80' K10 sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pillar

Reaction score
First Name
Pillar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 sbc
Looking for advice on the audio system for an 80' Custom Deluxe K10. Currently has no head unit and only the one speaker under the middle of the dash.

I'd like something that is loud and very clear sounding, but not obnoxiously loud.

I have almost zero audio experience so I'm looking for two answers here.

1- What do I need for a good, clear sounding sound system without breaking the bank?

2- Where is the best place to learn to install said audio system?

Thank you in advance for the knowledge and help.

Pillar

Reaction score
First Name
Pillar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 sbc
1.How big is the bank?
2. Subscribe to Car Audio Fabrication on Youtube.
I'd like to not go over $500 if possible, but if I have to I can always just wait longer to have a decent audio set up.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You can make some noise for that. What do you have currently?
EDIT: My bad, you said that in your initial post.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I started out like you. $500 didn't get me far. It's addictive. You've been warned.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd like to not go over $500 if possible, but if I have to I can always just wait longer to have a decent audio set up.
Buy the best Head unit you can. Consider the newer units that are basically just a tuner unless you want a CD player option. You can bluetooth your inputs thru that. Run that to a decent 2 channel amp. A pair of 3-1/2 dash speakers and 6x9's behind the seat. This will give you an ok noise maker.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
You can certainly get above average audio quality for under $500.

I bought this Bluetooth receiver from Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HRG75NV/. I split the power from the original radio and placed the receiver in the glovebox, so the stock radio still shows the time but is not hooked up to any speakers and the receiver is hidden.

I bought a 4x10 speaker made by RetroSound to go into the dash where the original speaker sat. It gets plenty loud (even when I was running without any carpet and watching the pavement roll by under my feet through the rust holes in the floor) but lacks low end if that's what you're in to. I think I am going to upgrade to this option soon: https://www.classiccarstereos.com/k...MIgdbTqYXzgAMVLUVyCh1aSQoIEAQYASABEgJBOPD_BwE.

The bluetooth receiver has a built in amp and three channels - left, right and sub. At first I bought 6.5" inch speakers to put in the cab corners, but then I went with an 8" sub in a truck box and put it behind the seat. The amp underpowers it, but it works fine. Even being underpowered, this combo gets plenty loud and is clear enough for my liking.

Another option I considered is: 1973-1979 Chevy Trucks w/ AC Kick Panel Speakers - Empty and buy speakers, or https://www.classiccarstereos.com/j...anels-with-ac-65-80-watts-pair.html?rrec=true with the speakers already included.

The key is to get more power to your speakers. You need a new amp to do this. The receiver linked above has a relatively small built in amp. There are other options where the amp is larger. This level of amplification was fine for my application, but in retrospect, I should've gotten of of the the larger amps in case I wanted to upgrade in the future. I will probably do that if I get the kicker in dash speaker. The good news is they're only $30-50.

If you want other capabilities, though, you would have to buy a head unit. Most of them have built in amps that would be sufficient to power aftermarket speakers, but not a sub.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Are there already any holes cut in the doors or kick panels?

If not, @SquareRoot recommendation is pretty solid.

If you do put whatever size speaker fits the hole & skip the dash speakers.

Is the dash already cut for a "DIN" size head unit?

I'm a big fan of Crutchfield for home & Car audio, they don't always have the absolute cheapest price but their customer service is top notch.

I just went through the website and quickly selected a pile of parts that would make up a very decent set up, total was $712

Alpine head unit $119
Kicker 6x9 silk tweeter (150 amp) $159
Kicker 6 1/2 component silk tweeter (100 amp) $152
JL 4 channel amp 75 watt per $279

These were just after two minutes of shopping, with some more time to shop & review products a similar set up could be had for closer to your budget. Just switching to a Jensen amp cuts the price over $100.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@Pillar , welcome and may we chime in. Easton did his complete system from amazon for $1K. If you forget the amp you can do the same thing. It is really easy. YouTube is a great tool and I have no stereo background and his system came out rocking..

Randy and Easton

Attachments

• IMG_9889.jpeg
    IMG_9889.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_9890.jpeg
    IMG_9890.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9892.jpeg
    IMG_9892.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9906.jpeg
    IMG_9906.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1344.jpeg
    IMG_1344.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 117

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
head unit (with a good equalizer built in), sub, sub amp, rear JBL components (maybe amp for components or put that $ into dash speakers and run the front and/or rear off the head unit).

In your head unit, it should have a filter setting to not send bass to all the speakers, but just to the sub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1