Show me your electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Went to the junk yard this morning, they actually let me walk around with my tape measure. Sure enough they did have several Windstars, and I even found one with the radiator & grill removed so the fan assembly was easy pickin's. All I needed was my knife, used as wire cutters by closing the blade on the heavy gauge wires. We hooked them up to a battery they had on hand just to verify they worked, and I was good to go at only $40.

When I got home I set it in place on the truck and noticed the driver side mounts were in a good location to be attached to the radiator support using long bolts

Perfect, thanks for the pics. I'll be doing this tomorrow hopefully. I've been looking for this for about 30 minutes. Thanks Again. Gonna put a shortcut to this in my 5.3 thread.

Mobius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Heavy Half
Engine Size
350 SBC
I'll toss my fan kit out there for another option-it's a new set of fans from a 2010 F150 with my 3-speed conversion harness-it uses (2) 100A and (2) 50A relays and a fixed resistor board circuit to vary resistance to give you three speeds....

I know this post is a little old, but does this fit a small block radiator? How much is your controller harness?

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No it does not-it barely fits a BBC or diesel radiator.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Just cheap fans, but a huge diesel radiator. I can barely get to 150 with the fans on on our hottest days.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You know, over the years there have been many threads on electric fan conversions on numerous web forums. I'm honestly surprised that I've never seen someone use a box fan plugged into a power inverter. Seems a logical choice, especially with leaf blower turbos being all the rage :rofl:

Mobius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Heavy Half
Engine Size
350 SBC
Just ordered a dual fan controller from Summit, a 2010 Chevy fan/shroud assembly, CS144 alternator and wiring harness with resistor. Will hopefully be putting it all in in a couple weeks. My truck cools ok now, but I’m really hoping the electric fan will help keep my A/C colder in traffic. On a related note: I’m planning to wire it up so the temp switch will turn it on, and also the A/C clutch wire. That way it’s always on when the A/C is on, but will also come on if the A/C is off but it gets too warm. My question is does it make sense to have the A/C kick on both fans, or just one?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Just ordered a dual fan controller from Summit, a 2010 Chevy fan/shroud assembly, CS144 alternator and wiring harness with resistor. Will hopefully be putting it all in in a couple weeks. My truck cools ok now, but I’m really hoping the electric fan will help keep my A/C colder in traffic. On a related note: I’m planning to wire it up so the temp switch will turn it on, and also the A/C clutch wire. That way it’s always on when the A/C is on, but will also come on if the A/C is off but it gets too warm. My question is does it make sense to have the A/C kick on both fans, or just one?

I just rewired my whole setup to run on a relay. It made a big difference in draw on my alternator. So your summit setup should be great.

Still on a switch though. Water crossings make it necessary for me to have that control.

Took me all day(pain, swollen feet. LOL). So I only drove it like 5 miles. But it seems to have really made a difference.

Worth it. All I had was the blue wire. Lol

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Personally, I'd have the A/C kick both fans on.

Mobius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Heavy Half
Engine Size
350 SBC
That’s what I’m leaning toward.

Mobius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Heavy Half
Engine Size
350 SBC
I just rewired my whole setup to run on a relay. It made a big difference in draw on my alternator. So your summit setup should be great.

Still on a switch though. Water crossings make it necessary for me to have that control.

Took me all day(pain, swollen feet. LOL). So I only drove it like 5 miles. But it seems to have really made a difference.

Worth it. All I had was the blue wire. Lol

BTW, I’m in Fayetteville!

Mobius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Heavy Half
Engine Size
350 SBC
Awesome. Mal isn’t much to look at, but he runs (usually).

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here’s the dual 14” fan assembly, pre-wired and ready to go minus mounting hardware. These fans are reported to move 6,000 CFM together so they require a serious relay kit-I use a resistor setup for 3 speeds in parallel as well as 100A rated load relays and a 50A switching relay. This is an OEM Motorcraft fan assembly so the quality is leaps superior to anything on the typical aftermarket.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Here’s the dual 14” fan assembly, pre-wired and ready to go minus mounting hardware. These fans are reported to move 6,000 CFM together so they require a serious relay kit-I use a resistor setup for 3 speeds in parallel as well as 100A rated load relays and a 50A switching relay. This is an OEM Motorcraft fan assembly so the quality is leaps superior to anything on the typical aftermarket.

what is this setup from? I need as much fan as possible for my vette.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes