Smog this beotch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Everything I have done to my 85 has been in the opposite direction of getting it to pass a smog test. In the near future I will need it to pas a smog test.

I have a 305 with a valve train problem, the rings also seem to be **** since it smokes after its warmed up enough. Just to get the truck to run right i have changed over to a non EGR Edelbrock intake square bore style. The air pump was laying in the bed of the truck when I got it and I threw it away.

What I am thinking: Crate 350, bolting the original intake manifold from the 305 to it. Buying a new quadrajet carburator and replacing the little vacuum tree's and finding info on re installing all the vacuum lines.

I have been googling this trying to find info and noticed people are using after market parts to pass smog, my question is.... Can I keep my carter afb carb and still pass emmisions if i got another new intake with EGR? This is all pretty confusing.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Depends on how strict the state is on it. Some require all original smog equipment to be in place and functional. Here, however all you really need is cats. It might be easier to find someone who will sell ya a bootleg.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
You have to do a smog test on an '85? When is the cutoff where you're exempt??

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Its in Arizona and they seem strict.

The cutoff to make them exempt is 76.

I am almost tempted to find a cab from a Diesel and swap it out with mine haha. I think that would mean no smog.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
In my area they can only make you pay up to 500 bucks trying ot get it to pass, anything over that you fill out a waiver with the repairs you did and the amounts and they have to put a smog sticker on your vehicle.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
In my area they can only make you pay up to 500 bucks trying ot get it to pass, anything over that you fill out a waiver with the repairs you did and the amounts and they have to put a smog sticker on your vehicle.

You are on to something, I was reading about waivers but I guess I miss understood. I would pay 500 bucks to not worry about it passing emissions.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You are on to something, I was reading about waivers but I guess I miss understood. I would pay 500 bucks to not worry about it passing emissions.

It's there mostly to make you try and fix it, and to prove you did and what you spent, and to protect the consumer from inspection shop price gouging, which they are famous for doing to women in my town. Not sure about the laws where you are. :think:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
It's there mostly to make you try and fix it, and to prove you did and what you spent, and to protect the consumer from inspection shop price gouging, which they are famous for doing to women in my town. Not sure about the laws where you are. :think:

I think its the same in Az, correct me if I am wrong, If I just drop off the 85 at a shop and say "make it pass smog" they will respond with me needing to buy a new intake manifold and carburator putting the price over 500 bucks.

I would spend 500 bucks on parts to not have to worry about it passing smog anymore.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah, I see, that mey be the same case here too, I am not sure. According to that you only get one. So if you have to do it again next year you are f'd. ***** a pain in the ass, these trucks are over 20 years old for christ sake. Aint nothing like the big diesels put out, awww, don;t get me started, lol....

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yeah, I see, that mey be the same case here too, I am not sure. According to that you only get one. So if you have to do it again next year you are f'd. ***** a pain in the ass, these trucks are over 20 years old for christ sake. Aint nothing like the big diesels put out, awww, don;t get me started, lol....

Yes, 20 years should be the cutoff for smogging. Its not like there is going to be a huge influx of people driving trucks from 1985, not enough to cause impact anyways.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Do you have he original emissions sticker? Can you shoot a picture of it?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Do you have he original emissions sticker? Can you shoot a picture of it?

I do, not sure if I could restore it to readable though. I got it clean enough to make out the "UHK" I think it was.... my chilton manual had a diagram of the vacuum hoses and bs.

I had it all connected at one point minus the air pump but have slowly phased out everything trying to get it to run better.

There was one small round item mounted on the front of the motor with vacuum fittings that fell off on my trip to Reno, if I remember right the item was not even pictured in the book.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Find a K20 diesel with a bad engine and swap it no need for emissions testings that way. California is the same way but Nevada? i don't know.

I'm lucky since my state doesn't have emissions and inspections.
good luck Jason.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have been considering the Diesel thing, I have herd of people getting away with switching vin tags to diesel ones but I am afraid of prison.

This smog **** is horrible, I am considering just finding somewhere out of the city limits I dont have to smog my ****.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reese68