Smog delete question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bootlegger

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
I need advice here. My 86 1 ton 454 somehow still has every piece of the original smog equipment! I think it is California emissions because there are 2 smog pumps. (?)
Anyway my question would be , on the exhaust manifolds, can I remove the plumbing from each side and just use pipe plugs to block them off?
Also, there are so many vacuum lines going to the carb that I wonder if I should just buy a new one?
Thanks

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I need advice here. My 86 1 ton 454 somehow still has every piece of the original smog equipment! I think it is California emissions because there are 2 smog pumps. (?)
Anyway my question would be , on the exhaust manifolds, can I remove the plumbing from each side and just use pipe plugs to block them off?
Also, there are so many vacuum lines going to the carb that I wonder if I should just buy a new one?
Thanks

You can remove the pumps and plug the ports, but you will not see any benifits power wise, unless they are siezed up. Weight removal, about 10-15 lbs in this case is always good.
As far as vac lines, there may be one going to each bypass valve.
Do you still have the emissions sticker?
Q- jet is the best carb, just plug any lines you remove.

bootlegger

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
I believe there is a diagram sticker on the air filter housing. I'd probably be way confused by that. I'm also worried about the vacuum advance.
There is a small manifold that comes off of the thermostat housing with 3 more vacuum lines attached.!!??
I agree with the q-jet reliability but there are so many ports on that carb I'm afraid it would look like a Rastafarian by the time I plugged them all.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I removed both pumps on my old '86, I just left the lines in the manifolds and pinched the outlet closed. I didn't remove the pumps and related stuff to gain power, the biggest benefit was room under the hood. It did require a shorter Alt belt though. I can get the part # if needed, or I think I posted it in a thread around here somewhere too.

bootlegger

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
Well I'll need to figure out how to drive the alternator.There was one wide serpentine style belt that drove the lower smog pump and alternator from the crank.Now that smog pump is gone so I'm not sure how to drive the alternator yet.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well I'll need to figure out how to drive the alternator.There was one wide serpentine style belt that drove the lower smog pump and alternator from the crank.Now that smog pump is gone so I'm not sure how to drive the alternator yet.

That's what the shorter belt is for.

bootlegger

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
OK.just seems funny to run a serpentine belt to one accessory.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's how it was done on the small blocks of the 80's too. It's really not a serpentine belt either, since it doesn't drive anything on it's backside, not sure why GM did it that way. I'm not at home, so I can't go get the part# right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1