starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 mudder

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
hey guys i got a good one for you... i got a 79 gmc sierra 2wd i just put a engine in and now im hooking up the starter.. no wires are connected to it besides the power from the battery and when i connect the two terminals on the starter with a screw driver it doesnt turn over but the radio turns on??? no wires are connected besides the power from the battery any ideas????

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Little confusing, you say one wire from the battery but you have two terminals?

78 mudder

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
the terminals off the starter. theres the big one and then two small ones. the power wire is only connected to the big terminal and there is no other wires. when i take a screw driver and connect the big terminal to the smaller terminal off the starter the radio goes on and the starter does not turn over.. sorry i was in a hurry before and could clarify it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The black lead and both of the red wires go on the same post (the big one).

The black is hot from the battery, the reds are in contact with it and are lead off to various components (the alternator, lights, ignition switch, etc.).

The switched side of the start position contacts (on the ignition switch) is a purple wire. That is what provides power to the solenoid when the key is turned. It needs to be connected to the "S" terminal.

It has to be down there somewhere - near the starter (look for the end of the wiring harness loom that crosses over the bell housing of the transmission).

The fact that the radio is playing is normal & expected -there is power supplied to that circuit by the dual red wire pair.

If you want to crank the starter over with a screw driver, it is necessary to jump from the big stud (the one with the one black and 2 reds) to the "S" terminal.

Attachments

• Copy of 2 81-87V8_engine.jpg
    Copy of 2 81-87V8_engine.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barnabyjo