Stimulus Check, Header Nightmare and Regrets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You say direct, was there another? I must've not qualified if there was lmao

Unemployment supplement was the other. The ethanol plant I work for shut down in early April thanks to OPEC, I just went back last week. Was furloughed and had to take unemployment during that time. Loss of demand for gas kept it shut down as long as it was. Plant isn't even running yet, but we are prepping to restart in August.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Unemployment supplement was the other. The ethanol plant I work for shut down in early April thanks to OPEC, I just went back last week. Was furloughed and had to take unemployment during that time. Loss of demand for gas kept it shut down as long as it was. Plant isn't even running yet, but we are prepping to restart in August.

Oh right.
I followed along with the "free money" story on the 2nd check maybe.... 2 or so months ago? Then never checked back again. Figured at some point maybe I'd see a jump in the bank account, and if not, whatever.

I'm not loaded with money or anything, it's not like I "wouldn't have noticed" I just hadn't stayed current with the latest updates on their second "relief"

Thankfully I'm blessed to be buried in work this entire time with dad at our shop.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
No check for my wife or myself. We’ve been stimulating the economy though. No regrets so far. Been getting toys for the property and business.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
First, I would like to say my truck ran fine with stock exhaust manifolds and I was happy with them…….Then I got my stimulus check. For some reason the money started burning a hole in my pocket and I needed to buy something for my 1975 Chevy Stepside. I decided to get some headers. Due to being lowered, I went with the mid length so I wouldn’t bottom out and scrape over speed bumps, etc. I got the Hedman Street Headers. They came with a temporary coating that I had to media blast to remove. I thought I was saving a couple hundred by not getting the ceramic coated. All the time and work to remove the coating and clean and paint with VHT flameproof ceramic paint, I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought the ceramic coated ones .
Upon test fitting them, I found they were made for the turbo 350 trans. I had to trim about ½” off my 700R4 case for clearance (ball and socket type headers). After installation, I found I had to change to “shorty” plugs due to the clearance. I also used the plug wire sheaths to protect the plug wires from getting burnt. I didn’t care for the look of the sheaths and chose to get the under header Moroso wires. They are 8.5mm covered the entire length with heat sheathing making them 9.8mm thick. I could only find one wire loom capable of fitting this thick of plug wire. Next came the starter. The solenoid was too close to the header (heat wise) so I had to put the Powermaster 9100 (I heard about on this forum) so I could “clock” the starter to move it farther away from the header. It has been like dominos, one thing after another. I’m now wishing I would have just kept my stock manifolds, with stock spark plugs and wires and spent my stimulus check on something else for my 75 Stepside. What a nightmare!

What has everyone else spent their stimulus checks on and does anyone else have any regrets?

Long tube headers....had to chop and modify my exhaust system etc.... excessive heat, rust ( I also saved a few bucks with not buying ceramic coated ones :banghead:) and I had to re-torque the bolts every 300 miles because the headers started to leak.
Now I'm back to ported stock manifolds and happy with them. Don't know why I thought that I need headers.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
If you are going to run headers here is one small mod i recommend to prevent header leaks on exhaust ports. Cut the supporting flange between the ports so the header has less chance to leak.
You must be registered for see images attach

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I did that. Still leaked' but less. I think the headers hated me.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
These seem to work so far, no problem with fit and I’m using the same plugs and wires. I guess time will tell but if these don’t work I’ll go to cast manifolds. I’ve got about 300 miles on these now with the old exhaust temporarily cobbled in so I had mufflers.

PS-I don’t recommend you put the muffler within an inch of your electric fuel pump. You will have problems. Thankfully I’ll have a new exhaust system tomorrow!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
The 84 has headers on it, had a Blazer with them. When the funky bolt thingies would come loose I throw them away and use a 11/2 by 3/8 bolt with a nut on it, screw the bolt into the head,as far as it would go then back the nut down and tighten the shiznic out of it against the header. Never had one of these back off?

Far as the government check, First Treasury check I ever cashed and spent it all on domestic beer and cigarettes. No regrets.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I haven't spent my stimulus yet.
It just sits in the bank.

But soon I will be redoing the whole exhaust on the pickup truck.
That will include new headers for the big block.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
These seem to work so far, no problem with fit and I’m using the same plugs and wires. I guess time will tell but if these don’t work I’ll go to cast manifolds. I’ve got about 300 miles on these now with the old exhaust temporarily cobbled in so I had mufflers.

PS-I don’t recommend you put the muffler within an inch of your electric fuel pump. You will have problems. Thankfully I’ll have a new exhaust system tomorrow!

Those headers look nice. The plugs and wires look like you have easy access. What brand are those and are they full or mid length? thanks,

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Those headers look nice. The plugs and wires look like you have easy access. What brand are those and are they full or mid length? thanks,
His will be different than yours as his is a big block.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The headers I put on my 76 coming up on 2 years ago (that were already used and old when I got them) still are working good and haven't given me any troubles, got them for a good price too. A case of Natural Light. The Rustoleum white BBQ paint has been holding up good too.

Didn't get a stimulus check either.
Your old enough right? Can your parents claim you as a dependent? Did you go into the website and fill out your info? Or do you make more than what's the cutoff for nothing at all like 90k or something?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oh right.
I followed along with the "free money" story on the 2nd check maybe.... 2 or so months ago? Then never checked back again. Figured at some point maybe I'd see a jump in the bank account, and if not, whatever.

I'm not loaded with money or anything, it's not like I "wouldn't have noticed" I just hadn't stayed current with the latest updates on their second "relief"

Thankfully I'm blessed to be buried in work this entire time with dad at our shop.
The second one is in the works. It sounds as if there will be a second round of checks. As of right now it's written to be the same amount as the first one. At least the senates version they just sent back to the house.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Your old enough right? Can your parents claim you as a dependent? Did you go into the website and fill out your info? Or do you make more than what's the cutoff for nothing at all like 90k or something?

First relief check is for any dependent of any age you claim

I believe the guys 18 or 19.
His parents may claim him.....

BUT...

I just assumed he made the big bucks lol

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins

Still claimed as a dependent, parents got the extra bread in theirs because of me. While it would have been nice to get that extra $$, I'm not too concerned about it, I keep the mindset of no such thing as a free lunch, there is ALWAYS a catch to these "Free" things in life, even if not immediate.

Haven't reached the point in life yet where I'm above the cutoff... although at 19 I still have some time ahead of me yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35