Smog this beotch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You know on my 85K1500, it was origanlly a 6.2 Diesel. That is the truck I want to Recab with the 85C20 cab so I don't have to have the Cat on it and I have the title to it. I have the title to the 85K10 too, but its so far out of date and been signed by the original seller years ago, it would have to be Title 42'ed for $100. Then another $53 for the current tag and transfer to my name. So it woudl cost me $153, and sometimes I thnk I should go ahead and do it, cuz I also want to eventually move to AZ so its exempt. But I also think 85C20 being a 8600 GVWR shouldn't be that hard to pass, and no Cat is required either. So running a Non Cat vehicle with unleaded fuel and well tuned, it should pass easily especially if ran some Ehtanol fuel in the tank when I had it tested.
I've been told if i got the title to that 85K10 Diesel Cab, it woudl be worth a fortune in CA.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You know on my 85K1500, it was origanlly a 6.2 Diesel. That is the truck I want to Recab with the 85C20 cab so I don't have to have the Cat on it and I have the title to it. I have the title to the 85K10 too, but its so far out of date and been signed by the original seller years ago, it would have to be Title 42'ed for $100. Then another $53 for the current tag and transfer to my name. So it woudl cost me $153, and sometimes I thnk I should go ahead and do it, cuz I also want to eventually move to AZ so its exempt. But I also think 85C20 being a 8600 GVWR shouldn't be that hard to pass, and no Cat is required either. So running a Non Cat vehicle with unleaded fuel and well tuned, it should pass easily especially if ran some Ehtanol fuel in the tank when I had it tested.
I've been told if i got the title to that 85K10 Diesel Cab, it woudl be worth a fortune in CA.

My buddy with the race car said the same thing, in California the trucks with a diesel vin number went for a shitload of money. This is looking hopeless.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My buddy with the race car said the same thing, in California the trucks with a diesel vin number went for a shitload of money. This is looking hopeless.

Dammit, you sumbish Iman. Here ai was thinking of recabbing my 85 K10 with an 85 C20 cab that I have titla and current tags too, so I could consolidate from 4 projects to 3 projects, keeping my 84 C20 and the 2 4x4's. Now you're going to make me keep my 2 4x4's and my 2 C20's. I've thought of keeping the 85K10 Diesel cab and get it Titled 42'd incase I move to AZ or CA. I more than likley am going to end in AZ someday. I guess I need to check the laws in AZ and see if its worth paying the $100 for Title 42.

I guess what I could do, is put the 85C20 Cab on the 85K1500 truck. That way I can increase the GVWR and won't need Cats on the 85K1500.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey Jason, if have one, in your searches for your own info, if you have a link on the AZ DMV emmisisons laws, standards and requirmentsfor registration, can you post it here? I'd like to check out for my own use if I move. I'll need that info to help me decide if I want to start the Title 42 paperwork on this truck.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dammit, you sumbish Iman. Here ai was thinking of recabbing my 85 K10 with an 85 C20 cab that I have titla and current tags too, so I could consolidate from 4 projects to 3 projects, keeping my 84 C20 and the 2 4x4's. Now you're going to make me keep my 2 4x4's and my 2 C20's. I've thought of keeping the 85K10 Diesel cab and get it Titled 42'd incase I move to AZ or CA. I more than likley am going to end in AZ someday. I guess I need to check the laws in AZ and see if its worth paying the $100 for Title 42.

I guess what I could do, is put the 85C20 Cab on the 85K1500 truck. That way I can increase the GVWR and won't need Cats on the 85K1500.

The area you are looking at might not even require smog, I may have found my loop hole....

There is a partial outside exemption according to zip codes. The place my father in law just got outside of Tuscon is in one of those exempt zip codes. To qualify I have to show a utility bill of my residence and maybe a paycheck to prove I am not working in city limits and I will be exempt. I wonder if my in laws could make up a fake rental agreement and have that pass as a utility bill.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The area you are looking at might not even require smog, I may have found my loop hole....

There is a partial outside exemption according to zip codes. The place my father in law just got outside of Tuscon is in one of those exempt zip codes. To qualify I have to show a utility bill of my residence and maybe a paycheck to prove I am not working in city limits and I will be exempt. I wonder if my in laws could make up a fake rental agreement and have that pass as a utility bill.

There's a couple of cheap things you can do there. Usually, water bills are cheap. Ask them to do a transfer because they are renting the house out, then you put the water bill in your name. Drop 'em 150 or so to cover most of the year. That water bill with the lease agreement that you can buy from Office Depot should get you by.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
There ya go Imann.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Hey Jason, if have one, in your searches for your own info, if you have a link on the AZ DMV emmisisons laws, standards and requirmentsfor registration, can you post it here? I'd like to check out for my own use if I move. I'll need that info to help me decide if I want to start the Title 42 paperwork on this truck.

Right here Hotrod,

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/

I lucked out this time, any closer to Tuscon and I would not be driving the 85 for a while.

I was reading as much as I could find last night about smogging in Az, most of the reading was on forums like this that had peoples personal experiences. One guy said Arizona is alot less strict on older vehicles, this guy claims he had a 440 mopar with swirl port heads, mild cam and a double pumper carb and they passed it.

I could probably get my 85 too pass but like an idiot I got a brand spankin new intake with no EGR. Before all the reading I was convinced the only way it would pass was a complete stock configuration, according to what I have been reading there is guys passing with edelbrock manifolds and 1406 carbs.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I have a 305 with a valve train problem, the rings also seem to be **** since it smokes after its warmed up enough. Just to get the truck to run right i have changed over to a non EGR Edelbrock intake square bore style.

im curious how an intake without EGR helps a truck with valvetrain problems and bad rings? :confused:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
im curious how an intake without EGR helps a truck with valvetrain problems and bad rings? :confused:

The truck was vapor locking.

I decided to try a phenolic carb spacer to bring the Carb temperature down a little but I was running a spread bore to square bore adapter on my stock intake.

Instead of having a spacer on top of an adapter I just went for a new square bore intake. I should have got it with EGR but at the time I did not think you could use a 1406 to pass emissions, so if I was going to have to smog it I would be switching back to the stock intake anyways. That was a mistake big time.

Last edited:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
ah, that makes sense then. it didn't totally fix it, but it made it run better.

not that big of a mistake, there's probably someone out there who wants a non-EGR intake for their truck or car, and has an EGR version laying around. they're pretty common to find cheap at swap meets.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
ah, that makes sense then. it didn't totally fix it, but it made it run better.

not that big of a mistake, there's probably someone out there who wants a non-EGR intake for their truck or car, and has an EGR version laying around. they're pretty common to find cheap at swap meets.

Yeah it ran ALOT better, I am not sure about those adapters. I probably wont use another one. I talked to a guy in Reno who just put a 1406 on his 305 and said he had the same vapor-lock issues with the stock jetting. After the phenolic spacer it stopped vapor locking, I put a smaller diameter set of metering rods and now it runs great. For having so many problems its getting awesome mileage now.

I thought about trying to trade someone too, but according to the website I am smog exempt in the zip code I am moving to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06