a parts manager, despite zero Ford parts experience. Flying totally by the seat of my pants 95% of the time. Had to purge a lot of inventory, including over $10k in aftermarket parts, as well as removing the core parts and used parts off the shelf (mixed with new parts), and take an accurate inventory, accounting for everything on the shelf. A month in, we fired my "help" after several instances where he went home and fell asleep, not returning until I called and woke him up. Hired a new guy who is awesome, though zero Ford parts experience, but tons of GM. Shortly after fired the service manager after he told one customer that if she didn't have her brakes done, she was going to kill her children, and told a racist joke to another customer. I got put on service desk, and am currently doing both, while shooting for the now vacant service manager position. Last month we made money for the first time in the 2 years since the company bought the dealership, and I've got every tech in the shop on board with me. Must be doing something right.

Good to hear your doing well...I have had my ear to the rails for dealership positions. Both Ford and GM parts experience...nada.:manos:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Its not really as complicated as you would think. Ford actually has a decent system of organizing parts. Every part has a 3 part part number. F65Z-9092-B for example... F65Z says it's an F150 part from what I understand, 9092 tells you what kind of part it is (in this case a fuel tank strap), and the B denotes the revision.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Its not really as complicated as you would think. Ford actually has a decent system of organizing parts. Every part has a 3 part part number. F65Z-9092-B for example... F65Z says it's an F150 part from what I understand, 9092 tells you what kind of part it is (in this case a fuel tank strap), and the B denotes the revision.

yup, iirc, the F6 means 1996.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Actually that particular part is part of a recall for 97+ trucks