Speaker Locations in Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hoping you guys can answer my question. My '79 has the original center mount speaker. I am thinking about upgrading the audio system and am looking to at least go to dual speakers. My question is, will my dash have the speaker holes that are used for the factory dual speaker system? If it does I realize the mounts are most likely not there. And will a 6x9 speaker fit in the center position? My truck is not here at my house, and I would not pull my dash apart just to look around anyway.

Thinking about going to a retro looking head unit that I see floating around at the resto companies, and going with 3.5's at the outer positions of the dash, and maybe a 6x9 "sub" in the center position. Not even sure if all this will work, just in the planning stages now. Anything will be better than my original mono center speaker.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No the dual speaker holes are not it the 73-79 dash structure. Not sure about the 80 model. The center speaker if I remember correctly is 4X6 and there does not look like there is enough room to cut the dash to fit a 6X9. I think LMC makes a dual cone speaker that will fit the 73-79 center section. Part number 38-8517

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=118

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I dont remember the original speaker dimensions, but lmc has a plate(and so do other places) That let you bolt to 3.5's to the plate. So youll have 2 speakers in the center hole.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks guys. New game plan, sounds like what I described is out of the picture. Maybe an upgrade of some sort for the center speaker and a couple 6x9's or something behind the seat. I don't know. Maybe I will wait and do this very last in my restification process.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The original speaker size is 4X10 and harder to find now. I bolted two 4 inch speakers together and mounted them in the center opening. It works well and was cheaper that those conversion plate speakers with crappy materials.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
yea its 4x10, a 6x9 could fit with dash trimming, youd have to be sure there is enough depth though, ive played around with the idea of a center speaker/sub myself. i wouldnt do dual 3.5s tho. you might could cut a hole for the dual speakers if the dash is the same spec as the 81+ trucks, just without holes. could you post pics of the dash with dash pad removed? that would help

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for more replies guys. I like idea of two 4"ers together. I could almost do that now with my stock radio. That would have to be an upgrade from what I have now.

I don't have the dash pad out of my truck so unfortunately I can not post pictures. I can say however that I am not going to touch my dash and alter it in anyway. So that means cutting holes for duals and trimming the center area are out. Audio is not important enough to me to do that.

Thank you for the ideas guys! I like the brainstorming and planning stages just as much (sometimes more!) as the execution and finished product.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Post pics when you finish!

Don't hold your breath on them! I am just in the brainstorming process now.

I did see those brackets a couple of you bought to put 6x9's behind the seat. Are you going to have to drill holes to use those? Just curious. Any body got good pictures of them installed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe