Looking for speaker recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
Looking for some fairly cheap but decent sounding surface mount speakers...

I like the concept of the driver and the passenger having a pair of speakers for each. mounted on the ceiling on either side of the head, but the packages for that are ridiculously expensive...

attachment.php

I don't like the 'bracket mount' types either.. looking for something smaller..

My truck is the kind that had no headliner, so there is space to snake wires between the inside surface and the outside surface, and surface mount individual speakers.... I could make little round angled boxes for them out of wood or ABS, but would be nice if something came with them...

Nobody lists the actual dimensions of their speakers and enclosures so it's really hard shopping on line...

I'm reaching old age now.. I started out listening to rock real loud, when into the marines and worked/slept around jet engines, then went into heavy construction and in my free time was in a rock band and owned a couple of failed project recording studios and a live sound business for a while.. Back into the guitar thing again, shoot sometimes without hearing protection, etc..

Moral of the story, my high range hearing is not that great so I'm not needing speakers with great high end either... More interested in lack of distortion general.. and 'low cost'

Might add a low power sub sometime in the future (but not the kind that makes your neighbors think you are circling their house with war drums)...

So basically, a 4" or less co-ax or tri-ax speaker that can handle enough power to make an old deaf guy hear them, maybe even when cranked a little when something touches my soul (but obviously can't crank them too loud when they are that close to the head), cost on the low end, and are 'rugged'

I listen to everything from heavy metal, to classic rock, contemporary Country, contemporary Christian, Blues, and even some classical from time to time..... (Pretty much loathe Rap, so I don't need it to handle the sub-harmonic lows quite that extreme)

Everything I search for is mostly intended for marine use, and the focus is more on waterproof than anything else..

The 'shelf it' idea from LMC is kinda interesting.. I could probably build that.. and then put something up there, but i don't know how much room it really provides or if it becomes something that blocks vision at all.. Anyone used it?

attachment.php

Would love to see some of your custom solutions for this, and also your reviews on some lower end speakers that might fit the bill...

Attachments

• LMC - Shelf it.jpg
    LMC - Shelf it.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 462
  • LMC - chevy headliner with built in speakers.jpg
    LMC - chevy headliner with built in speakers.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Alpine - E are low price type R are the best.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
A few options:

1. replace stock speakers
2. Install speakers on the kick panels (make your own or buy them. Google diy kick panel speaker and you should come up with how to make your own)
3. Build a set like I did that mount to the existing holes at the bottom of the door. They are slightly up. You can build a set for under $20 and have fiberglass resin left over. After hunting this year, I did notice that with larger boots on you have to take care getting out. Also my leg rests against it while driving, which could get annoying on a long trip. It sticks out too much basically.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10299

4. I had speakers on the sides center console I had in the camaro.
5. Make your dash speakers mids, and mount tweeters (for highs) in the column with a custom made cover (fiberglass again....google column speakers or gauges for guides). .
6. Someone recently built a multilayered panel that goes in place of the bottom carpet on the door. It looked really nice

Just a few options.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I haven't fully decided what I want to do with mine, but I'm thinking I want to do kick pods in the front to hold 6.5'' speakers. I was gonna either get a 4x10 to 4'' adapter for the rears or see if I can adapt something bigger back there. 6.5" would be a dream come true, but I'd do 6x9's if that was the best that was feasible. Also, there's the speaker hole in the middle of the dash that I think is 6x9 so I'd like to try a 6x9 to 6.5'' adapter there if I could. Might have to mount it under the dash so the pad will sit flush. Going that way I'll have five speakers, and I'll have to amp the Delco 2700 for the five to work. In my Caprice, I threw two new 4" speakers in the front (using adapters), two new 6.5" speakers in the rear, and my head unit is a currently unamplified Delco 2000 ETR. I adjusted the equalizer down just a hair, and I get a lot of volume and satisfactory sound for a thirty year old radio. What kind of head unit are you using? If you're using the stock AM or stock AM/FM unit, I'd consider having it adapter for an AUX input, but if you want something a tad nicer while still keeping the look, you could find a newer Delco 2700 or 2700 ETR. They make aftermarket radios now that fit in the factory slot and look decent, as well, but they don't look that factory to me. You also have a bunch of single DIN aftermarket HU's out there, which a lot of people cut their dash and do that.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
In my 79 I'm running 6x9's in the bottom front doors under the wing windows (manual windows) and 6x9's in the rear cab corners using these brackets.
http://73-87.com/Parts/7387SpeakerBrackets/73-87%20Cab%20Corner%20Speaker%20Brackets.htm

I wanted a little more for highs to fill the front, so in the center dash location, I fabbed up a bracket to hold two 1" tweeters. I then angled thoses speakers towards the corresponding rear cab corners. I don't think I spent more than $375 for the whole system with the deck. I'm not running an amp, only a high powered deck.

I don't recall if you have power windows, but I know way back in 1989 I had an 87 K20 with power windows. I installed similar 6x9 adapters in the rear cab corners, but I was limited to only 6" round speakers in the very front of the bottom of the door due to the power window mechanicals.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
If you are looking for cheap, decent speakers try Jensen. I have a set of 4 Jensen 6.5s in my Durango. They have been there for damn near 8 years and still rock strong, often on full blast out of a Sony head unit. They are very clear, have lots of range, and are pretty cheap. I forget what they are actually called, but they were Walmart off-the-shelf speakers. I plan to get more for the truck too.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
I'm really trying to do something where the driver and the passenger each have a pair of speakers on either side of the head...

Trying to stay away from kick panels, door bottoms, etc, where half the sound is absorbed by legs clothing, carpeting, seats, etc...

Probably have to make something myself... Because that 350 dollar deal is just too much for what it is...

Who knows, maybe I'll come up with something I can make and sell? ;)

Kasey 1977 K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You may want to consult an established stereo installer. I had considered doing something similar but when you have speakers on the left and right for each passenger they can end up canceling each other out and you get less benefit than what you would expect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey