Stimulus Check, Header Nightmare and Regrets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
First, I would like to say my truck ran fine with stock exhaust manifolds and I was happy with them…….Then I got my stimulus check. For some reason the money started burning a hole in my pocket and I needed to buy something for my 1975 Chevy Stepside. I decided to get some headers. Due to being lowered, I went with the mid length so I wouldn’t bottom out and scrape over speed bumps, etc. I got the Hedman Street Headers. They came with a temporary coating that I had to media blast to remove. I thought I was saving a couple hundred by not getting the ceramic coated. All the time and work to remove the coating and clean and paint with VHT flameproof ceramic paint, I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought the ceramic coated ones .
Upon test fitting them, I found they were made for the turbo 350 trans. I had to trim about ½” off my 700R4 case for clearance (ball and socket type headers). After installation, I found I had to change to “shorty” plugs due to the clearance. I also used the plug wire sheaths to protect the plug wires from getting burnt. I didn’t care for the look of the sheaths and chose to get the under header Moroso wires. They are 8.5mm covered the entire length with heat sheathing making them 9.8mm thick. I could only find one wire loom capable of fitting this thick of plug wire. Next came the starter. The solenoid was too close to the header (heat wise) so I had to put the Powermaster 9100 (I heard about on this forum) so I could “clock” the starter to move it farther away from the header. It has been like dominos, one thing after another. I’m now wishing I would have just kept my stock manifolds, with stock spark plugs and wires and spent my stimulus check on something else for my 75 Stepside. What a nightmare!

What has everyone else spent their stimulus checks on and does anyone else have any regrets?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I spent mine plus money I had in the bank on a grizzly locker, a set of 1 tons. 39.5 boggers, hydraulic assist, and all the raw materials for me to fabricate and machine the necessary components to solid axle swap my s10 in UNDER a collective 40 hour week.

As my little caption reads below my name

"Sometimes money isn't an issue, sometimes it is. Sometimes time isnt an issue, sometimes it is. Never at the same time do they align where they both aren't an issue."

When I have time, and when I have plenty of money, I can get ALOT of **** done in a short span of time. Lol

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First, I would like to say my truck ran fine with stock exhaust manifolds and I was happy with them…….Then I got my stimulus check. For some reason the money started burning a hole in my pocket and I needed to buy something for my 1975 Chevy Stepside. I decided to get some headers. Due to being lowered, I went with the mid length so I wouldn’t bottom out and scrape over speed bumps, etc. I got the Hedman Street Headers. They came with a temporary coating that I had to media blast to remove. I thought I was saving a couple hundred by not getting the ceramic coated. All the time and work to remove the coating and clean and paint with VHT flameproof ceramic paint, I wish I would have spent the extra money and bought the ceramic coated ones .
Upon test fitting them, I found they were made for the turbo 350 trans. I had to trim about ½” off my 700R4 case for clearance (ball and socket type headers). After installation, I found I had to change to “shorty” plugs due to the clearance. I also used the plug wire sheaths to protect the plug wires from getting burnt. I didn’t care for the look of the sheaths and chose to get the under header Moroso wires. They are 8.5mm covered the entire length with heat sheathing making them 9.8mm thick. I could only find one wire loom capable of fitting this thick of plug wire. Next came the starter. The solenoid was too close to the header (heat wise) so I had to put the Powermaster 9100 (I heard about on this forum) so I could “clock” the starter to move it farther away from the header. It has been like dominos, one thing after another. I’m now wishing I would have just kept my stock manifolds, with stock spark plugs and wires and spent my stimulus check on something else for my 75 Stepside. What a nightmare!

What has everyone else spent their stimulus checks on and does anyone else have any regrets?
I sense your pain This is why I turned against headers long ago.I get a lot of flack about it but I never have to worry with anything with stock manifolds.Sure, they can heat crack but it's never happened to me and would still rather deal with that than go thru what others do for a little better performance is all.Imho

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
I sense your pain This is why I turned against headers long ago.I get a lot of flack about it but I never have to worry with anything with stock manifolds.Sure, they can heat crack but it's never happened to me and would still rather deal with that than go thru what others do for a little better performance is all.Imho

I may be going back to stock manifolds. I'll probably get them jet-hot coated prior to reinstalling them. We'll see how it goes. It's been a lot of work and money so far but I don't feel it was worth it.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
I paid bills and bought groceries with mine and what ever was left of it i filled my propane tank so i will be set for the fall and winter.
Only thing my square needs is gas to be $1 per gallon so i could afford to drive it everyday.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
I may be going back to stock manifolds. I'll probably get them jet-hot coated prior to reinstalling them. We'll see how it goes. It's been a lot of work and money so far but I don't feel it was worth it.
Ramhorn manifolds are good but i recommend straight boot plug wires with them.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Well you might be in luck. Looks like we're going to get a second round of stimulus checks, so you can do something else or do it over.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What do you mean, your not 10mph faster or 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile or feel that seat of the pants HP boost from the headers?:Big Laugh:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome to the wonderful world of headers. It's even more fun with Vortec or aftermarket heads with raised exhaust ports!

All for little to no seat-of-the-pants gains on even a mildly modified engine.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's also called going down the rabbit hole.

I put my check in my kids college account. Poor kid is the one thats gonna have to pay for it down the road. And what's the government's solution? Let's borrow more money from China and do it again. This is a level of stupid I didn't know existed.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
The headers I put on my 76 coming up on 2 years ago (that were already used and old when I got them) still are working good and haven't given me any troubles, got them for a good price too. A case of Natural Light. The Rustoleum white BBQ paint has been holding up good too.

Didn't get a stimulus check either.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Really had no clue what else to spend the stupid stimulus check on, I'm not in any sort of incredible debt because everything is paid in full generally. :smoke2:

It all went back to either American mfg or small businesses in the US :hmm:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I legitimately forgot about the direct stimulus check...

You say direct, was there another? I must've not qualified if there was lmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL