Softer motor mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
THe other clue that they are the OEM mufflers is that the heat shields were over the top of them bolted to the frame. I had to remove them to get to the bed bolts. I also put them back on too after the bed install. Hard to believe the mufflers are in that good of condition after 27 years. Of course there isn't any rust on this truck anywhere. The original owner lived on a dirt/gravel road in AR. Mud and dirt must have applied a nice protective coating is all I can think of.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
THe other clue that they are the OEM mufflers is that the heat shields were over the top of them bolted to the frame. I had to remove them to get to the bed bolts. I also put them back on too after the bed install. Hard to believe the mufflers are in that good of condition after 27 years. Of course there isn't any rust on this truck anywhere. The original owner lived on a dirt/gravel road in AR. Mud and dirt must have applied a nice protective coating is all I can think of.

Are they 2.5 in and 2 out? That`s what is listed on walker`s site.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That exhaust looks just like the setup on my Burb. The front pipes have head shields all the way around them too. It must be quality metal for it to last this long.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That exhaust looks just like the setup on my Burb. The front pipes have head shields all the way around them too. It must be quality metal for it to last this long.

Must be. And the pipes are even in good shape all the way back. I hope they stay in good shape too. I love the quiet exhaust and the performance is not bad and does not seem to be restrictive at all.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The only thing that bothers me is one tailpipe is lower than the other. Nothing is bent or twisted, I think it left the factory that way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are they 2.5 in and 2 out? That`s what is listed on walker`s site.

I beleive so. The pipe off the manifolds looks bigger than the tailpipe, so that seems to reason.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I beleive so. The pipe off the manifolds looks bigger than the tailpipe, so that seems to reason.

I should climb under there and see if I can fit a cat on the passenger side, if so, I may just get the whole shooting match for the 3/4 ton from walker. I am also on the fence on weather to keep the TPI, or swith to TBI, or just go back to the computerized quadrajet. I`m on the verge of doing some wild ****, just because of the rough idle. out of all, I think TBI is the shiznit.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just how rough is your idle? I don't see how ditching TPI would help.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
TBI FTFW.

:grd:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just how rough is your idle? I don't see how ditching TPI would help.

LOL! Neither do I, but I`m desperate! It FEELS like an ignition miss, but that and fuel have been ruled out, along with every other diagnostic procedure known to man for a rough Idle. I`ll try to make a video with a glass of water sitting on the TPI plenum, because I noticed in the Youtube video, that the engine appears to be idling just fine...it really wasnt.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You've probably already done this if it has one but if it's got an idle air control valve, clean it with carb & choke cleaner.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You've probably already done this if it has one but if it's got an idle air control valve, clean it with carb & choke cleaner.

Yup.....It has done it since the engine was new in 2001. I thought that going from carb to TPI would help, as they said it was my fuel system. Non of my datamaster logs show anything funky during Idle. Runs smoother when cold, with The BLM`s at 123. Just the ability to run duals is worth keeping the TPI, Heck, the dyno says my torque is at 406 Ft Lbs, which is another thing that screams "keep it!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithosman