Softer motor mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, I can`t figure out the factory secret to a silky smooth Idle, so I was wondering if anyone knows some softer mounts that would isolate engine vibrations a little better.
Anyone.......Anyone........Bueler.....bueler.....

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
can't say that i have ever heard of that, in fact have never thought of that either, maybe time to invent such a animal

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
can't say that i have ever heard of that, in fact have never thought of that either, maybe time to invent such a animal

Fluid filled would be nice....for the body mounts as well too. Friggin engine has always idled rough since new.....trying to diagnose it since 2001 when it was installed.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
what kind of mounts do you have in it now? new mounts? rubber or poly?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have no complaints from the mounts in any of mine, you can't usually even feel the motor running. You just hear the exhaust. Except on the '86 with stock exhaust, you have to turn the radio down and/or roll the window down to tell it's running. Or hit the gas, obviously.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have no complaints from the mounts in any of mine, you can't usually even feel the motor running. You just hear the exhaust. Except on the '86 with stock exhaust, you have to turn the radio down and/or roll the window down to tell it's running. Or hit the gas, obviously.

Could you post a vid of the stock exhaust? Is it OEM or has it been replaced?
i saw on an ol GM parts listing/graphic, that the original mufflers were round, and pointed over the axle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know how to post a vid, but it has the oem mufflers and they are the round ones. The tailpipes exit behind the wheels on opposite sides, when standing outside the truck, you just hear a mellow "burble burble" as it idles. There is absolutely nothing throaty about when you mash the throttle. Impressive for a big block I must say. The '79 on the other hand...

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I don't know how to post a vid, but it has the oem mufflers and they are the round ones. The tailpipes exit behind the wheels on opposite sides, when standing outside the truck, you just hear a mellow "burble burble" as it idles. There is absolutely nothing throaty about when you mash the throttle. Impressive for a big block I must say. The '79 on the other hand...

Mello is the key.....been there and done that with all that hot roddin crap.....stock is the fashizzle now!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There is a downside to the stock exhaust though. The squeaky belt and the clutch fan are more noticeable than normal... but it is very nice to have a quiet vehicle for a change. For years it was my goal to make things louder.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
There is a downside to the stock exhaust though. The squeaky belt and the clutch fan are more noticeable than normal... but it is very nice to have a quiet vehicle for a change. For years it was my goal to make things louder.

I have had vehicles with about every major muffler on the market, and even straight pipes....and i`m just done with it. The Burb is a family cruiser, and it tows pretty good when I need to get a 3500# load of rocks and flagstone for the wifey`s landscaping projects. But I like the girls to be able to take a nap, while we listen to the radio without having to turn it up. My dual inline Magnaflows do pretty good, But not good enough for me. I think that I am the only guy on this planet who is not bothered by the looks of the current suburban/tahoe exhaust with the resonator, and I think that I may try to incorporate that type of setup on my rig.....A large Turbo muffler as primary, and the resonator tucked up as much as possible, exiting from the corner of the bumper, only on the left side. Having had all types of Mufflers, as stated before, I really didnt notice much of a "Seat of the pants" difference in power over OEM or a walker quietflow, and maybe 1 mpg, I wont feel guilty at all about returning to a stock type system. And it will also give me the kick in the ass I need to get out there and work on quieting down my accessory drive as well!
As far as the Idle, I`m tryin to get a nice smooth 95 TBI from the showroom type idle, that doesn't shake the passenger seat at a stoplight....a quest that I have been on since the engine was replaced back in 01. It is the "86 Only" replacement, But I have 87-95 heads on it,and the next step up in cams....still the same ****** idle as before, but the Dealer said it was my carb setup that was causing the idle issue.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I tell you what, I sure like my exhaust on the 84 C20 that has the Fo Fitty Fo in it. I bought the truck the way it is. And it appears to be factory OEM exhaust to me. The mufflers are GM part #'s. I can't imagine someone would go back to the dealer to replace exhaust. The hangers also look OEM instead of aftermarket. But that truck runs so quit you don't even know its running when sitting at a light. Even going 80mph down the highway. With the wind noise you don't hear the motor at all. Only time that motor makes noise is when I nail the gas pedal and the secondaries to the carb open up and you hear nothing but that deep groan. I like the quiet exhaust. Only time I like loud or throaty exhaust, is if its a performance vehicle and its needed.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I tell you what, I sure like my exhaust on the 84 C20 that has the Fo Fitty Fo in it. I bought the truck the way it is. And it appears to be factory OEM exhaust to me. The mufflers are GM part #'s. I can't imagine someone would go back to the dealer to replace exhaust. The hangers also look OEM instead of aftermarket. But that truck runs so quit you don't even know its running when sitting at a light. Even going 80mph down the highway. With the wind noise you don't hear the motor at all. Only time that motor makes noise is when I nail the gas pedal and the secondaries to the carb open up and you hear nothing but that deep groan. I like the quiet exhaust. Only time I like loud or throaty exhaust, is if its a performance vehicle and its needed.

Are they big round ones, or oval?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado