Pulling all the smog stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I am for less pollution. I understand it'll never happen until the entire human population gets purged from the earth. However, if we all do our part to minimize our own pollution puking from our old vehicles, it adds up. I personally will be adding a catalytic converter to my non-cat-truck so it'll run cleaner.

But, we have a ton of people who don't see the forest for the trees, and sadly that will never change...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo You are right about that and nothing any of us say will change that. I have to admit I just went to dual exhaust on my truck, and until I get to the first of the month and get paid I'm having to run without a cat, but this is just a small two week gap and they will be back on.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
It's all right, everyone has to do them.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Sorry to say the reason china's air is so bad is not because no cc on cars. It's because 3 billion people cramed in the country and they burn tons of dirty coal every day and are building more plants every day. And if the governments of the world actually cared they would regulate them but they do not. Instead they give excuses of why they allow them to do it. India too. They call them "developing countries " which allows them to pollute all they want while paying a small fraction of what we do here in the US even tho our energy burns much much cleaner. Yet we pay the most into Paris climate accord.

Where's the incentive for them to clean it up? Trump actually was getting them to pay their fair share and was hated for it. So that should tell y'all where their priorities are. They couldn't care less about the environment. Why does our political parties have stock and family working for foreign energy? Thought they cared?

If they did they would ramp up us energy and clamp down on foreign energy. But they do the exact opposite. Why do y'all think that is? Pretty obvious to me. Cc help here but it's mainly that we use cleaner energy like LNG which is the cleanest next to nuclear (which they hate) and say is too dangerous. Give me a fcking break!

It's all a scam by the government in the guise of climate change to make them more rich and powerful. That's the bottom line! So instead of fighting among each other over this lay the blame where it actually belongs, at the governments feet.

I have bbc with Lt hedders true dual with NO cats on mine and won't be changing it. My truck doesn't bellow smoke when I drive it because I make sure it's running right. I don't think it's that big of a deal honestly. But if I saw y'all having an episode on the sidewalk I would stop and try to help. I can be a ***** but not that big of one not to try and help. Lol

Oh yeah, wonder why the big push for evs? Just found out old $hitty pants owns a part of a 3 billion dollar cobalt mine in... yup you guessed it, China. So if y'all think it's about cleaner air your fooling yourself. It's all a scam being pulled on all of us.

Gotta get off the crapper and get back to work. See y'all later.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
Wow this topic has stirred up the natives. My old truck didn't have a cat on it when I bought it. I don't think my one truck will make much of a difference in the Houston area. One chemical plant or refinery puts out more **** in a day then all of us on this forum and our families will pollute in our lifetimes. After reading your posts I may put dual cats on my truck. I'm guessing mounted to the header collectors might work. If you are using the original cats on your 30, 40, 50-year-old trucks and thinking that they are really scrubbing the exhaust, well you're pissing in the wind. If you have installed a modern cat then you get a gold star. Yes, the clean air act has benefitted all of us here in America and most of Europe. The rest of the world is a **** hole and they don't care about it. As the cities get bigger and bigger people do get less civilized to one another.
Like an old man told me years ago you can screw over a different person everyday in a big city, but only one person in a small town. I see the day when all personnel gas or diesel vehicle's will be banned. The band Rush has a song about it. The Red Barchetta. For now lets enjoy the ride! What times we are living in :cool:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
For me, it's because of the bad smelling exhaust, I want to clean it up. It doesn't matter how the engine is tuned, the exhaust stinks, bad. I will be adding a cat the Crusty Biscuit, too, when I get that truck running again for the same reasons.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Please don't join the LS camp, they don't make these trucks anymore let's not ruin them all.

If I could have a TBI that actually came close to LS stats, I'd stick with the TBI. Cause why not, it will be cheaper. But with the LS you get what; 110 more hp before you do any modifications? The LS can be 380 hp and still seem like it's a stock engine in terms of road manners. I'm not one for all that jiggling and loud racket.

To make a TBI 350 do 380 hp, now you're into "annoyance" territory. If anyone knows how to do it while keeping the road manners totally stock I'm all ears.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
man this makes me want to fire up ol Smokey 77 oil burning rat fer a truck 70 miles or so 2 quarts oil . i dont bother changing that oil i just add the stuff ive saved from other oil changes :party52:HAHA,,, humm maybe i should change the filter :driver:,,,, naaaa its still good ..:favorites37:..this should tick off a few libs tree huggers ect. i sure miss my big rig 3406 cat pumped way up,18 gears,,,, that thing would out run most cars from a red light and pure black soot for a mile behind it...........haha....:gr_grin:

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Non of our cars are emissions exempt, exempt from testing is all.. Do you have a drivers license?? Why its just another stupid government rule. You can call me Greata all you want NBD name calling is what idiots do.yes my links showed europe and vietnam, countries who DIDN'T enact a fresh air law and the consquences, I did not realize this guy was too stupid to put that together, way to go reckless you're a freakin moron.

I don't have any problem with polluting less. It's the smarter thing to do seeing as how we have to live where we pollute. If all the pollution got teleported to venus then I'd disagree. Never really knew if it was doing all that much on my particular vehicle though. Replacing a dead cat seemed to make a huge difference. But from this thread it looks like it would be a bad idea all the way around to mess with the emission system.

But driver's licenses are a bad idea. Because the first thing the government will do when you get on their nerves, is take away licensing. A license is permission seeking, and I deny the need for their permission to do anything.

So all you do is require a driving test just like you have now. But once a qualified instructor is satisfied that you're a capable operator, they simply file that "John Doe passed the test and meets the requirements necessary to operate the vehicle". You get a copy of the file. No license, no renewal, nothing for the government to hold over your head. But you do have to go pass the test.

Crimes aren't an issue either. Taking away some drunk's license can't stop them from driving, and the same thing happens to them if they're caught again anyway. Licensing is nothing but an attempt to fake people out, trying to convince them that there's a piece of paper they need to hold in high esteem. Or else. When the consequences are the same regardless, the drunk can still go to jail for driving after the judge passes sentence. That can happen license or no license. You'll find this line of reasoning applies to most (if not all) forms of licensing.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
For me, it's because of the bad smelling exhaust, I want to clean it up. It doesn't matter how the engine is tuned, the exhaust stinks, bad. I will be adding a cat the Crusty Biscuit, too, when I get that truck running again for the same reasons.
I'm just going to mention this on here, make sure that you get the right CAT for your truck. Most modern or high flow cats are going to be a honeycomb design and will not function properly in the stock location on a carbureted truck. You will need to either relocate them(still not ideal), or you will need to get a replacement pellet CAT. The honeycomb cats need to be located within a certain distance from the exhaust valve in order to light off and function and even then, they likely won't do that and will plug up because they don't have the benefit of the EFI programming. The EFI programming is specifically designed to light the cats off as early as possible on startup before leaning out the mixture.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm just going to mention this on here, make sure that you get the right CAT for your truck. Most modern or high flow cats are going to be a honeycomb design and will not function properly in the stock location on a carbureted truck. You will need to either relocate them(still not ideal), or you will need to get a replacement pellet CAT. The honeycomb cats need to be located within a certain distance from the exhaust valve in order to light off and function and even then, they likely won't do that and will plug up because they don't have the benefit of the EFI programming. The EFI programming is specifically designed to light the cats off as early as possible on startup before leaning out the mixture.
Thank you. I was planning to put it as close as possible to the manifolds, basically right where the y-pipe converges. Hopefully that is close enough

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thank you. I was planning to put it as close as possible to the manifolds, basically right where the y-pipe converges. Hopefully that is close enough
That's my plan as well. I'm running long tubes, so basically I Have gone about 1" back from the merge and installed the upstream O2 sensor bung, then cut off the garbage three hole flange and welded on a V-band clamp. Then welded the other side of the v-band clamp to the converter and then the downstream O2 bung. Then you continue on with whatever else you have for the exhaust.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's my plan as well. I'm running long tubes, so basically I Have gone about 1" back from the merge and installed the upstream O2 sensor bung, then cut off the garbage three hole flange and welded on a V-band clamp. Then welded the other side of the v-band clamp to the converter and then the downstream O2 bung. Then you continue on with whatever else you have for the exhaust.
Are the bungs for an AFR meter? I have no computer controls on my rig, and wasn't planning to add O2 sensors or bungs.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Are the bungs for an AFR meter? I have no computer controls on my rig, and wasn't planning to add O2 sensors or bungs.
I'm not putting the cats in until I convert to EFI. I need upstream for fuel trims and both upstream and downstream to monitor and optimize cat function and longevity. There's one additional bung in there for the wideband, but it is only there during the initial tuning of WOT. Running rich will clog or burn the cats out pretty fast. If you are planning on adding a honeycomb style cat, you should at least have a wideband in there to make sure you have your carb tuned up enough to prevent destroying the cat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag